Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What other vehicles do you tinker with?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

HI Samba

I come and go with the Volkswagen stuff....I would get my first one from my sister in 1978 that was a 1971 Super...my son would get his first one in 2000 that was a 1974 Super...I would end up with it and then I would purchase 2 more west coast beetles that I have since sold...in the middle I tinkered with Willys Jeeps...AD style Chevy trucks....a bunch of Datsun trucks...also been into oval track stuff...had like 5 of them...did a rat rod too...I am currently working on a vintage Jalopy stock car that last raced in 1966...

So what else do you guys tinker with when you are not tinkering with old VW's???

MikeC
Miklo
ˇChale!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Mini bike preject has been getting tinkered here and there.

You can't give me anything bigger than a Vw or a mini bike unfortunately...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

TDI's
LS's
Honda small displacement bikes
nitro/glow plug model engines
ONE pita 5.7 HEMI, and the piece of crap isnt even mine
hoping to see a rotary truck or 347 ford here in the future. maybe even a miata.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Out daily drivers for our all female fleet are Volvo’s

We now have eight in the family
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Daily driver is a 96 civic coupe with 295,000 miles on it, due for headgasket soon as it loses water and leaks oil. Once we settle into the new house it's getting replaced with something of the same era or older, likely a VW waterpumper or another japanese car. This car is the definition of beater.

Helping my aunt work on her 93 Mazda RX7 FD lately, its on the road but needs more tuning than my expertise can handle with the limited time I have. Sequential twin turbo. It's sickeningly fast.

Formerly I used to work a bunch on late sixties/early seventies fords fairly often, and had a lovely 71 ford maverick for a while that I really wish I had kept. 200CI inline sixes are fantastic engines. Keeping an eye out for similar again with engine swap ideas Twisted Evil

I'm really digging older RWD japanese cars lately and starting to take more interest in them. It'd be really nice to pick up an 86 Toyota Corolla with a 4AG engine in it Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

wifes honda element,my 4 wheeler,dirtbike,356,& kappa roadster that is my DD..when I decide to leave the house witch dont seem to happen a lot now days for some reason. I did take a trip today... dam near broke my knee and arm Shocked but the flower pot survived without a scratch...but almost half the plant is gone.and dirt in my eyes...and...oh never mind.I should plan my trips better.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

The Benzes and the Bianchi road bikes.
Is Scotch a vehicle?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

My yard art is a 86 4runner. 5.3, 5 spd, marlin crawler, 5.29 gears and a detroit in the rear. Blew the front ifs and swaped in a toyota solid front axle. Front tube bumper with stinger, rock sliders, and tube rear bumper that wraps around under the rear quarters. Haven't touched it for over 2 years.
Weekender is a 01 f250 with a 7.3. Bilstin shocks/stabilizer, warn hubs, powerstop brakes and a red top steering box.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

5.3 ya say? Cool Smile turbo yet?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Go cart and little dirt bikes for the grandkids, a couple old tractors, two bigger dirt bikes, a riding mower and several water pumper VWs, a couple 944s too. Then there are 4 canoes and an old Peterborough fishing boat.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

I like the reel to reel tape 😀 in first pic.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

I just got an '86 Mercedes 560SL with 17,314 miles that was last driven in 2008 just before the original owner passed. It sat in the garage all this time, but the garage was remarkably dry and the car is in amazing condition. I'm currently replacing all the rear end fuel delivery equipment (two fuel pumps, filter, accumulator, hard and soft lines, and tank filter.) Hopefully, the fuel distributor is good and won't need rebuilding. Thankfully, the tank has no rust! I also have a '67 Lincoln Continental and a few other toys that keep me busy.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insanitize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

My daily is a MINI newer Clubman but I like Jeeps. I have a 1972 Commando that is still stock and a 2007 4dr Wrangler as my toy. The Wrangler is lifted, armored, and supercharged so I can play off road.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

I've been working on my Dad's 1957 Chevy pickup. He has no patience for details so I did all the wiring, new harness, rebuilt the carburetor, helped him install air conditioning, rebuilt dash heat/defrost controls, a few other odds and ends.

Back in the 1980s I rebuilt a 1965 Chevy stepside pickup for my daily driver. Getting parts for the '57 is easier today than getting parts for the '65 was back then. Unfortunately, most of those parts today are poor quality foreign sourced junk. Sound familiar?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Business Coupe. A bit different than my air cooled VWs.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Having VWs for 50 years, and working on them, has given me the confidence and skills to broaden my efforts to other vehicles.

I won't list what I used to have, just what I deal with now. I do 95% of the maintenance/repair myself, the remainder I outsource to a local independent shop to which quite a few of my co-workers frequented on my lead.

However, he doesn't do air-cooled VWs; in the past I asked him to help with a MacPherson strut on my 1971 Super which came apart, and he said that. But now I'm a returning longtime customer, and think if I provided guidance then he would try.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Been air cooled since 1969, wanted to do something different:

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

The larger vehicle in the background, I used to tinker with those😀
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

dang thats a big boy. sooo, what is it? a boeng? arent those called double deckers or is that only a london bus thing?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
dang thats a big boy. sooo, what is it? a boeng? arent those called double deckers or is that only a london bus thing?

That is a Boeing 747. It was cut up and scrapped shortly after this pic was taken. Might be a beer can now😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: