Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

911/912 ownership info.
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJ57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

I am a long time VW owner who has always loved Porsche's. I currently drive a '57 beetle with a 2276 engine. What is the power and driving experience like in a early 912 or 911 compared to the Bug? Deciding if I should take the plunge before air cooled Porsche's are completely out of my price range.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

Around 1973, I had a 2 year old Ghia and acquired a rusted out 1966 912. From a chassis standpoint, there is no comparison, the 912 feels imminently comfortable at 75+, whereas the Ghia you could feel the limitations of the chassis.
The one thing I did learn was that there is no cheap way to own a Porsche...
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

You might go on to the 912BBS and see if someone in your area would take you for a spin.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

The Porsche was hand built and the quality shows as a true sports car. The Ghia/VW Beetle were just production cars and economy cars at that. But you better know how to work on them yourself as there are not very many shops that know them. The 912 would be your best bet as for doing your own work as it is more like the VW you are used to.
airjose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

I grew up with VW dreaming of Porsches, had a 1975 Carrera in Germany while in the military and loved it! Parts were and are always expensive but look around and they can be found at "reasonable" prices. I am older (71). Now I have a 1969 912 with a 1914 VW engine on it. Put your engine in the 912, you will love it. It feels faster and handles a lot better than my last Ghia...
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

I built a 68' 912 20 years ago....THIS combo held it's own very very well with a crowd of 80's 911' SC's.
Hot cammed 2.0L 914 engine, Raby DTM and 914 3/4/5 gearing in the trans. The thing would cruise ALL DAY @ 105 mph and pull really decent up to about 140!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mnmunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

As a kid back in the 80s, I got into Cal Look bugs big time.

Then I realized the error of my ways (sort of), I started building hopped up resto mod bugs. This then led me to other classics, though I always dreamed about owning a 356.

Never really being rich enough, other responsibilities came along like houses… I never quite made it to a 356, as while I could have just about managed a 356C, I always wanted an A or pre-A.

I was custodian of an early Intermeccanica speedster, though the front end was so light it skuttled everywhere and never felt as much fun as a bug. Then later, I owned an APS 356 coupe with everything thrown at it (AC, big 2010??? engine etc) and again was too light in the front, it looked as cool as a penguins feet but not as much fun to drive as a well sorted bug. .

As the 356s became stratospheric $$$, I decided I would work my way up to a 911.

I had 2 ‘66 912s, which were brilliant fun. Being 66 they were both SWB but no issue with the 911 pendulum. But a 912 still wasn’t a 911.

I bought a 75 911 project that never saw the road, so I swapped that out for an 86 Carrera. It was a great car, pretty much trouble free, but I just couldn’t gel with it. It just felt too modern, so I’ve just swapped it for a Ossi blue 68 912.

In my mind, it’s about the perfect blend of ultimate VW bug, while still being a raw classic car. It’s a bit like the best beetle you can ever make, by buying all the best suspension parts, tuning them for fun ride, exciting engine parts and then a little bit more.

Other experiences may vary!

Wow, I’ve been lurking here since 2012 and this is my first post!
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 911/912 ownership info. Reply with quote

One thing to consider and I'm a lifelong aircooled VW enthusiast that owns and have owned multiple high performance aircooled VWs....

We invest significant $ to improve the engines, disc brakes, in some cases transmissions and suspensions and you have to ask yourself after all that how does that compare to say a 912 that already has 90hp, 4 wheel disc brakes, better suspension, and handling......

I own a 67 cal look bug with a hot street 2276, had a 67 ghia with a 1967cc mild street engine and both are a lot of fun to drive BUT my 76 912E with some very mild performance upgrades (96mm big bore slip ins, mild cam, and dual 40 IDFs) is a much better balanced/driveable car and a hoot to drive. My 87 911 Carrera Targa with a Steve Wong chip and cat bypass is no doubt faster than the 912E but not by a ton and the 911 weighs 600 lbs more and has way too much weight in the rear.

The message is the Porsche (912s specifically) are a much better balanced version of hopped up type 1 cars.
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: