Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar camped in Key West. November.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Love solar in Key West.

Even on November 24 at 1pm I’m getting 170 W from two old 100 watt panels. One fixed on the pop top and one flexible panel hung on a step stool.

Victron 100/20 solar charger with two 80ah agm batteries.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

HaHa, we Floridians try to avoid that sun. If you’ve got time on the way home, why not stop by for a pee break? Can’t really leave the keys without driving through Palm Beach County. Either way spend lots of dough. We need it. Enjoy the rest of the vacation. Mark
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
HaHa, we Floridians try to avoid that sun. If you’ve got time on the way home, why not stop by for a pee break? Can’t really leave the keys without driving through Palm Beach County. Either way spend lots of dough. We need it. Enjoy the rest of the vacation. Mark

PM sent.

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Reporting to mods for cruelty. And jealousy!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Last I heard you were going to have some 26 - 30 hours of driving to do.. now THIS!?!?!

Man!

(cool)
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

I can beat that!

It's November 24 at 1PM and I'm getting 210 W from two old 120 watt panels. Both flexible, fixed to the roof. They are really beat up; I need to replace them. Kayaks are removed from the roof racks for solar exposure.

Redarc DC/DC charger with two 100ah LiFePO4 batteries.

We'll be here for five days/nights. Lots of ham radio contacts today on a kite flown antenna!

Mustang Island State Park, near Port Aransas, TX. Finally open after hurricane Harvey (we waited three years for this week).

I do love Boyd's Campground in Key West, though!

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Love solar in Key West.

Even on November 24

You guys haven't been blown off the beach and into the water yet?
It's just been a constant wind up here in West Palm Beach since the 17th!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Can't believe that you all just don't stay home. Part of the problem or the solution??
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

I hear ya. I feel both sides of it. Part of me feels I must stay home and be responsible. But taking care of my mental health is also a responsibility.

Camping on the beach here, and on Matagorda Island (accessible only by boat) consists of two forms of ultimate social distancing. We are traveling, yes, but also doing it responsibly.

We are not interacting with others, except for the French woman who came up to our van today and exclaimed, through our open slider door as we were eating breakfast, "you are living my dream!"

Her exclamation has fostered an incredible discussion of philosophy, in the pandemic context, and in the greater pursuit of life context, that has carried on in the light of the campfire tonight.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Kourt, I love Mustang Island, although my wife and I never camp on the beach in our RV but maybe now that I have my TDI conversion almost finished. I use to take summer geology trips with students and we were litterally blown off the island twice: once by a baby low pressure system that hit the island from the gulf and once when two huge lines of thunderstorms, one from the west, one from the north, converged right on top of the island. That one was scary. Shut the place down and we had to spend the night in a hotel. 17 people in 2 rooms!! Hayden
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

BTW for those kind of sensitive to travel in the times of Covid, camping is the ultimate form of social distancing. That is why RVs are so popular right now and selling like hotcakes and why it is almost impossible to get into state parks or national park campgrounds. We have been out twice since the pandemic began and both times we stayed away from everyone. Take your food with you and don't go into the places that you may have to stop to fill up AND WEAR A MASK IN PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hayden
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Dave, Mark and Kourt and others in the sun, we envy all of you. My sons grew up here in coastal BC and the older one cheerfully describes our winter monsoon conditions as "liquid sunshine". Good on him! I am sun-starved as is Mrs. Howesight.

It's good to hear about the good performance of those solar panels. Now if I could just buy some "cloud-and-drizzle panels", I would be all set.

We are hoping the border will re-open sometime soon and are dreaming about Joshua Tree and Death Valley road-trips as well as a road-trip visit to family in Carmel.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

We are as safe here as back home. And are mask wearers. Very Happy

Winds have been 10 day to 25 at night. Not bad at all. Should be a little calmer the rest of the week.

As you can see I do not mind driving.... about 6000 miles in the last six weeks.

The Western Syncro build
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Winds have been 10 day to 25 at night. Not bad at all. Should be a little calmer the rest of the week.

As you can see I do not mind driving.... about 6000 miles in the last six weeks.

Dave, I respectfully have to disagree that staying home is less risky than travel of any kind, regardless of masks, personal behavior, etc. There's a reason the UK (for example) is on total shut-down again- people aren't even supposed to go to their own second homes. True shelter-in-place like that works.

Masks are not space suits, every contact with another person, especially if for a prolonged period of time, increases transmission probability, mask or not.

That said, I totally share the desire to try and travel/camp responsibly. We are finally going to do our first trip in months soon (if still allowed, I won't complain if things shut back down) and are going to be as careful as possible- but I am wracked by guilt just thinking about it now.

2020 can go drown itself in a swimming pool filled with gasoline set on fire.

Please hear the respect in my statements- I know you're doing the best you can and wish you the best trip possible, have fun!
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Dave, I respectfully have to disagree that staying home is less risky than travel of any kind, regardless of masks, personal behavior, etc. There's a reason the UK (for example) is on total shut-down again- people aren't even supposed to go to their own second homes. True shelter-in-place like that works.

Masks are not space suits, every contact with another person, especially if for a prolonged period of time, increases transmission probability, mask or not.

That said, I totally share the desire to try and travel/camp responsibly. We are finally going to do our first trip in months soon (if still allowed, I won't complain if things shut back down) and are going to be as careful as possible- but I am wracked by guilt just thinking about it now.

2020 can go drown itself in a swimming pool filled with gasoline set on fire.

Please hear the respect in my statements- I know you're doing the best you can and wish you the best trip possible, have fun!

Dave didn't make a global statement about travel vs. home, he made one about his own situation, one you can't possibly know. For me, the realities of my constricted home life still involves the same (or more) encounters than I have on the road in my van. Let's skip this debate, it's beat to death everywhere but here already. If you'd like to inform yourself further, the CDC just updated their guidance on the topic yesterday: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-risk.html
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

Looking good Dave!

I love my 200w rooftop and 130w portable panel equally.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Love solar in Key West.

What type of site is that, "primitive tent waterfront view"?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Love solar in Key West.

What type of site is that, "primitive tent waterfront view"?

Exactly.

Boyds site 30T. One of the very few wide enough to park the westy cross ways.

The Western Syncro build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

It’s very easy to travel in an RV and never get in COVID proximity to anyone, with some planning and minor adjustments to routines
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Solar camped in Key West. November. Reply with quote

That campground doesn't look vacant and where do you get your fuel and food? We all want and need mental health breaks -- who doesn't to go to the beach or out on the road? IF we all did it... are you a part of the problem or the solution. If we all did our civic duty, if we all did what's best for our country and not ourselves, we wouldn't be so deep in this mess, with a million new people infected each week and 2500 dying per day. 250,000 empty chairs around thanksgiving tables and likely 300,000 at Christmas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: