Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waste Holding Tank
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1977VWCampmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

Hello!

I am looking to install a compact toilet (likely a Thetford 135) under the couch on the right-hand side of my 1977 VW Campmobile. (If someone else has done this and used a different, better toilet, I'm all ears!) I'd like to avoid keeping the contents inside of the bus if at all possible. As a result, I'd like to install a waste holding tank under the bus and connect the chute from the toilet directly to the waste tank so I can drain it from the outside. Unfortunately, my bus is in body and paint at the moment and I am unable to measure the distance between frame members as well as the depth from the bottom of the floor to the bottom of the frame members.

Has anyone done this before and, if so, what did you use/do? Otherwise, if someone could please provide the measurements stated above, that'd be great, too!

Thanks so much!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

Too many factors in play. Take a visit to the shop where your bus is and do your planing. I think any rv toilet like Thedford would be too tall to fit under the rear seat

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

I will say, as disgusting as it sounds, having a Thetford (or any other porta) in the Bus doesn't stink like you would think. Camping with a wife and 2 kids, we had no choice but to add a toilet. There's been more than a few occasions where the toilet hasn't been emptied for a week or 2 between trips, and sealed up in the hot Bus, there was no smell.
That being said, check the Vamagon forums. There are a few write-ups about using a 5' PVC pipe as a grey water tank. Maybe you could work something out like that with a Bay?

The most important thing to remember (and my family know this well)- rule #1 is nobody goes number #2 in the Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

I’ll put in a plug for Dometic as being a great company that stands behind their products well. I’ve got a 17 year old Porta that I thought was headed for the dump, but they still carried parts. I wish I could get everyone to switch to them, a movement as it were.
1977VWCampmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I will say, as disgusting as it sounds, having a Thetford (or any other porta) in the Bus doesn't stink like you would think. Camping with a wife and 2 kids, we had no choice but to add a toilet. There's been more than a few occasions where the toilet hasn't been emptied for a week or 2 between trips, and sealed up in the hot Bus, there was no smell.
That being said, check the Vamagon forums. There are a few write-ups about using a 5' PVC pipe as a grey water tank. Maybe you could work something out like that with a Bay?

The most important thing to remember (and my family know this well)- rule #1 is nobody goes number #2 in the Bus.

Thanks for the idea! In this case, my wife and I are moving into the bus full time. We both finally work from home and this has been a dream of mine for some time. (We only just got married and I'm doing this upgrade for her benefit. She's new to vanlife and I've done it for a short time years ago before I decided to restore the bus) I've already made some minor upgrades like solar, diesel heat, and cell/wifi boosters. We plan on staying in cold weather and I'm not gonna make my wife go outside in freezing temperatures when we're boondocking. I wonder if I could add a second cut-off between the toilet bowl and pipe/tank to act as an airlock to help with the #2 possibilities. If I figure something out, I'll lay it out here so others can do the same, should they want.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

This seem like a lot of work to take a pee. Here’s another option, cheap and easy. I mean, it’s not like you’re gonna get up in the middle of the night and fold up the bed to go pee.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/reliance-lugg...lsrc=aw.ds
’65 Deluxe Build
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

if you are going to live in freezing temperatures. (and why would you choose to if you have a choice)
but anyways. poop and pee in an undermounted tank WILL FREEZE
both causing a flow issue. and potentially a rupture issue.

really over thinking this and a portable cassette toilet will work just fine.
they make ones that slip under the seat height or taller 'seating' heights.. all depends on your expected holding/dumping intervals. and it's far, far easier to dump the base of the cassette toilet than finding a place to unload your DIY holding tank of limited real capacity.. also note you won't know the level untill it's full. then.. well there's little 2nd chance..

many many people get along just fine with cassette toilets.. in our regional camping group I think there were at least 12 different VWs running one, some quite nicely fitted with slip covers or boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
if you are going to live in freezing temperatures. (and why would you choose to if you have a choice)
both causing a flow issue. and potentially a rupture issue.

really over thinking this and a portable cassette toilet will work just fine.
they make ones that slip under the seat height or taller 'seating' heights.. all depends on your expected holding/dumping intervals. and it's far, far easier to dump the base of the cassette toilet than finding a place to unload your DIY holding tank of limited real capacity.. also note you won't know the level untill it's full. then.. well there's little 2nd chance..

many many people get along just fine with cassette toilets.. in our regional camping group I think there were at least 12 different VWs running one, some quite nicely fitted with slip covers or boxes.

This seems like the right answer... If you're camping in cold weather, you might want the option to sleep in the lower bunk with top down. Which would mean everyone wakes up if someone had to potty. Also, the bottom seat cushion of the Westy bed doesn't lift all the way up to 90 degrees, which would force you to lean forward (at a minimum) while using it.

My vote would be the small toilet, placed behind the front passenger seat. You could build a box surround with a lid to disguise it. Make it look like the stool that goes in between the front seats.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

Have had a cassette type potty in my 78 Westy for over 15 yrs. wife made a cushend slipcover with skirt sides. We keep it behind the pass seat. When we swivel the seat we set the potty outside, then back inside at night. Most folks think it’s just a portable seat.
With today’s chemicals there is absolutely no order. Easily removable tank for dumping at RV parks or in the toilet at home. We also have a ‘no poop’ rule except in dire emergency’s which rarely do happen when camping.
Wife has a craft shop in our garage and she often uses it rather than walk the 200 ft to our house. She loves it!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

You can buy a second cassette for the cassette type and mtitgate a number of circumstances that way
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

I know this doesn't help the OP since you have a '77, but in an early Bay, the porta will fit perfectly inside the jump seat with plenty of extra storage room. We just remove the seat cushion, and it can be used in place. We face it sideways, so your feet are at the ice box cabinet and back is at the wall. This allows the lid to open all the way and there's no interference when the bed is pulled out. Hopefully that's helpful to anyone else thinking about that in the future.
1977VWCampmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Haha! Most of our friends and family think we're off for wanting to stay in freezing weather. I suppose we kinda are. The two of us tend to thrive in cold weather whereas we become almost completely sedentary in 60+ degrees.

danfromsyr wrote:
both causing a flow issue. and potentially a rupture issue

This is true. I guess I'd always pictured that I'd use a spray-foam insulation on the outside of the tank and hope that the notoriously bad insulating properties of the floor of the bus would do the rest, but i can't imagine that insulation would last for long outside now that I'm thinking about it.

danfromsyr wrote:

I was hoping to keep it off the main floor area since we have two dogs as well. That was the biggest reason behind my putting it under the couch. The problem is, only the smallest cassette (Thedford 135) will fit as far as I know, but that has a very small capacity. Might be unavoidable, though.

I really appreciate the feedback!
1977VWCampmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Waste Holding Tank Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
This seem like a lot of work to take a pee. Here’s another option, cheap and easy. I mean, it’s not like you’re gonna get up in the middle of the night and fold up the bed to go pee.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/reliance-lugg...lsrc=aw.ds

I had one of these for a short time and ended up tossing it. There was nowhere to store it nicely and I had to empty it as soon as it was used. Great for solo use during the rare times I was alone enough to keep it outside, but I just don't think this will work well in my current situation.

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: