Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying 96mm cylinders
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
914fsp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying 96mm cylinders Reply with quote

Now it's time to play, "Name Those Parts"!

My son and I are looking for advice how to identify the manufacturer of aftermarket cylinders. We can't seem to find an OEM stamp or part numbers.

A friend gave us these "thick wall" slip-in 96MM cylinders that he says will slip into the 1.7 case without machining but of course it would require machining the 1.7 heads or upgrade to 2.0 heads.

At first, we were going to hold on to these, but it appears we may need to rebuild the 1.7, so we're thinking about building it up to a 2056. Before we get too far, it would be helpful first to know exactly which jugs these are so we can match with appropriate pistons, cam, crank and heads. The walls look to be in really great condition. No cracks or broken fins. May need a final polish and cleaning.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966.5 VW Bug (sold)

Check out our Father Son Project at www.914fsp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying 96mm cylinders Reply with quote

914fsp wrote:

My son and I are looking for advice how to identify the manufacturer of aftermarket cylinders. We can't seem to find an OEM stamp or part numbers.

A friend gave us these "thick wall" slip-in 96MM cylinders that he says will slip into the 1.7 case without machining but of course it would require machining the 1.7 heads or upgrade to 2.0 heads.

At first, we were going to hold on to these, but it appears we may need to rebuild the 1.7, so we're thinking about building it up to a 2056. Before we get too far, it would be helpful first to know exactly which jugs these are so we can match with appropriate pistons, cam, crank and heads. The walls look to be in really great condition. No cracks or broken fins. May need a final polish and cleaning.

Look around the base of the cylinder where it joins the case very carefully for casting marks.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914fsp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying 96mm cylinders Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
914fsp wrote:

Look around the base of the cylinder where it joins the case very carefully for casting marks.

Ray

I looked extensively around the edges, base, fins, top and bottom with no indication of marks. I think these were ground off or aftermarket with the markets/part numbers on the matching piston set. I will try to verify if they are in spec for rounding and determine if I'll sell them or use them later. They appear to be in really good condition.

1966.5 VW Bug (sold)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914fsp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying 96mm cylinders Reply with quote

I'm going to "close" this thread. I was able to get some good intel from FB forums on 914s. Hope you enjoyed the pics here anyway.
1966.5 VW Bug (sold)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: