Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone!

Has anyone replaced their 2A fuse who can offer some suggestions or tips?

My propex has stopped working and I'm pretty sure that through my own fault, I have a blown 2A fuse. Embarassed I was working on a Aux battery project and disconnected / reconnected the propex to the battery several times over the course of an hour or two. Each time a connection was made, the fan would cycle for about one second. Then it didn't.

VanCafe has some good propex documentation and FAQ's on their website, but I didn't find anything to tell me if this is simply a replacement plug-in or if I need to solder the leads into the board?

Many Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

Depending on how old the heater is it either plugs in (pull away from the board) or is soldered in. If soldered, there will be now space between the fuse the surface of the board. Check continuity to see if it's blown, it won't be visible.
Van Cafe has the fuses or https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-10Pcs-Mounted-Miniature-Cylinder/dp/B07JLZSL6M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

My fuse blew a few months back during a new LiFeP04 install and I just got around to installing the new fuse. My Propex, purchased circa 2012, is the type that is soldered to the board, as I found out when it wouldn't pull up easily. I was dreading this.

I managed to pull the fuse off and leave some decent leads to which I soldered the new fuse (from VC). To say the least... IT WAS A BITCH and a bit nerve-racking getting the fuse, soldering gun and solder in that tight space and not accidentally melting something on the board inadvertently. Since the space was so tight (mounted under the bench seat), I decided to melt some solder onto the new fuse's leads and I bent the leads at a right angle. Then, I taped the fuse to a small piece of 2x4 with electrical tape to hold it in place while I positioned the leads/solder over the 2 pins/nubs in the board. One by one, I touched each dab of solder on the new fuse leads with the soldering gun to join it to the pin/nub on the board. I then carefully removed the tape that held the new fuse to the 2x4 and carefully bent the fuse inward to make sure it cleared the cover of the Propex. It fired up like normal.

Maybe these pics will better explain....

Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

Is there a red light blinking on your control panel?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

I have a green (fan) and orange (flame). Before I replaced the fuse, there was nothing, no power at all to the unit.

Pchill2 wrote:
Is there a red light blinking on your control panel?

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

boy, those sure look like thru-hole pads. it was really surface mount? picked up a dead $600 Branson ultrasonic cleaner for $60 because one of those fuses was blown... i call them "eraser" fuses because they are the size of a pencil eraser.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex (HS2000) - 2A fuse Replacement? Reply with quote

Thru-hole or not, neither the fuse nor the two leads wanted to come out of the board, not even close, and I pulled hard. There was a little drop of solder on each lead on top of the board when I pulled the cap of the old fuse.

DanHoug wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

boy, those sure look like thru-hole pads. it was really surface mount? picked up a dead $600 Branson ultrasonic cleaner for $60 because one of those fuses was blown... i call them "eraser" fuses because they are the size of a pencil eraser.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: