Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
omarmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

Hello Guys! I'm excited because I finally got to buy my '97 Mexican a new Disc Brake Conversion Kit.

Ever since I got it (originally with the purpose of daily driving it) I was concerned with the braking features of the car. I wasn't trusting very much the drum brakes, especially since I drive it often up and down steep hills where I usually commute. I told my dad once that I thought even a bicycle had better brakes than my car lol

Not that they failed or anything, actually they are working pretty well 'till this day, but it would give me peace of mind to get a little upgrade.

After documenting myself with other Samba member's threads I decided to go with the cheap convertion kit sold in SoCal and it finally arrived yesterday, and I'm trully excited about having it installed on the beetle.

I received the AC Industries kit
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I forgot to take a picture of the adapters but they arrived and all the bolts too.

I've read that it's a relatively easy conversion to do myself, but since the braking system its the principal safety feature of these cars I'd rather take it to a shop to get it done.

It's the braking improvement after the conversion notorious at all? Or did I just spend my siblings christmass gift money to get a silly upgrade?

Any advice and comments are welcome.

Last edited by omarmillan on Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

I installed an AC industries kit on my '73 Thing. It makes a very noticeable difference, you'll be glad you did it.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

I converted mine seven or eight years ago. I’ll never go back to front drums. The difference is obvious.

By the way, what is a shop going to charge you to install the front disc conversion? It’s really very easy to do.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

What I'm wondering is why your Mexican Beetle didn't already have disc brakes?
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

I thought Mexican Beetles had disc brakes up front starting in 1992. My 1990 did not, but in all honesty, I never found the 4 wheel drum brakes to be in any way inadequate in daily driving, and I lived for over a year in Arizona with it on some pretty steep downgrades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I installed an AC industries kit on my '73 Thing. It makes a very noticeable difference, you'll be glad you did it.

did an AC industries kit on my 73 super, amazing difference.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
omarmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the comments, I haven't done the conversion yet. First I want to get some things done apart from the automotive life.

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I converted mine seven or eight years ago. I’ll never go back to front drums. The difference is obvious.

By the way, what is a shop going to charge you to install the front disc conversion? It’s really very easy to do.

Tim

That's nice to hear, I'm still excited and it doesn't help seeing the parts just sitting on the shelf like waiting to be installed, it's almost likecI feel they are talking to me Laughing

They're charging me around 60 bucks + 10dlls or so for the new bearings and washers.

BenJAMin wrote:

chicagovw wrote:
I thought Mexican Beetles had disc brakes up front starting in 1992. My 1990 did not, but in all honesty, I never found the 4 wheel drum brakes to be in any way inadequate in daily driving, and I lived for over a year in Arizona with it on some pretty steep downgrades.

As far as I know, or as far as I've read, I'm also in several aircooled vw groups on fb where some info is shared, in Mexico they came from factory with drum brakes untill the '98 model. The 1998 model was the first to come with disc brakes.

The sad part about mine is that its a '97 sold in 98, so now I have to deal with the conversion part.

Chicagovw, yeah, I think is just a fear I have, I don't trust really much my drum brakes. They haven't failed or anything, actually they've worked pretty fine since I got the car, but this upgrade is something I had in mind to do since I found out it had drum brakes.

It's pretty much stock, 1600 carburated engine and stock mexican transmision, planning on change it to the american one, the Freeway flyer.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

I'd like to share these with you. Don't mind the dirty sneakers lol

and a short clip my girlfriend got the same day of our late cruise on the Scenic Highway in Ensenada, Mx.

Link
[/youtube]
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

omarmillan wrote:

As far as I know, or as far as I've read, I'm also in several aircooled vw groups on fb where some info is shared, in Mexico they came from factory with drum brakes untill the '98 model. The 1998 model was the first to come with disc brakes.

No. Disc brakes were always available on the 1600i model, however from 1997 you could buy a stripped down "city" model that had front drums. This was discontinued a couple years later and all bugs from '99 or '00 (sorry can't remember exactly) had discs in the front only. In fact my 1997 has factory front discs.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
omarmillan wrote:

No. Disc brakes were always available on the 1600i model, however from 1997 you could buy a stripped down "city" model that had front drums. This was discontinued a couple years later and all bugs from '99 or '00 (sorry can't remember exactly) had discs in the front only. In fact my 1997 has factory front discs.

Garba is correct, note that (AFAIK) all ('97 & '98 ) Mexican Beetles imported to Europe had disc brakes (ie Clasico models). According to my resource book "Volkswagen Kafer by Nicholas Rosenow", only the '97s and '98s were offered as Clasico and City models.

Here's an extract from the '97 brochure showing the differences between a "Clasico" and "City" model:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

I think your upgrade to discs is a wise improvement. Another part that could be replaced are the 2 rubber brake hoses that connect the metal brake lines that are on the metal "stands" on the frame, to the brakes. Rubber brake hoses can swell on the inside over the years, narrowing down the center open passage. The hoses can look OK from the outside. Replacement rubber hoses are inexpensive and only take maybe 10 minutes per side to replace. If you do this work yourself, one trick that my dad taught me decades ago, which I don't know if anyone here does, is to put a drop or two of brake fluid onto the threads before you install the hose. Rubber hoses like this; "M/F" stands for male/female which describe the connection ends. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Brake-Hose-Front-380mm-M-F-67-77-T1-113-611-701D-p/113-611-701d.htm

You can also upgrade to stainless hoses which are more expensive. You should also be able to carefully remove the existing wheel bearings from your front drums and install them into the new discs, instead of buying new bearings for the discs. Disadvantage is that if you ever want to swap back to the original drums, you'll have to swap the bearings back again. It would save time to buy the new bearings for the discs now. And the shop already gave you a very reasonable price for installing the new bearings.

After you install the discs and bleed the brake system, I recommend you go to an empty parking lot and try the brakes- press on them increasingly hard until the front wheels skid. That will give you an indication of the braking ability if ever you need them on the road.
omarmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
GArBa wrote:

Garba is correct, note that (AFAIK) all ('97 & '98 ) Mexican Beetles imported to Europe had disc brakes (ie Clasico models). According to my resource book "Volkswagen Kafer by Nicholas Rosenow", only the '97s and '98s were offered as Clasico and City models.

Here's an extract from the '97 brochure showing the differences between a "Clasico" and "City" model:

Wow, I certainly didn't know that, but now that I see the brochure and all the differences it makes sense. Yes the bill the of the car says it's the City model so it's missing for sure some of the extras. I'll look into that to borrow some ideas for the restoration of my car. Thank you very much.

Rome; I'm thinking seriously about making the conversion myself since I'm getting a little too impatient, in the shop they're are all booked up untill after christmas. But I already have the appointment so I might just wait.

I saw in one video and in some threads that people often re-use bearings, I think it might be a good idea since I dont't think I'm going back to drums ever, if if it works well they discs are stayin hahaha. I replaced those two bearings in January this year so they must be in good shape.

I'm adding the brake line hoses to the list and doing some research about the stainless steel ones that you are mentioning, I'm guessing they should last longer. Is there any improvement on material of the hoses besides the duration of the material?

Is there any other improvement I could do or verify that they do while the bug is in the shop?

Again thank you all for the comments, I'm just educating myself, getting a little deeper in the hobby, and I really enjoy daily driving this thing.
nagerjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

I have a 1998 City Car that I converted to disk brakes about a month ago with the EMPI kit. It was a fairly easy job. I'm happy with the results.

omarmillan wrote:
Rome; I'm thinking seriously about making the conversion myself since I'm getting a little too impatient, in the shop they're are all booked up untill after christmas. But I already have the appointment so I might just wait.
Jubilee Kafer 1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

I can confirm, that early Mexican made, export beetles,
did not come with disc brakes.

This is our 1985 50th Anniversary Jubilee Special Edition Beetle

BenJAMin wrote:

ArnoudH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

Hi!

I had an 1600i built for the German market and it did come with discbrakes.
The setup used an hub on which the disc was bolted to.
It makes for an 10mm narrower trackwidth-comes in handy when running lowered spindles Exclamation

Cheers,Arnoud
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

Jubilee Kafer 1985 wrote:

This is our 1985 50th Anniversary Jubilee Special Edition Beetle

the jubilee edition was a 1200L model (euro-export model not sold on the mexican market). the 1600is on the other hand always had discs.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
97Mexi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

Hey Omar,

I was looking for a conversion kit for my car when I came across this post from 2 years ago. Any updates? I hope you have installed the disk brakes by now.

I have a '96 Mexican that came with drums. I am looking for the kit to do the conversion to disks as I feel they are safer and work better. I had an experience quite a few years ago driving a '73 Super Beetle with drums. It was raining ( not sure if that was the reason or not ) and when I applied the brakes so I could slow and make a turn I kept going 50 meters straight through the highway intersection. Luckily the light was green for me and there was no accident, except for in my pants! Pumping the brakes, letting up and applying again, nothing worked. I was totally helpless.

Now, with a wife and kids, I want to play it safe so I am looking for this conversion kit.

I do have a question: I have heard that the Mexican Beetles are significantly different to the older '70s US spec Beetles and you need to buy a disk brake kit specifically for a Mexican Beetle. Is there any truth to this?

Hope all is well.

97Mexi
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

97Mexi wrote:
I have heard that the Mexican Beetles are significantly different to the older '70s US spec Beetles and you need to buy a disk brake kit specifically for a Mexican Beetle. Is there any truth to this?

Not true. A kit to fit 69 and later German Beetles will fit perfectly.

Beware, many of the cheaper kits include a bolt-on bracket for the caliper. The better kits include specific disc brake spindles where the caliper bolts directly to the spindle.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

the misunderstanding likely originates from the fact that the factory disc brake setup for a 1600i is indeed different from older German bugs, in that the disc is a standalone part that mounts on the hub (in a way, a more "modern" setup). So if e.g. your 1600i has worn factory discs you will need to source the specific Mexican replacement parts. But even in that case, by swapping the spindles you can always convert to the older system with the disc integral to the hub.

Since your car has drums, the conversion process as stated by bruce is no different from German late models.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
97Mexi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

Omar, Thanks for the thread. I hope you have successfully done your conversion now.

Bruce and GArBa, thank you for your input. This clears up a worry I had about compatibility. Time to find the right kit and get to work!
garry74T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake upgrade for my '97 Mexican Beetle Reply with quote

This shouldn't be a problem in California, but for those in the Rust Belt who have made the conversion to disk brakes, how long do the rotors last before corrosion becomes a problem? On my 2008 Corolla all-season car I have to replace the rotors every four years or so due to corrosion. (This is in Ottawa, where road salt is used by the megaton.) Replacing rotors is an easy job on the Corolla, since the rotors separate from the hub and bearings. On the Beetle replacing the rotor would require pressing out the bearings and then pressing them into the new rotor. That's not something I would want to do every couple of years. For this reason I've held off converting from drum to disc brakes on my '74 Beetle. Of course the Beetle is never driven when the roads are salted, but even in summer there is a lot of rain and humidity here. Can anyone report on how long Beetle rotors last in the US northeast or central Canada?

Thanks,

Garry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: