Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T5 B dropped spindles
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

I have searched high and low and asked a bunch of body shops and no one is definitive about using VW dropped spindles on a 356b T5 car

can anyone help or point me in the right direction
I want to use dropped spindles to maintain ride and get a 2.5" drop.

I know all about adjusters.

If anyone can help please no "I think so" or there's a wild goose chase threads with more "I think so" replies.

thanks again
Paul.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

I believe that only the A spindle was/is interchangeable with VW spindles.

Those for the B and later are a beefier item and not interchangeable in the way you describe.

S.J.Szabo
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

I was given a 80's Funco with 356 spindles. I believe the Link pins are the same, but the bearing ID was bigger than a beetles. I was able to use VW drums, but had to swap in the bigger ID bearinga. Could you measure your inner and outer bearing IDs and ODs??

Crazy Roland
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

i was going to do this to my A but the spindles i got were junk, so i'm still at that point. anyway you'll need the vw tie rod ends, the taper is different they WILL thread into your tie rods. there are bearing to make the Prosche drums work.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livnlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

I have a 63 b t6 with lowered beetle spindles. They worked just fine. It's been quite a few years so i can't remember exactly but i think i used 1960ish front outer bus bearings to match the 356 drums. Also i pressed apart and used the original 356 king and link pins so i don't know if those vw parts work or not. As for the tie rod ends I think mine are baywindow bus but that probably depends on who made the spindles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

I’ll be using CB’s spindles, with VW rebuilt carriers. Have to change the tie rod ends to later bug.
Have yet to figure out the bearings. I thought the inner needed to be changed from the stock Porsche, no ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

I put bug spindles on my 356/ S-90 (60') back in the old days.
Easy swap, perfect fit w/ all the stock 356 parts - EXCEPT the inner bearing. You can take both bearings to any machine/ bearing shop type place and tell them which inner race / outer race diameter combo you need and they'll have them on a shelf.
I think there's a VW bearing that swaps directly..can't remember from what though. Maybe Bus or Thing?
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 B dropped spindles Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
I put bug spindles on my 356/ S-90 (60') back in the old days.
Easy swap, perfect fit w/ all the stock 356 parts - EXCEPT the inner bearing. You can take both bearings to any machine/ bearing shop type place and tell them which inner race / outer race diameter combo you need and they'll have them on a shelf.
I think there's a VW bearing that swaps directly..can't remember from what though. Maybe Bus or Thing?

Totally correct. I put B brakes on my bug with dropped spindles and had to change the inner bearings. Now I wish Ida kept the part numbers. Sad

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: