Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shift1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently picked up a great Westy, my first after years of tintops. I had been looking for a weekender when this one popped up at I price I couldnt pass up.
A short while before hand I had picked up a weekender interior that I was going to use in my tintop prior to it getting hit and run and now relegated as a parts van.

So, my idea is to pull the kitchen from the Westy, install the rear facing seat, install a fridge in the water cabinet (not sure what title that cabinet may have aside from being the cabinet with the water tank) facing out toward the jump seat, and delete the outboard ports on the driver side mid panel.

My question is, has anyone converted a full Westy to weekender and what are the best methods to delete the outer ports? I am assuming finding a good body shop to weld and paint over them is the most logical however would it be better to replace that panel entirely? I do have my old tintop for spare sheet metal.

Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

My .02 cents...... you will be going backwards on the value scale.

Full Westy's are in general at the top of that scale.

I'd fix the full camper, sell it and find your weekender you desire.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shift1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks djkeev,

Yeah, that certainly is a thought lingering in my mind.

I think the counter, for me anyway, is the price I paid for the Westy, less than most weekenders seem to go for, the overall condition (little to no rust, clean body, low miles), and the thought that I really hope to never find myself in a position to want or need to sell it. Vanagons aren't getting cheaper and the ones that are out there aren't getting any better. Spent around three years looking before finding this one.

I guess the other possible option might be to fabricate some sort of nice plate for the ports to blank them while still keeping the option of going back. Though that wouldn't be the cleanest and best looking option, it wouldn't dead end the conversion.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

No need to replace the panel. Something permanent would require some welding, body work, and painting.

Why not just use the factory covers? Gut them if you need the interior clearance and glue them shut.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Curious, what year full camper?

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shift1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

djkeev: It's a 91

MarkWard: Thanks, was a bit worried that just welding blanks, grinding, filler, and paint might leave it a but uneven looking. But i guess that is down to the skill level of the person doing the work.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea, when you're done leave the old parts on the curb and I'll come and pick them up, No charge.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

I'm in Dave's camp. I see no reason to devalue a good full westy to turn it into something that can be purchased just as you want it. There's no shame in maybe spending a little time and elbow grease to fix this westy up and then reselling it. You'll have that much more seed money when the right Weekender comes along. If you gut this Westy you'll have to store all those bits and pieces for who knows how long and hope that nothing is lost...

Hans
Shift1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. Guess Ive got some thinking to do.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

I’ve owned both. I like the seating and storage of a weekender but there’s something very nice about rolling out of bed and warming up a pot of coffee.

I agree that modifying a stock Westy really hurts the value, but if you plan to keep it, do what you want. Keep all the original parts to include when you sell. Have you considered just adding a jump seat on the passenger side?

A lot of people say just cook outside, but when it’s raining you will love the Westy stove.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

As a tin top owner, I get what your saying, not camping why have all the stuff/weight. Tin tops are more fun to drive as a DD and more versatile. But why go so far as to eliminate the option? I'd leave the ports, switch interiors and keep all for when you change your mind. It will happen. What seems right now most likely won't, down the road a bit.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Granted, the foreward port is worthless. I can’t imagine anyone in the world has ever used it since it’s introduction in 1979. If you are in a campground with running water, just fill the tank.
Shift1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Having toured pretty extensively in my tintops with a few couple month long cross country trips, I found a great little dual gas stove for all my cooking and coffee time. Water never was an issue though I haven't spent a lot of time in places like the Mojave. I have heard the kitchen stove does warm up the van in the morning but I have a hard time imagining cooking something like bacon or something equally greasy inside.

Maybe my thinking is a bit limited given how long I have spent in a tintop with that extra space. Part of me really wants to reclaim it.

On the ports, like Yellow Rabbit said, the city water hook up doesn't seem all that useful, have read many people prefer filling the tank from inside rather than with the fill port, the electric port I think I would move down to next to the propane tank for a cleaner, lower to the ground location, and if you upgrade to a more efficient fridge the flue vent becomes kinda useless. Maybe I need to do a straw poll on port use. Very Happy

On the other hand, kaalualu has a good point, cant easily undo the work once welded over. Loss of money and possible regret.

I should add that this was a Canadian import, the hookups are in a slightly different arrangement with the water in the normal US spot and the electric down along the lower panel.

So, maybe, barring resale value which I am not entirely concerned with, deleting the ports and pulling the kitchen and water tank (fridge would go were water tank is) but keeping them if I decide to reinstall. It really doesn't seem like I would loose much by removing the ports. At least, to me, it doesn't seem like anything that would completely limit me returning to the full camper set up. Am I understating the hookups or missing something?

Question about the water tank. How do you guys keep it clean/mold free?

Last edited by Shift1 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

IMO the resale value of a full westy is higher -> you will "devaluate" your van.
Beside the money aspect, more you use the van for travel, more you will need the full camper interior. For a long run it is better to keep the westy intact and search more for a weekender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Just make it reversible and then then resale Value impact is zero, except for the labor to return the full camper gear to its position.

Unless you are full time #Buslife person, you can pull a 4 up travel trailer with a weekender for your 2 camp trips per year and weekend the rest of your year, and haul 6 teen girls the rest of the week like me in my past life
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Again..... just my .02 cents.
But.....

A 1991 Full Westy is the holy grail of Westy's.
Go look at the asking prices for nice 91 campers.

I'll get you started.......
$45,000
$29,000
$26,000
$24,000

Cash in on the full camper, buy a NICE tintop weekender and go have some fun with the leftover cash!

I agree, that it is your Van, yours to do with as you desire, but I would have a long long long hard think before I stripped a desirable 91 camper to shed weight!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Cash in on the full camper, buy a NICE tintop weekender and go have some fun with the leftover cash!
Dave

He doesn’t want a tin-top.
Shift1 wrote:
I recently picked up a great Westy, my first after years of tintops. I had been looking for a weekender when this one popped up at I price I couldnt pass up.

I’ll run counter to most of the replies here. I’d go for the Weekender interior. I’ve had both and prefer the Weekender interior even when I am by myself. I do understand that many would prefer the full interior.

I keep the ports, just seal on the inside or make block-off plates of plastic and replace them (w/gasket).

If you have room, keep the Westy interior and you don’t have to ever concern yourself with “value”.

Having said all the above, I’d live with the full Westy interior for 1/2 a camp season and then decide. You could even try both out and then decide. Sure it’s work, but getting that insulation out from behind the stove side wall is worthwhile anyways.

Remember, it’s your van. If you got a good one, already have the Weekender interior, I can’t see selling it and hoping you find a Weekender in as good as shape and near you, so you aren’t spending thousands flying to check out vans and then possibly having one shipped.

Anyways, wish you well no matter what path you take.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

In my opinion, it’d be easier/wiser to convert your tintop into a “weekender” via either a hole-only pop top conversion or a NAHT high top install. I did the former and it’s been awesome. If you did get a good deal on the Westy you could flip it to pay for the conversion. I definitely would not modify the full Westy, you’d be altering a true classic and taking away from its perceived value .
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

He doesn’t want a tin-top.
Shift1 wrote:

Anyways, wish you well no matter what path you take.

Missed, that!

Yes! Trial the full unit before changing things.

Thanks 🤷‍♂️

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Convert Full Westy to Partial Weekender Reply with quote

Good advice to trial the camper interior for a few trips. Coming from our 68 camper, the kitchen is the best feature if you ask my wife. Traveling long days, you can’t really beat it, rain or shine.

I repurposed the city water hook up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: