Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prolonging Engine Life
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Quick question for everyone, other than trying to keep everything as original as possible and not beating on the engine, what other things could we all be doing to prolong the life of our old engines?

As for me, I added the oil dipstick temperature reader and my engine already had an oil sump installed which I think is a phenomenal addition.

Any others?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Oil filter.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Oil filter.

I need to add this to my winter to-do list.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Oil filter.

This. In conjunction with regular oil changes and valve adjustments.

My two VWs each has Maxi2. Since early 1980s on my 1835cc engine, that one states "Claude's Buggies" !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Quick question for everyone, other than trying to keep everything as original as possible and not beating on the engine, what other things could we all be doing to prolong the life of our old engines?

As for me, I added the oil dipstick temperature reader and my engine already had an oil sump installed which I think is a phenomenal addition.

Any others?

Keep it parked and locked in a garage. 😀 drive your car enjoy it and address problems as they arise, feel the wind in your hair.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Use the right oil, such as one with zinc like Brad Penn.

Working thermostat and flaps.

Correct ignition timing.

Correct carb air/fuel mixture.

All factory tin.

All body to engine seals.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

The most obvious—after taking into account all the good advice already given— is to check your oil level once a week. Smell it, too. An overfilled sump with the smell of gasoline in the oil, if caught early enough, doesn’t have to be a big bummer.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Oil pressure gauge. I keep my eye on that one.

Also, a tachometer. Keeps me out of the red.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

I'd say keep your engine as cool as possible anyway you can when operating under load.

Anything you can do to help your engine stay cool when it's hot under load is a good thing. I'm a true believer in having a cylinder head temp gauge.

Head temps can vary widely and quickly. A responsive cylinder head temp gauge will tell where your engine is at, at any given moment.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

Keeping it cool is important, however I see you are in the mid-west, like myself,
make sure it get's WARM enough, burn's the moisture out of crank case, moisture reacts badly in the oil, check inside your oil cap for the yellow slime after you drive, most old engines I take apart from this area are not burnt, they are sludged up and rusted.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I'd say keep your engine as cool as possible

Too cool will increase wear. That's why I added thermostat and flaps. It needs to be at operating temp.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Keeping it cool is important, however I see you are in the mid-west, like myself,
make sure it get's WARM enough, burn's the moisture out of crank case, moisture reacts badly in the oil, check inside your oil cap for the yellow slime after you drive, most old engines I take apart from this area are not burnt, they are sludged up and rusted.

Can I get an Amen😀 correct looks something like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you look real close I believe you can see water droplets but I had only driven it about three miles prior to doing some routine maintenance I make it a point to run it on the highway for at least a hour or more.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Prolonging Engine Life Reply with quote

It's a little outside the box, but an oil preheat system and a proper air/oil separator are good additions. On engines that tend to run too cool (like mine), I consider these to be essential, especially when cold weather arrives.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: