Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance intake and exhaust?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

My fastback should be out of paint in mid January. While I'm waiting I'm thinking about engine options. Even more dangerous, I'm asking for ideas on thesamba.

God help me. Laughing

I currently have the 1776 I was running in my daily-driver squareback until 2016. It's fitted with an ISP OOT exhaust, stock heat-exchangers and I've adapted a stock FI intake from the old 68 squareback to use modern injectors. It's very smooth and a great cruiser but the stock intake and exhaust limit power to not much above stock. This engine is sorted and fresh and the default option for this car.

I also have a 2110 configured as a type-1 for my Karmann Ghia that is still just a long-block. It's all new but unfinished and not yet run. So now I'm thinking about pulling the 2110 out of the KG and using it in the fastback.

What I need is an intake and exhaust that would support 100-130 HP in the type-3.

The stock type-3 cooling system will be retained. No upright engine in a type-3 car for me.

The car will stay FI/megasquirt. I've put a lot of time into learning that system and very much like it. The intake must remain low-profile to fit under the engine cover.

For the exhaust I'm prepared to make my own type-3 heat exchangers if necessary. This car requires heat. What is available for a performance type-3 exhaust?

So ... ideas?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

Vintage Speed. Thats it. Anything else is crude and or pushing back to stock.

Having a stock muffler on a performance motor is not bad. Just not as crisp.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

If money was no object, CSP makes performance heat exchangers and a python muffler that will support some serious power. As for intake, I would look at buying some mandrel bends (Columbia River mandrel bending) and make my own runners and mate them to a newer style throttle body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

1.5 header and I build my own 2 inch turbo muffler set up. I think the muffler, flange and 90 pipe was 40 bucks all in, new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

I bought the VS stainless exhaust for my KG. It looks great but it seems quite heavy. Read a little about people having them crack at the welds. Might be worth trying to fab some additional support so all that weight isn't hanging from the heads.

The CSP Python looks nice in the ad ... heat exchangers too.

jason37 wrote:
I would look at buying some mandrel bends (Columbia River mandrel bending) and make my own runners and mate them to a newer style throttle body.

Thought of this. Maybe start with a stock FI flange to hold the injectors and replace the runners? What would you recommend for the ID? And I'm guessing there's a bit of science behind the plenum volume, right?

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
1.5 header and I build my own 2 inch turbo muffler set up. I think the muffler, flange and 90 pipe was 40 bucks all in, new.

Details? I might give that a try.

Max
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

What did you use for the header?

Max
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

does A1 do a type 3 sidewinder? that would be nice on a 2110cc
We have one on the wifes 2110cc on her 73 super

the Vintage speed sport muffler has been on my square for several years now, it's solid, but I don't think its heavy compared to the stock exhaust, maybe compared to an EMPI tin can exhaust, or the OTT but the quality difference is Big.

the 38mm J tubes from vintage speed are an easy fit inside the stock heat exchangers

vintage speed VS OTT

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

I have a CSP Python with a 1904 - it's expensive but, IMO, well worth it. The only thing I had to do was come up with a bracket to mount the oil filter/thermostat bracket. The exhaust pipe exits the right place on the rear apron and the pipe is the correct length so it doesn't heat up the rear bumper.

The VS exhaust didn't fit my car for some reason. I tried to fit two of them and neither one fit in the apron cutout and the exhaust pipe was just the right length to heat up my rear bumper (too short).

Last edited by ataraxia on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
the 38mm J tubes from vintage speed are an easy fit inside the stock heat exchangers

Is the steel-wool just wound around the tube? How good is the heat from those?

Max
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

Quote:

Stainless scrubbers from the dollar store, just stretch it out and slip it over. The heat is good, I just don’t have enough air speed, maybe I’ll try a bilge blower on one to see come spring

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

I think STF might be the ticket for runner diameter and plenum sizing. Or you could always go to some IDF throttle bodies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

No doubt. At least we got some exhaust options.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=152023

Max
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

CSP makes some quality products or rather sells them ...
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

A1 does make a nice header for a t3 ..havent fitted it as of yet however the finish is stainless steel and nice welds
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

Hi, Max; good to see you here again and still active with your VWs. Thinking out loud for heater boxes: CB Performance now sells a Type 1 performance 1 5/8" HB with full aluminum internal heat fins. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3682.htm You could do a reality check by placing an old Type 1 HB next to a Type 3 HB so that you could see the differences in length and design. Thought is, if the outer metal SHELL together with the heat flaps at the forward end could be removed from both HB by uncrimping the joints and transferred over, then you could use a Type 3 HB shell on the CB Type 1 hi-po HB. Might need to extend the rear outlet pipe somewhat, but you are good with the welder.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

Stainless scrubbers from the dollar store, just stretch it out and slip it over. The heat is good, I just don’t have enough air speed, maybe I’ll try a bilge blower on one to see come spring

I wonder if you removed some of them, the air flow would increase. Seems like it would be a fine balance between heat and flow.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

I did the bilge pump pop on my bus it's noisy very noisy it does move some air there's probably some now that are much quieter
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Performance intake and exhaust? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hi, Max; good to see you here again and still active with your VWs. Thinking out loud for heater boxes: CB Performance now sells a Type 1 performance 1 5/8" HB with full aluminum internal heat fins. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3682.htm You could do a reality check by placing an old Type 1 HB next to a Type 3 HB so that you could see the differences in length and design. Thought is, if the outer metal SHELL together with the heat flaps at the forward end could be removed from both HB by uncrimping the joints and transferred over, then you could use a Type 3 HB shell on the CB Type 1 hi-po HB. Might need to extend the rear outlet pipe somewhat, but you are good with the welder.

Having modified a set of T-1 HB's for a T-3, they are about 3 inches too short (tins). This means you need to extend the tubing about 5 inches to get it outside of the HB tin. Just a heads up. It does sound like a good plan, but I don't know if I'd want an exhaust pipe seam inside the HB in a daily driver car. Even still, you know the aluminum heat sink material will be short, due to the t-1 length.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: