Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

930 axle plunge
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

I have a suspension design. 12" travel, 930cvs. I have about .5" difference between cv centers from full droop to full jounce. Do you think I'll have any binding issues with the axles and the cups of the flanges? I'm at about 17 degrees upwards and downwards from horizontal. Thanks!
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

I assembled without torsion bars and cycled. Over 12"travel with type 2 cv's. Kind of hard to answer your question with the little info given. Axle length, spline lenght, shortest and longest measurements between cv's.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Cv center to center is 18" max and 17.5" minimum. Over the 12" of suspension travel.
I just want to know if .5" will still allow the axle to move freely and either not mushroom or pull out of the cv.
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Yes a half inch is more then enough. What I found when I was looking .25 is minimum. Biggest thing to check is where it has the smallest amount of movement which is usualy when inner and outer flanges are in line with one another. ¼" or more you should be good..
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

So you're saying I could have that much (.5") beyond the cvs and still be good?
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
So you're saying I could have that much (.5") beyond the cvs and still be good?

you could have more, what i am saying is with the axle level ( both flanges inline with one another. so the axle itself is 0deg and you pull the axle so it bottoms out on one flange and then the other if you have at least .25'' clearance you are good. one thing i do is only put a retainer clip on the transmission side cv that way at full droop you have as much axle plung down as you can with out it falling out.

basically find the time in the suspension cycle where the distance between the flanges are the shortest, usualay when in line with one another measure the distance to the bottom of the cups of the flanges and subtract .25 thats the longest your axle can be. if you already have an axle it makes it a lot easier.

just assemble the axle install and go threw the cycle and pull in and out on the axle and see how much movement it has till it hits.

i bet you i have about an inch of spline on the back side of my cv's but never measured it. i think i went with a 20.25 axle and it is so long i cant remove the axle without messing with my limit straps but not so long that it will ever mushroom.

i hope that helps, but i cant dont have an actual distance that the axle should be past the cv's.

JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Much appreciated!
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Looks like the 20.25" axles may work the best.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
Looks like the 20.25" axles may work the best.

that is the typical length for 3.3 arms.

another trick if you do not have an axle but you do have the cv's is just get something that fits inside the cv like the axle would. i used a piece of pvc to use as a mock axle to get the proper size. it would suck to order axles and have them be to long. not that you asked but a couple little things i learned when doing mine. make sure you clock the cv's correct, grease will give you a few more degrees before the joints start to click. and race prep the cv if you are looking for max angles 24deg

that ended up being 26 deg. so i limited it at 24
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Thanks. Mine is an a arm setup. I thought of the pvc thing. Make 2 pieces with a tube to slide inside and 2 quick setscrews. Move the suspension and mark the tubes, accounting for plunge and slack. I'm only going 17* up and down, so I have some wiggle room in there.
I have some very nice race prepped cvs too. Cool
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of what your working on?
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

I'll send you a pic if I can.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Its a quick design of the front of an awd subaru baja. This is the sutocad of it.
[/img]
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Thats a pretty cool design. Thats a program I wish I could get some schooling on. When I was designing my front end I bought a program called suspension analyzer, it let's you put in all that info and cycle the suspension, move things around and has a feature that will (as the name of the program implies) analyze your design and adjust user selected points to optimize for bump steer, toe, caster, or camber.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Thanks. Taught autocad for about 15 years. That's just a preliminary assembly. I'll detail it later once I get a few more parts to measure.
Jeff
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 axle plunge Reply with quote

Thats cool. Good luck with the build..be interesting to see when your done
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: