Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative (DIY) Aluminum coolant Expansion tank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sorry i haven't chimed back in.

my tank is similar to the one Vanis posted.

earlier in the thread i mentioned i found a machinist to make the goofy size bungs for the OE sender.

they weren't cheap but i got a bit of a volume discount so i got 3

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fits the OE sender just fine

now that i have them, i have to wonder if it's worth it to use the OE sender.

I see the vanagon guys kinda bellyache about these going bad (leaking) but honestly, it's the same p/n as the early watercooled rabbits etc and pretty much fits everything of the era.

having said that, i have never had one go bad in any of my rabbits/jettas etc but i have to wonder, is DJKEEV on to something with the other style sender?

never gave that one much thought. I have some equipment with that style, so no big deal and they seem to work just fine.

i guess the million dollar question is: is the OE sender just a pile of shit and i have been lucky? i really don't want to weld in the bung if it just going to cause heartache but for sure want a warning light

Nice Bungs!

Did your machine shop happen to tell you what the thread size is that he cut for the OEM sender?
This would be good information to have for others wanting to follow your method.
BTW, my OEM sender leaked out of the electric terminals on top. The plastic encasing the probes had cracked.

My sender is as yet unproven.
I suspect it works but I don't know.

I probably won't know for a month or so. Plus my bung is lost in the mail somewhere between Canada and the States...........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

BTW, my OEM sender leaked out of the electric terminals on top. The plastic encasing the probes had cracked.

My sender is as yet unproven.
I suspect it works but I don't know.

I probably won't know for a month or so. Plus my bung is lost in the mail somewhere between Canada and the States...........

Dave

I understand how they fail, but is it a high failure rate? i have yet to call the dealer but seems like there are some cheapo ones out there for under 10 bux...that is the part that worries me.

URO, Doorman, Meyle and so on scare me. i simply won't use any of that garbage in an important application

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

Just sent my expansion tank to a marine /welder fab guy for a custom job
waiting on estimate, running on my last used one D-99 Shocked

installed it and all seems fine for now, but it's a timebomb , and will start pissing eventually Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

Plastic has two main failure points.

The tank expanding and cracking
And
The plastic pressure cap threads mis-shaping in the heat and letting go.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

Anybody want to shoot a hole in the idea of why buying the VanCafe/RMW tank then drilling a hole in the side for a sight glass wouldn't work? Obviously the first concern is, will the nut fit inside the coolant cap opening. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LD2R25M/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1
+
https://www.amazon.com/Plated-Finish-Metric-M24-1-...amp;sr=1-1

And

What about quick disconnects for that stupid hose?
https://www.amazon.com/Colder-PLC17004-Quick-Disco...&psc=1
+
https://www.amazon.com/Colder-PLCD22004-Quick-Disc...G&th=1

Acetal has a temperature range of -40C to 120C. So it appears fine.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

4gears4tires.

My only concern is the temperature range and pressure capabilities of the window. No specs are a show stopper for me.
Most sight glasses are made for an oil sump, which have no pressure.
Tonight I will post a link to one I used, and it is rated appropriately.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Anybody want to shoot a hole in the idea of why buying the VanCafe/RMW tank then drilling a hole in the side for a sight glass wouldn't work?

i'll take a shot... i have the RMW Tank.

i truly don't believe it needs a window, and adding one just introduces more points of failure. the cap functions so much better than the Blau as long as your hose to the overflow tank is solid, that overflow level really does indicate Tank volume reliably. a standard cap, with 2 visible sealing surfaces works better as there is NOT an internal valve mechanism that gets schmoo in it. the pressure release lever is perfect to 'check' level because if you open it when warm, it burps any air into the overflow line, no spillage. you can hear and feel if there is air as quickly as looking at a sight glass.

when an accessory belt breaks in these engines, they can thrash around during their death rattle that will grab anything it can wrap around like a whip and pull it off. so an external sight tube gives me the willys. an imbedded sight glass would be a step better but again, 'taint needed. just shorten the coolant probe to give earlier warning.

the effort would be better served to add a loud buzzer to the ALT light so one can grab the ignition switch as fast as possible. not quite the same issue but better chance of saving the engine than a sight glass.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

your thoughts on the level sender? it looks to be the same that djkeev has posted.

their tank has too much crap going on imho. in HD applications the sight glass tends to leak.

i'm at a crossroads with my tank. unless i can get a dealer level sender i just don't know if i want to weld in the bungs i posted. what i try to do is make stuff better without going too custom....i like off the shelf parts.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

fits the OE sender just fine

The bungs does not include the sealing surface for the o-ring. How do you plan on sealing the threads against the system pressure?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

send me one for my custom tank ( in process soon) $ usps $
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

Dan, you convinced me. I went to order the RMW tank and..... it's out of stock.

Mad
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

your thoughts on the level sender? it looks to be the same that djkeev has posted.

that sender Dave posted looks great! able to seal tightly, with metal threads and has a ground connection. only question is the seal around the probe. RMW had issues with their early run of senders but has that straightened out.

regarding the OEM sender, as ?Waldo? says, there's not a visible way to seal that unless gluing it in with something. you can see the o-ring groove up near the hex and that was meant to seat into a recess in the poly tank, firmly compressing from 360 degrees on the outside rim, not top to bottom.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

The bungs does not include the sealing surface for the o-ring. How do you plan on sealing the threads against the system pressure?

thermo fan switch gasket and probably a dab of PST

DanHoug wrote:

that sender Dave posted looks great! able to seal tightly, with metal threads and has a ground connection. only question is the seal around the probe. RMW had issues with their early run of senders but has that straightened out..

wonderful.... as if i weren't on the fence as it was. i guess i will have to do some digging because NOT having a level sender is a deal breaker for me

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

Is there something wrong with the GoWesty aluminum expansion tank? It already has a sight window and uses the OEM fluid level sensor.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

nothing wrong with it.... but for 300 bux i can make 10 of the ones i am doing. i can mess up the first 7 and still be ahead financially

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

their tank has too much crap going on imho. in HD applications the sight glass tends to leak.

I don't quite understand the "too much crap going on" part. It's just like the ones you guys are building, but has no sight glass... GoWesty's has the sight glass.

RMW originally used the OEM sensor, then switched to an aftermarket due to the OEM being a crappy design that didn't play well with the aluminum tank (didn't play well with the plastic tank either, but I digress). The original aftermarket sensor RMW used contained plastic threads. Due to various issues with it, RMW switched to an all-metal version, which has proven to be the winner.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9251018#9251018
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9287403#9287403

As for the sight glass issue, I don't see the need for one. Since installing RMW's tank, I've only removed the cap for system refills; my van has never given me enough concern to constantly keep tabs on the pressure tank level, even with the plastic version.🤷‍♀️
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Dan, you convinced me. I went to order the RMW tank and..... it's out of stock.

Mad

well, it will be worth the wait! not to make you feel bad, but this should REALLY make you want one! so gorgeous.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728917

www.thefixitworkshop.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

I contacted them and they either just got them back in stock or the site glitched out and they fixed it. Either way, I ordered it. And you know, I realized I was missing a few rubber boots on my shift linkage, and my diff lock needs a few items to reinstall, and I really don't want put the tire under the front and I'm tired of it inside so I might as well pick up a swing out tire carrier.... and.. woooo look at that price summary.

They should really send you a beer as commission. Laughing
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

naw. they send me cookies. no one else gets those, right?

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Aluminum coolant Expansion tank Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

naw. they send me cookies. no one else gets those, right?

They sent me some!

Somehow they end up in my Grandchildren's tummies!?! Shocked

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: