Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoutwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Hello all!
We are stranded in Hood river in our 86 Westy. The left rear control arm imploded on itself beyond repair. Please let me know if you have one available at your earliest convenience. Thanks
Ethan
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Hi Ethan
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Download the VanAlert app, it could help you find local help.

http://vanalert.com/

Good luck out there!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Dave at Gorge Automotive, 541-386-5030.

We lost a water pump nearly a decade ago, he jumped right on it, was cool, and reasonable, and totally dug V-Dubs.

Recommended, and he’s open at 10 am Saturday. Not sure he has parts, but you’re halfway there.

GOOD LUCK!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

New ones are available, try VanCafe or T3

Link https://vancafe.com/trailing-arm-driver-side/

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Just curious--What causes a rear control arm to implode?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Just curious--What causes a rear control arm to implode?

My money's on rust...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scoutwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Not sure exactly what happened but the hoop where the bushing is pressed had separated causing the spring to shift and break off the seat causing the suspension and wheel to collapse on itself. Tire was rubbing on the frame and spring real bad. Here’s my current limp set up. :/

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

My money's on rust...

Bingo.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Did you get a lead or find that part locally yet? Have you called any of the Portland VW parts stores yet? If so which ones?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Probably should do both sides. The rear will need alignment once repaired. Other than the spring perch which is available as a repair part, I'm pretty sure the arms are interchangable side to side if you deal with the spring perch. I mention this only because you are on the road and if you can get the opposite side near by, it could be adapted to get you moving.

My diagnosis is between the heavy duty shock, spring and those trick rear brakes, that point was seeing some load. Wink

Edit: you are in luck. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2664201
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

I have a set, but I am 250 Miles away, NE of Seattle.

I was just about to clean my spare set up for new bushings.

There is a left one for sale in the classifieds in Eugene

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2664201
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Note to self; pack a coupla ratchet straps for roadside repairs.

OP, AWESOME use of straps!!!
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Ethan,
Dang! Bob Gordon with PDX Van-Alert shared your plight with me this hour.
Your best resource is Miles @ No Name Garage in Eugene. He is legit and that (L) trailing arm is perfect. The shop is closed on weekends, but hopefully, it gives you time to tear down the broken arm assembly. Bushings can be obtained from Miles as well. I have a tub of bushing snot if you wish to use it. Feel free to contact me if you need a ride there and back. You pay for fuel : )
While in Hood River take time to get on your bike and check out the Mosier Twin Tunnels at Hatfield State Park for stress relief. There are places to see and enjoy. BTW-Jorge (Hood River Auto) in Parkdale does have some VW parts, but I do not recall any Vanagon hulks.
Jeffery
scoutwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Thank for all the help folks.
I did source a part in Portland via Halsey referral. Someone working there had one in his personal stash. 300$ ouch 🤕 but it’s the part I need and should get the van goin by tonight or tmw morning.

I’ll definitely look at the other side once I get home.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

scoutwesty wrote:
one in his personal stash. 300$ ouch 🤕 but it’s the part I need and should get the van goin by tonight or tmw morning.

guess what? that is what they go for. they have never been cheap and only harder to find as rust claimed many of them. They are 400+ new then add shipping. You were lucky to find one essentially same day for a almost 40 year old vehicle

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

$300, that wouldn’t even make a dent in what you have invested in rear shocks, suspension, and brakes. I’d have been happy at $600 when on the road. Glad you will be moving again soon.
scoutwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

Honestly just grateful a fellow enthusiast was willing to help in a pinch. Avery’s air cooled had one available too. Thank god for the northwest. Very grateful the rest of the system wasn’t damaged beyond repair.

Now to wrestle the bolts out of place.

The upper spring seat has also decided it’s tired as well.

I’m sure someone sells a replacement? Weld in im assuming?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

I don’t recall seeing a replacement. A local welder could fabricate something pretty easily using the rubber spring pad for dimensions out of some spare metal. If all it did was spread the load across the good metal that would likely be enough without welding it in. It would be nice to have the bump stop support welded to it. Should be fixable local to you.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: STRANDED IN HOOD RIVER OREGON Reply with quote

No personal experience with the repops but heritage parts is 330 for a trailing arm, but that would take a while plus expedited shipping.

When your trips done you might want to check what's going on under that bed liner on the lower body line. Give it a good wash underneath and look around the rest of the underbody.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: