Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snubber''s w/Sump....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

Hello, so here is a nutty question that I have been dealing with for a while...

Anyway ever experiment with Bug/Super Snubber's for coping with a standard sump depth?

See, I wonder with out torsion bar tension how far can the rear swing are articulate? And for roads, if Bus Snubber's are needed?

I hear which I can not confirm, Bug Snubber's work for the track.. Not 100% certain of that???

Thanks for your time and hope you are having a good day if you don't drop a wheel off the asphalt if you run a sump... RB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

?????
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

add a titinaium plate to the bottom of your sump. they spark oh so pretty!!!
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

I’m using stock height black urethane snubbers, car didn’t have any 😳.I got them from A.C.net pretty sure black ones are softer.My car is lowered with adjustable spring plates and bus snubbers are too tall. Red Koni shocks made the biggest difference, stock oil shocks used to hit the snubbers on the bumpy roads. I hope this helps Question
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

A radically lowered car and an add on sump are just a wreck waiting for a place to happen in my view. Even if you trailer the car to and from site it will catch the trailer frame or the pavement loading and unloading or a curb exiting a parking lot.

I have such a sump and two cars to use it on but the Manx copy street buggy is too low, it already scrapes the engine cage going in and out of parking lots and over some manhole covers. The off road sand rail has a much higher stance but stumps and rocks would make short work of that sump.

On a stockish height Bug or Bus it will be ok.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

I run some pretty gnarly roads to be honest and even can drop a wheel off the side basically every were I drive.. But I do have some fun highways, that is for sure...

Thing is I have seen through the threads peoples sump plates and being battered, and wonder what from? And, how low they are? RB
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

I've whacked my sump pretty good before. It folded the edge of the sump right over the nuts that fasten it. Hard enough that I though it wise to raise the car a bit, and look for a slightly thinner sump. Now I run the Scat sump with a jaycee magplate.
As for snubbers, I run stock from Wolfsburg West with Swayaway torsion bars. It's a good combo with adjustable oil shocks. When I had stock torsion bars I used to hit the snubbers more often, and a lot harder. Better snubbers with stock bars might be a good idea
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

My lowered bug would plant the deep sump on the ground when launching on a dragstrip. Only felt it do it a couple of times before I pulled the stock torsion bars and installed a set of 29mm bars. Once those went in my problems went away.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Snubber''s w/Sump.... Reply with quote

Currently I am running Excell G's on the rear and looking when I can get my car into my garage again to put on Excell G's in the front... Being a McPherson Strut, it takes some time...

But now, I am really considering the Koni Red VW Shocks all the way around, maybe spring time I will have the funds to do that...

They would be a nice upgrade over the Excell G's... Slightly more stiffer I do think, but I do have to put a call in, and do that talking gig once again..

Yea, photo for fun of my ride, just doing the final tweaks and putting on Bus Snubbers on the rear should save me a lot of headache and relax the brain some... But I do dodge things on the road and take them out with the rear shock mounts if I can't get into the other lane. Yea, the mountainous back roads I run are fun, but some a beat.

Thanks for all the input, anymore is greatly appreciated and I am trying to dedicate this thread to the "Snubber" break down.. People have suggested Bus Snubbers for they are slightly taller, thus less squatting as said above.. RB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: