Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A "GEX" story... the horror.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's how GEX shortens their pushrods.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

^^^^^^
Genius

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:

Here's how GEX shortens their pushrods.

d'oh!

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

In the newest Hotvw's magazine, there is a featured manx article and I see in the specs hes proud to list his GEX Crank, GEX Rods, and GEX "big valve" heads. I think "Big Valve" is as dumb as freeway flier. But if anyone is going to have their car featured in Hotvw's magazine, how are they gonna brag that they have GEX parts? All i can say, is some of the stuff that makes it into magazines is nuts. Robert Kings bug could have blessed those pages, or some other cool car with actual Hot rod parts or some type of craftmanship.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

15 years ago, bought a GEX 1835 for my Bug. On initial fire up, oil started leaking from seemingly everywhere. I checked everything a few times, oil cooler seals, dizzy seal and so on. Sitting idling, oil would be actively dripping from.....the case half seal.....is that right???

Every single nut on the case halves were merely snug, not torqued. Torqued and ran the engine for a while. Wound up selling it month later. Never sat well with me.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: The "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

TTT .

Way back when they were in Baldwin Park, Ca. I tried them for a pair of rebuilt single port 1600 heads, they went right on but within 150 miles an INLET VALVE failed and that cylinder lost compression .

When I removed the head the edge of the valve was knife edged ~ this isn't allowed on any valve ever .

I figured the guy would want to know he had a goof ball dong the valves, instead he glanced at the head and said 'I'll give you another but YOU caused this by not properly adjusting the valves .

As I entered the place there were maybe six guys disassembling core engines and discarding all the good German hardware and sheet metal etc........

This makes ZERO SENSE *if* you know anything about air cooled VW's .

Because I speak passable Spanish I tried to talk to these guys, they shrugged and said "? who cares ? we get paid to strip this junk" .

Needled to say I never went back .

FWIW, if you can still get new Mexican 1600 twin port engines, DO SO ! I bought one for my other wise stock 1968 Typ II Panel truck, I worked it hard (carefully) as it's a one ton truck and at that time I had a G.F. in Scottsdale I'd drive the truck out to see her and visit Jerome etc., never any issues with it .

When I stopped using it my son asked for it, took the 20,000 + mile leak free engine out and put it into his vintage Sand Blaster Dune Buggy and cobbled up a turbo charger for it (Mexican engines are low compression) it's been racing out in the Desert and beating the pants off of V8 American cars for over TEN YEARS and still runs AS-NEW .

Not cheap but worth every penny .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

GEX used to run full page ads in Hot VWs & Dune Buggies back in the '70s. They have a long history with them.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
GEX used to run full page ads in Hot VWs & Dune Buggies back in the '70s. They have a long history with them.
Yep, I was going to say... this stuff just comes off as shameless marketing/ad crap. Magazine product placement FTL
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

You would think someone would offer quality built short and long blocks, on a nice website where you could order them easily.

But given the market for such, it may not be a business model that makes sense anymore. But there are folks with deep pockets who would pay a lot to pick a solid rebuild off a website for some collectable restoration.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/d/graham-all-100-new-empi-long-blocks/7621130254.html
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/d/graham-all-100-new-empi-long-blocks/7621130254.html

Looks like all mild builds.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

In 2016-2017 I rebuilt my 1600cc DP engine, so keep in mind these prices are from then:
$640 engine case measurement, align bore, case savers, main and connecting rod bearings, install gears onto crankshaft, refurbish cylinder heads (included a little welding and tapping for broken cylinder studs), $10 labor to machine flywheel for correct endplay
$3 crankshaft oil seal
$14.50 new gland nut
$11.50 gasket set
$20 new pushrod tubes
$153 Moresa pistons/cylinders/Grant rings
$95 new connecting rods
$23 new lifters
other incidentals incidentals like 85.5mm ring compressor, engine oil, brass nuts for the exhaust, etc. I was likely up to $1200.

In addition to that longblock cost, I rebuilt the 30/31 carburetor and Pierburg fuel pump, bought a new exhaust header, bought a new pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch disc, and bought a used VW air cleaner.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Fender38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
type241 wrote:

Looks like all mild builds.

Yeah, a 1915cc with a stock cam is what I’ve always wanted.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A "GEX" story... the horror. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
In the newest Hotvw's magazine, there is a featured manx article and I see in the specs hes proud to list his GEX Crank, GEX Rods, and GEX "big valve" heads. I think "Big Valve" is as dumb as freeway flier. But if anyone is going to have their car featured in Hotvw's magazine, how are they gonna brag that they have GEX parts? All i can say, is some of the stuff that makes it into magazines is nuts. Robert Kings bug could have blessed those pages, or some other cool car with actual Hot rod parts or some type of craftmanship.

I guess that just goes to show you that... well, I'm not sure. I guess standards and cluelessness can get muddled into something a casual subscriber may never notice...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: