Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

Ha! Looks like I can just move up North instead of looking for a high top Smile

Your oil cooler seals were squeezed out because they are the wrong seals for that cooler. There are two case oil gallery sizes, and two oil cooler sizes, 8mm and 10mm. There are 8mm cylinder-style seals, 10mm stepped seals, (which you have,) and tapered seals that allow mixing and matching of components. To further gum up the werks, some seals use copper washers to set the seal crush, and others don't.

By the looks of the visible oil gallery plugs, you have a 10mm case. That is an "upright" oil cooler, and ALMOST all of them are 8mm. (1970 was a weird year for cooler/gallery sizes across the VW lineup.) You should have the (usually green) tapered seals and copper washers to allow proper oil flow without leaks.

See you on the road!
Robbie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
so German bus with a Brazilian motor with the rare metal Surround for a T1 into a T4 that came on on very few buses.

That tin came on 90% of the non North American vehicles. I had a 1975 Brazilian panel that had that tin. It was rare for a Bus to have a Type IV motor in Europe, most were upright 1600's. In the 80's you could buy new kits of it from several vendors that were in Hot VW's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Ha! Looks like I can just move up North instead of looking for a high top Smile

Your oil cooler seals were squeezed out because they are the wrong seals for that cooler. There are two case oil gallery sizes, and two oil cooler sizes, 8mm and 10mm. There are 8mm cylinder-style seals, 10mm stepped seals, (which you have,) and tapered seals that allow mixing and matching of components. To further gum up the werks, some seals use copper washers to set the seal crush, and others don't.

By the looks of the visible oil gallery plugs, you have a 10mm case. That is an "upright" oil cooler, and ALMOST all of them are 8mm. (1970 was a weird year for cooler/gallery sizes across the VW lineup.) You should have the (usually green) tapered seals and copper washers to allow proper oil flow without leaks.

See you on the road!
Robbie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538617

Great information here! I will certainly measure before ordering the replacements. And thanks everyone for the input.
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

Time for a little update on the Guatemala bus. I recently got to meet the couple who drove this bus from Guatemala to Pittsburgh in 2013. They told me epic stories of many breakdowns and adventures that could only have been possible in a Vw bus.Took them 3 months to make it. They went down there to get immersed in the language. They bought this bus down there. He only learned swear words and bus parts. She kept a daily journal I’m hopeful for some of the entries related to the epic adventures.

Anyway I did all my paperwork for the Vermont registration process, very easy and I just saw that they had cashed my check so next I should be able to go for Pennsylvania Registration and title.

I decided to get after the moss and tree dirt on the old girl and gave it a first scrubbing. I also pulled the motor out. End play is within spec. I’m gonna do the basic freshening up. Definitely need a new gland nut. Definitely heater boxes and a decent muffler. Got the custom mustache bar gonna clean it up see if the bushing is good enough to keep using it. Just gotta get the firewall side of the conversion tin and a new seal and bunches more stuff Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gonna need new window seals all around. Got pretty rusty wing windows. Gonna need some window sill repairs.

Gonna start with the running stopping and steering things while using it around the property here at home. As it progresses to road use Id like to do a mild camper build with an inside table, rear facing bench and westy bed. We have camped all 5 in one tin top bus but it’s just not the best sleep experience to say the least. And an inside table will be great for the kids.
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

Ah, the chisel removed gland nut. Nice.

Those preheats are the classic clueless engineering. One side needs to be at low pressure to get flow andheat to the manifold.
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Ah, the chisel removed gland nut. Nice.

Those preheats are the classic clueless engineering. One side needs to be at low pressure to get flow andheat to the manifold.

Yes the chisel wrench! Looks like the chiseled it tight too afterwards. Im pretty sure they were using blockers in the preheat Rolling Eyes probably didn’t help the performance of the 34 pict and 009 combo much either. I now see the grease streaming from the crank dowel holes maybe? Wonder why it would be getting in there and flinging out? Maybe the seal inside the flywheel?
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a 73 Non-walkthrough Reply with quote

We were successful in getting our Vermont registration.

I just have to finish the deal on the pa end now. I’ve been collecting parts for this old bus. I decided to go to a doghouse cooler on this motor seeing as the front tin that’s available are all cut out for the dump off the cooler. I picked up a shroud for cheap at a swap and I’ll be fixing some things on that along with the rest of the tins and refreshing the paint. I also got a Vw branded bus muffler for a few bucks as well. Got new damper pipe bracket and tip coming.

I aquired an older set of Weber 40s intakes and hex linkage. They were pretty funky but I gave them a good cleaning bought decent kits for them and I might try and give them a go on this engine. If they don’t work out I’ll find a German 34 pict

I also got the replacement fuel tank. Caution! Don’t buy the empi tank outlet the threads inside the nut are not correctly formed and they will destroy the fuel tank. I sourced the nut from Vw nos and it threaded right on.

I also got the front tin in the mail last week. It’s made by Jp group. The quality seems good. Fits up to the old rear tin pretty nicely!

I got the new gland nut flywheel seal and bunch of gaskets to start putting this motor back together. Got doghouse cooler. Still gotta get a Hoover bit. Need to find some heater boxes. Few other little pieces.

I would already have it on the stand but I’ve got a terrible back problem that has rendered me useless! That type4 case in the corner is a victim of type 4 case syndrome by a useless p/o.

Hopefully soon I’ll be over this back issue and I can get this bus moving it self around before the sno flys.

And I got a seat swivel coming to install in the Tic-Tak!!
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: