Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

I started reading this thread and at first I was upset why anybody would want to get wound up over Oregon collector plates. Then I remembered it was the internet. And I was like "whatever..."

But then I actually went to the ODOT website and saw that some of these plates require absolutely no qualifications! You can simply pay an extra $40 and get a University of Oregon Ducks plate WITHOUT EVER HAVING ATTENDED THE UNIVERSITY.

You can pay $40 and get a plate that has the Portland Trailblazers logo on it, and YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO LIKE BASKETBALL!!

You could even pay a the one-time fee of $40 to get a Smokey Bear license plate, and all the special privileges appurtenant thereto, WITHOUT ACTUALLY BEING SMOKEY!!!1!!

This is madness.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
I feel very lucky living in Pennsylvania. Antiques are 25 years old, "Classics" are 15 years and older. Classic cars are subject to annual inspections, including emissions. Antiques are not. Both are subject to the typical "parade and event" restrictions, but also are allowed "occasional" transportation use, defined as no more than one day a week. In reality, nobody is going to bother you if it' more than one day a week. The other thing you can do in PA is for antique cars, you can use a period correct plate that you find on your own (I have one period correct for my 1969, that I will use when I have to renew registration next summer).

No annual registration fees in PA for antique plates and I believe classic plates are the same. I think it’s a little over a hundred dollars to switch to antique or classic, but it’s permanant. One time fee. My Bus has an ‘antique’ plate. I drive it maybe 5 months a year averaging probably once every two weeks. Are there times I’ve used it two days a row? Sure, but it’s very rare. I used it once to drive to work in the dark even though it’s restricted to daytime use, because my pickup was out of service. Less than 1500 miles in over five years so I certainly do not feel as if I am abusing it.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Abscate wrote:
If you can’t afford registration fees for your cars, sell them

If you have too many to drive , that’s your issue , not a fee issue

I have 11 in my fleet currently. Eventually the kids will pay the fees but right now o want them plowing their money into the SP500 instead

Californa is just ahead of the national average in state government spending per capita. You could downsize government if you stopped subsidizing 43 other welfare red states like Kentucky.

Any bet on what states are leading the welfare spending parade? Hint: has to do with cost of living. Most of these states are so far in the red, the rest of us will have to pick up the tab at some point. Financial malfeasance of the first order. The best meeasure of how this will end is UHaul rates to and from certain places. Once the smart people have left, who will pay the bills then?

See tax foundation analysis if you want facts, rather than uhaul rates as a measure of economic prowess.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

Maybe you can be the one to turn the lights out.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/debt-by-state

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Maybe you can be the one to turn the lights out.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/debt-by-state

That doesn't show how much moolah each state gets from the feds, easy to have low overall debt if a state depends on the feds to get by. It is always one of the red states that lead the pack in getting the most money per capita from the federal purse, that is part of the two senators per state curse. Montana won the prize for milking the feds in 2017 and historically has done very well, something getting $14 back for the Feds for every dollar they pay out in taxes.

https://taxfoundation.org/state-federal-aid-relian...5_gtdw8Chc
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

Post back your surprise when you divide state debt by state GDP and re-rank

Do businesses rate debt per employee or debt per revenue ??

CA is the sixth largest economy in the world and won't be closing in my Grandkids lifetime
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Post back your surprise when you divide state debt by state GDP and re-rank

Do businesses rate debt per employee or debt per revenue ??

CA is the sixth largest economy in the world and won't be closing in my Grandkids lifetime

wanna bet. There is a mass exodus out of the state of folks at retirement age or who can work elsewhere AND who pay taxes. There is a mass exodus into the state of people who come here for welfare. Just today the state announced they lost 1 BILLION dollars in EDD fraud in the last six months as a result of a prison scam where families and friends of people in prison filed for unemployment benefits - meanwhile people who actually worked can't get their EDD because the state is so overwhelmed with claims. The state is so far into debt that the prior two administrations tried to find a way to turn the state back into a territory in order to bankrupt on pensions and debts. At some point the state will run out of income to pay the bills and then let's see what happens. You should see how many people here live homeless. In other words, the economy here failed for them or the state ward and state health care system did. That is why California will never give up income on old beaters and VW buses. We pay almost double for gasoline in this state what the lower states pay because of State taxes on gasoline.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

PA gas taxes run neck and neck with California...its not the state taxes that are driving up the price. Maybe they have some other "fee" that's not considered a tax?
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

No annual registration fees in PA for antique plates and I believe classic plates are the same. I think it’s a little over a hundred dollars to switch to antique or classic, but it’s permanant. One time fee. My Bus has an ‘antique’ plate. I drive it maybe 5 months a year averaging probably once every two weeks. Are there times I’ve used it two days a row? Sure, but it’s very rare. I used it once to drive to work in the dark even though it’s restricted to daytime use, because my pickup was out of service. Less than 1500 miles in over five years so I certainly do not feel as if I am abusing it.[/quote]

Why is it restricted to daytime use? AFAIK thats only if you build something that doesn't meet the state lighting code...can't imagine a bus wouldn't be able to do that
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Antique Vehicle Registration, Oregon Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
No annual registration fees in PA for antique plates and I believe classic plates are the same. I think it’s a little over a hundred dollars to switch to antique or classic, but it’s permanant. One time fee. My Bus has an ‘antique’ plate. I drive it maybe 5 months a year averaging probably once every two weeks. Are there times I’ve used it two days a row? Sure, but it’s very rare. I used it once to drive to work in the dark even though it’s restricted to daytime use, because my pickup was out of service. Less than 1500 miles in over five years so I certainly do not feel as if I am abusing it.

Why is it restricted to daytime use? AFAIK thats only if you build something that doesn't meet the state lighting code...can't imagine a bus wouldn't be able to do that[/quote]

Here’s a screenshot from the PennDOT website. I must be mistaken, it says ‘antique vehicle operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset’ are exempt from lighting requirements. That must be what I was thinking of. The lack of inspection requirements and no annual registration fee was a selling point for me. I am an inspection mechanic so I know all the requirements (which are not all that strict) and know that my Bus is maintained well within the guidelines. JohnnyVW, whereabouts in PA are you?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: