Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is this?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: what is this? Reply with quote

This is a steel tube from my parts stash. I took the time to clean and paint it years ago to keep it from rusting so it has to have some use. Think it is somewhere in the Emissions or Carbon Canister system but can't figure it out. Anyone recognize it? AAR connector maybe at the elbow?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

looks like a US Quarter dollar to me, Denver mint. $0.25
What's on the other side?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

Its just what you noted it is.

They are joiners for hoses. I have found these on 12mm hoses in 411 and 412 cars.
In later vehicles....buses and some what cooled vehicles.....they are more commonly used on semi-rigid vacuum and PCV tubing.....think vinyl/plastic tube snd not so much for rubber hoses.

Yes....on my vehicle they are used on the charcoal canister hoses so that you do not have to disconnect it from the far end and disconnect from all of the hold down loops it may be running through. Its just a re-connectable break point in the hose. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

It goes on the s boot in one of the two hoses that connects to it that are side by side.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
It goes on the s boot in one of the two hoses that connects to it that are side by side.

too small. That is why I put a quarter in the photo. I am pretty sure it sits in the AAR elbow to transition to a hose, and Ray confirmed it. The fiche just shows a cloth hose to the elbow. Something has to join them.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

too small. That is why I put a quarter in the photo. I am pretty sure it sits in the AAR elbow to transition to a hose, and Ray confirmed it. The fiche just shows a cloth hose to the elbow. Something has to join them.

Do I get anything for being close:p
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

here is another item. Anyone recognize it?

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
here is another item. Anyone recognize it?

Our westy has a couple of those, one is on the sliding door shut where the little light switch sits.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

yes - it covers where the light switch would be. Awesome!
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

Sorted! Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

The tube thingy looks like a fancy version of the coupler on early type 4 canister purge hoses, it goes in the upward facing end of the rubber elbow that attaches to the left end of the cooling shroud near the coil to connect the hose to the canister to.
To the left of the coil below:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The tube thingy looks like a fancy version of the coupler on early type 4 canister purge hoses, it goes in the upward facing end of the rubber elbow that attaches to the left end of the cooling shroud near the coil to connect the hose to the canister to.
To the left of the coil below:

So there was an elbow there? Same size as the AAR?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

Never compared them, same as the balance tubes on carb models, 12mm IIRC.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

021 129 639

Same elbow as on the bent tube on the left side carb '72-'74. Normally the sleeve in there is a just a piece of 12mm OD thin wall tube but maybe that widget is for there also.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
021 129 639

Same elbow as on the bent tube on the left side carb '72-'74. Normally the sleeve in there is a just a piece of 12mm OD thin wall tube but maybe that widget is for there also.

I have seen some using a straight piece of thin wall tube over the years....and I have also...when I lost this flanged tube connector part.

The flange just keeps it from slipping too far into the first tube/hose you push it into.

The problem with this little part is that when your hoses get greasy or old....it has tendency to fall out of the end of one hose or the other. If they had made them about 10mm longer on each end they would be perfect.

Depending on where you use these hose connector parts...and what size the hose is...the part number may vary. However to most charcoal cannisters the hoses "should" be 12mm.

Just to show you where else they may be found:

These are from 411 and 412 (probably 914 as well)

They have it here....listed as part # 26 in the fiche. Also shows other vehicles that use it. They call it "intermediate piece".

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/zwischenstueck-1b27f8.html

Also listed here...and they list a part #19...which is 025 133 199...which is the larger diameter one that goes into the TB boot (on my car). Might be helpful to bus guys too.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+3+typ+4+k70/t3/1973-34/1/133-18000/#19

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: