Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 heads with breather vent holes
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelongboardguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: 1973 heads with breather vent holes Reply with quote

Greetings,

My car:
1973 Squareback manual trans
stock 1600 engine
Fuel injection has been removed by PO.
Dual Empi ict 34 Carbs
Bosch 009 dist.

Next week I will be installing a 1600 piston and cylinder kit, rebuilt heads, and new oil seals.

I have already removed the heads and dropped them off for a valve job. Both of the heads have the rocker arm area breather port on them.

My question is about what to do about these breather holes.
I have read the holes could be plugged with a rubber plug. But could I or should I, use them to my benefit, such as by connecting them to a breather box? Or should I cap them off and be done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

thelongboardgy

I have put a hex on the previous owner of this car.
May he never be allowed to own or touch another motor vehicle as long as he lives.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 heads with breather vent holes Reply with quote

If you decide to "cap" them off, you'll need the earlier style breather box that mounts on the engine breather stand. Failure to do this will cause oil to be pushed out around the big cooling fan where it enters the engine case. Those vents are part of the PVC system, and work with the stock breather and air cleaner. You could plumb them into a stand alone breather box though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
thelongboardguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 heads with breather vent holes Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

I will cap the vent ports.
I would like to keep the engine compartment looking clean and not install an additional remote breather box and new hoses to the heads if it is not needed.

My research indicates a 1968 - 1971 type 3 single cap breather box is what I should install.

Is this correct?

I have put a hex on the previous owner of this car.
May he never be allowed to own or touch another motor vehicle as long as he lives.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 heads with breather vent holes Reply with quote

thelongboardguy wrote:
Thanks for that info.

I will cap the vent ports.
I would like to keep the engine compartment looking clean and not install an additional remote breather box and new hoses to the heads if it is not needed.

My research indicates a 1968 - 1971 type 3 single cap breather box is what I should install.

Is this correct?

Yes, it'll be the single cap version.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: