Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

primer and dollies
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: primer and dollies Reply with quote

my first question is about priming. After what grit of sandpaper do you guys start priming? Ive been using 36, 80, 150 and then prime. Some people have said prime after the 80. what say you guys?
My second question is in regards to dollies. Im trying to find a low crown dolly that is good for vw roofs and doors. Ive been using comma and heel dollys and im starting to think I need something a bit less crowned. Anybody got a recommendation or a favorite vw dolly?
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

you use large body work spoons. They 2-1/2 x 6 and have usually a handle. Not too heavy and easy to hold
greg73super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

I prime 220 grit scratches. The finer the better. Primer will shrink back and will show heavy grit scratches after paint.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

For spi epoxy primer they recommend you scuff bare metal to 80 grit, for painting over old paint or primer, then 150 is ok. Pretty much all epoxy primers will have best adhesion this way.

If your using a 2k urethane primer then I'd recommend 150-220 grit.

The higher the grit, the better the adhesion. You just have to apply 2-4 coats which will fill sand scratches, then just sand it down after. If your seeing scratches you didn't use enough product.

Also, before final painting, sand primer with 220, 320, 400/500, 600. Stop at 600 for single stage urethane. For base/clear you go a little finer.

Dolly's come in too many shapes and sizes to name. Many are custom, rare, etc. There are 1,000s of varieties. That is sort of the art of them... there is one for every job. Start collecting Twisted Evil Laughing

I also would recommend a nice spoon large spoon shaped dolly with a bent handle, those are great for bug roof/hood work.
Such as these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-1045-Auto-Body-S...890.l49292
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Auto-Body-Heavy-2...890.l49292
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Auto-Body-Porter-Ferg...890.l49292
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

Never thought of a spoon. Great idea. As far as priming i was thinking finer is better. I had a guy tell me i should start pring at 80.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

benchracer1 wrote:
Never thought of a spoon. Great idea. As far as priming i was thinking finer is better. I had a guy tell me i should start pring at 80.

Anywhere from 80 to 220. It really depends on WHAT TYPE of primer and what the manufacturer of said primer recommends. Those are the basics. Don't go finer than 220.

I generally like to stay on the grittier side of things, and then apply the primer more heavily, with more coats (as opposed to less coats of more thinned out material) Its makes the adhesion better in the long run, especially for epoxy based primers.

Some of it simply comes down to preference.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

Will you be using a high build primer?
benchracer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

I generally use the custom shop dtm primer surfacer. I used that spoon idea last night. Worked bitchin. Im going to make another spoon with no handle but a weight on the back
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: primer and dollies Reply with quote

I used poly primer for my high build and shoot it over 80, but use three thick coats and let it cure for a week so it shrinks back and then block at 180 and finish at 320 dry. I then shoot an epoxy seal coat and then TCP Restorationshop single stage AU.
Every paint system has different requirements so it’s best to read the spec sheet.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: