Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A "GEX" story... the horror.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

So I bought a Gex 1776 hi performance Long block. They suggested I run dual Weber 40’s . I asked them about running a single 2 barel Weber but apparently that creates a flat spot in in the rpm curve. I really don’t want the extra work/ tuning time with 2 carbs. My type 1 is and will be driven at a daily. Was looking as the Rad (?) 2 barel 350 cFM set up , intake , carb, and linkage it a bit spendy. Any suggestions.
The motor is GEX rebuilt hi performance 1776 whit no major add ons did get the super tins though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

GEX? Shocked

Uh, if you can't send it back-

Maybe a set of 40 HPMX carbs, or a set of Weber 40 IDFs from a reputable online shop like CB performance. A single two barrel sucks unless you have little other choice.

What are the complete specs? Cam, heads, valve springs, etc? What exhaust do you wish to run?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Oh come on, that have a A+ rating from the BBB.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ar/booneville/profile/new-auto-parts/gex-international-0935-4001143

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

It is a common misconception that a single carb is less problems than duels, the opposite is true.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Oh come on, that have a A+ rating from the BBB.

I believe that just means that the company responded in apparent good faith to an official complaint through BBB.

My only hands on experience with BBB was when Montgomery Wards would not own up to its written battery warranty for my VW battery, so I entered a complaint. 6 months later MW offered a discounted battery to me - duh!!! I'd already replaced the battery, but goes as a complaint responded to.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Not sure about the a+ Better Business comment, Sarcasm? Really looking forward to getting the engine. No negative on my part . Just an air cooled novice trying to figure things out . The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask ! The motor specs : Double Thrust Cam Bearing
NEW Big Valve Dual Port Heads 39 mm intake valves and 32 mm exhaust valves
8 Dowel Crankshaft & Flywheel 69 mm stroke
Guessing, stock/normal compression ratio
Heavy Duty Oil Pump
Hi Carbon Steel Pushrods
GEX 110 Cam 431 inches lift and 284 degree duration.
Heavy Duty Swivel Adjusters
Bolt on Aluminum Valve Covers
Solid Heavy Duty Rocker Shafts not sure the Ratio , I should ask
Cima Mahle Piston & Cyl. set
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30033
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30033

I'll save you a step.
busboyjake wrote:
hello, i've had three GEX engines go bad within days or months because of internal problems, i now am asking for a refund, but i seem to be getting nowhere, will i ever see my money again? have any of you ever had this experience, or know anyone there that i can deal with? Help!!!!
thanks

Moderator note:
This thread has been locked in favor of this longer GEX thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92079

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Dstolan83 wrote:
Not sure about the a+ Better Business comment, Sarcasm?

Yes...

GEX sells crap. Don''t believe what the spec sheet says. And their machine work is less than acceptable.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

I worked for GEX in the 70’s when it was in CA. I know first hand there was little to no attempt to have quality. They exchanged junk rebuilds for pristine OG cores.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Back to the original question....

Get dual carbs. They run better and are NOT any harder to tune. I've been running dual carbs since 1978. That was my daily driver until 1998. it was never garaged and out in the rain and show.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

GEX still builds motors ????? Shocked
Dstolan83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Now you guys got me a little worried hopefully they stand by they warranty. When I talked to Larry and was asking him questions and brought up the “Bob Hoover oil mod “ and his response was “ I have no idea what you are talking about and I have been building motors for 34 years”. Did kinda throw a huge red flag. Should I cancel my order? Ordered it last Friday and was told it’s 3 to 4 weeks out
Will look into the dual carbs . Any brand to stay away from? I was leaning towards the Weber’s build by Redline Performance
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Dstolan83 wrote:
Should I cancel my order? Ordered it last Friday and was told it’s 3 to 4 weeks out

I would.

At least to do some research on them.

There are many other very good and reasonable builders.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

You will get better MPG with dual carbs when tuned correctly.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

I second cancelling your order now if that is still an option. Look at the vendor feedback thread. You can get complete Weber kits with different linkage air cleaner options from John @ Air Cooled Net as well, or CB Performance.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

run away from GEX if it's not too late! the single 2 barrel as mentioned is harder to make run right. and will get mileage like a v-8 . 40idfs are easy to setup. I can't believe GEX is still around. I have seen some of there sweet work first hand! Shocked
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

Dstolan83 wrote:
Now you guys got me a little worried hopefully they stand by they warranty. When I talked to Larry and was asking him questions and brought up the “Bob Hoover oil mod “ and his response was “ I have no idea what you are talking about and I have been building motors for 34 years”. Did kinda throw a huge red flag. Should I cancel my order? Ordered it last Friday and was told it’s 3 to 4 weeks out
Will look into the dual carbs . Any brand to stay away from? I was leaning towards the Weber’s build by Redline Performance

I would run, I remember Larry trying to weasel out of warranties. For Larry VW’s were income and nothing more, no passion for trying to make the engine better. He did not care. Build the engine yourself from the advice of people who care. Carbs? I like to rebuild old Italian Weber dual throats, dcnf, idf and ida. Dan
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

CANCEL THE ORDER.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing the right carb set up for GEX 1776 Reply with quote

I didn't know they were still in business.

Never heard of Gene Berg? Well even if you don't buy into his mantra, anyone who builds VW engines should know his name and the things he did.

It's your money. But I'd worry about more than what carbs you want to run.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: