Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Hello, Long time lurker here and I figured its about time I put what ive been up on thesamba. I've had this bus for about 9 years and have been working on it off and on. I'll upload what I have picture wise and would like to hear your questions of concerns of how I'm going. Plan is to get it running then tear it all apart and finish body work and paint. Shooting for around 300hp with a TD05, STI injectors, IGV deletes, tune and intake/exhaust.

2002 WRX donor 140k something miles
subarugears box is built and installed along with their mount kit using stock suby crossmember
running a aluminum belly rad with dual spal fans
hydro clutch
still need to do wiring
finish cooling sys (shroud/fan mount). all cooling pipes are done along with the modified crossover manifold.
need to build intake plumbing for turbo/intercooler
and build exhaust, i'm not happy with the one I previously did because of turbo location.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Hi Mason,

I just want to say that it is so much fun to drive. Right now I have about 175hp with the modified cams.
I would probably be scary at 300hp, unless dismantling a 911 for suspension and brakes wise.
I am not the builder, as it is Skills that built it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he jumps in this thread.
But you seem to know what to do, and I can’t wait to see the finished product 😁

Welcome in the Busaru club!
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Thanks man I can’t wait to drive let alone start it. Here she is all nestled in
[img]
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Damn, ow THAT is how you do a hydraulic clutch!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

haha yeah I had some steel lying around and I like mechanical things. I won't have to worry about it thats for sure.
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Been working on the radiator/fan shroud but of course I ran out of argon tonight. Also got my short oil filler that won’t interfere with the turbo mount location.

Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Finished up the radiator shroud and got the fans mounted. Finally installed all the coolant lines a radiator. Onto the fuel sys

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

There’s something about seeing people with fabrication skills (that I do not possess), doing quality work - especially in places no one will typically see - that gives me the same sense of awe and appreciation for beauty I get when I see a hawk or wolf in the wild. It’s why I love reading Skill’s threads (among others), and now this one.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

interesting clutch master setup. i do mine a bit differently but that is so much better than many i have seen. mine is basically tucked up under the pedal pan, next to the booster.

i never posted because out of respect for those who paid me to do it i didn't feel it was right to show all the work it took to get the stock pedal to work.

good luck with it. i'm assuming you're going with a AWIC setup? seeing a NA 2.5 built for torque is a hoot to drive this should be pretty scary. i like scary Cool

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

I’ve thought about a AWIC but I keep hear people talking about heat soak in the sys. Currently trying to figure out a practical place to put the stock top mount. The ones I’ve seen just throw it on top of the motor but it’s performance can only be marginal Without good airflow. I’ve tossed around the idea of putting it in the battery tray somehow with ducting to the side vent.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

AWIC is the way to go if you size it right. or run the a/c compressor to a killer chiller

https://killerchiller.com/

ideally you want IAT's at about 10*-15* above ambient and obviously the lower the better

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Mason.......good work! My turbo header is very similar. I'm running an AWIC.
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

More reading on awics is needed I guess. Dude your bus is legit I’ve been following it for awhile. What air to water are you running? Also are you still running the purge valve and how did you integrate it into the stock bus fuel vent if you kept it?
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

I'm running the http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/compact-liquid_air-intercooler-p-209.html one. And their water pump. I initially bought that small rad from eBay in the build link but have now purchased their heat exchanger-> http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-air-heat-exchanger/air-to-water-radiator-p-1063.html. I did add a reservoir this summer for added capacity. Actually it's a fuel tank I grabbed from Amazon and relocated the holes etc to meet my plumbing. I took out the foam and the level sensor also.

I did have to modify the intercooler also to fit my tight engine bay constraints.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=141357&start=120

As for the purge valve I'm not running one cause I'm running a stand alone fuel management. I purchased the wrong year JDM MY99-00 Turbo Forester engine(EJ20) and ECU. My fault due to not enough research. Plus it seemed everything you do to the intake/exhaust etc on these turbo engines required a 'tune' which I wasn't about to take it to the tuner every mod I did.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
interesting clutch master setup. i do mine a bit differently but that is so much better than many i have seen. mine is basically tucked up under the pedal pan, next to the booster.

i never posted because out of respect for those who paid me to do it i didn't feel it was right to show all the work it took to get the stock pedal to work.

good luck with it. i'm assuming you're going with a AWIC setup? seeing a NA 2.5 built for torque is a hoot to drive this should be pretty scary. i like scary Cool

Unless they designed it themselves, the bolded makes zero sense to me.

Imagine the progress and perfecting of this conversion we'd have if everyone shared their ideas and work. I get it though, you are a business and you have to look out for your own interests.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

He’s in a competitive business and is fastidious in detail, which racks up hours of time, for which he gets paid some fraction.

Giving his designs to enable people to do this in a shoddy way and undercut him makes no sense and is a reasonable position.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
He’s in a competitive business and is fastidious in detail, which racks up hours of time, for which he gets paid some fraction.

Giving his designs to enable people to do this in a shoddy way and undercut him makes no sense and is a reasonable position.

Except that’s not the reason he gave.
Mason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Welded in the coolant drain and got the TGVs removed and ported them.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Also my interpretation.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Bay Window WRX/subarugears conversion Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Except that’s not the reason he gave.

how's this for clarification:

i don't feel it's right for someone to pay me for an idea and share that idea with the general public. neither do the people footing the bill.

furthermore why share it so some shitbag "installer" can rip off the idea and profit from it?

you're right...life would be easier if we shared all of our knowledge. some of that comes at a price...years of fiddling, training or trial and error. i'm more than willing to help someone who has tried, failed, tried again and failed. i'm not willing to give away info to someone who hasn't even tried.

if you want all the shit sorted for you...go buy a kit from fellow's, RMW etc and pay for it. they'd be more than happy to take your money and give you tech support

to the o/p...

these swap threads seem to turn into a fuckfest...don't let it bother you. muscle thru it....you got this Cool

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: