Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doka Syncro Fuel Filter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Doka Syncro Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Hi kids. Well today was an exercise in futility attempting a tuneup on the 89 Syncro Doka. I foolishly assumed that a regular Vanagon tuneup kit would be okay and that assumption was a mistake. I've since learned my Euro spec DJ engine uses different plugs, wires, distributor. So a wasted day.

So on to the fuel filter. I've read the posts about the US spec Syncro filter location but I believe the Doka is a little different. Can anyone with a Euro spec Syncro Doka give some tips to hopefully save a bit of frustration. I cannot even locate it but seems it should lurk somewhere in the drivers wheel well? What must I remove to get to it. Any advice on doing the job would be appreciated and save my dumb ass hours of poking around. Thanks.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro Fuel Filter Reply with quote

I would follow the fuel line from the fuel pump then I will find the fuel filter.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Since a DJ uses Digijet injection from a 1.9L, I wonder if you can just order a tuneup kit for an '83 to '85 1.9L WBX.

The Syncro fuel filter sits behind the spring perch on the driver side. It's a stupid place for anything. I seem to recall you need to remove the fuel tank charcoal filter in order to access the fuel filter. Personally, if I had a Syncro, I'd relocate the filter to the engine compartment.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd relocate the filter to the engine compartment.

Yes and make sure it's away from the engine heat. I did that on my Syncro and put the filter in the empty space at the bottom of the driver sider pillar, away from the heat.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro Fuel Filter Reply with quote

I see where it's at. Appears the only way to do the job is to work by feel from the wheel well. I'll give it a shot.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Got it done, would have been simple if the bolt that holds the filter in the bracket wasn't rusted so it needed cutting. Next time it will be a 20 minute job. Wasn't so hard that I would bother relocating it either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: