Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you build today?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: What did you build today? Reply with quote

I needed a stand for my Harbor Freight shrinker/stretcher so I hacked up some scrap steel & fused it together.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still have to fab up some foot pedals for it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

You’re not going to leave that box metal uncapped like that , are you?

Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

dam, nice scraps.... as for me....enclosing carport to keep sun off my roadster.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
dam, nice scraps....

Yeah, they were awesome scraps.

This was a “crate” for a set of garage doors installed by a local construction company, I was vulturing the frame as they were unloading the doors & they gave it to me. Razz

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Nice looking welds. I wish I had learned to weld.
David
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

A Bosch 019 today.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A Bosch 019 today.

I suppose you want points for that?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Glenn wrote:
A Bosch 019 today.

I suppose you want points for that?

Brownie points... sure.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Wormy chestnut base for a menorah my wife is making for a workmate. Apparently today was decorate the office day, and its all santa/Christianity based.
She packs meds for a industrial pharmacy, so the candles are drug bottles, the flames will be colored tule.
Windowless warehouse, no real fire allowed.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Finishing up my 1970 Rupp Scrambler
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

It takes 2 days to build this, no not the crank and rods you see that’s obligatory VW content. “This” is a huge pot of red beans and rice. Hardly anyone in the Midwest knows how to do this it’s more of a southern thang 😀 but the way I’m doing it is fusion between Creole and Tex Mex.

I am using 2 ham hocks better known as pigs feet that are smoked just for flavor. It’s mostly fat which I’ll discard. The actual meat will be genuine Andouille sausage and I’ve got to make a trip to see my Cajun connection for that Mr. Herbert.

Most Cajun cooking begins with the trinity, onions,green bell peppers and celery. The fusion comes from using cilantro, diced tomatoes, jalapeños cumin, chili powder and about a six pack of cheap Budweiser beer. A few more spices you see on the counter, a splash of BBQ sauce. Absent from this recipe is salt, I use none although there is probably enough contained with the individual ingredients.

This starts by culling anything foreign and soaking the beans in cold water overnight a minimum of eight to ten hours. After the beans are rinsed the next day they go back in the pot and are covered using no salt added chicken stock that’s right do not use any water. I also begin adding the beer at least two and bring it to a boil. Turn it down to simmer add in the other stuff and boil it again then reduce, maybe add another beer, you could drink one while you are doing this even if it’s early AM nobody cares😀

Now comes the waiting. I’ll simmer this for at least 8 to 10 hours. Near the end of cook time you add a small amount of the andouille sausage to each serving. I’ll pack these up and put them in the freezer and have meals for at least 2 months. You can serve this over white rice but to be a little more healthy I use a brown rice and quinoa mix for the fiber.

The whole thing makes a meal you can enjoy with a piece of corn bread.
This is a traditional Monday meal in New Orleans but you could enjoy this no matter where you are. Yummy and it’s fairly cheap to make.

Wife didn’t see the nasty crankshaft, she was taking a shower😀
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Mmmm, sounds good!

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

do you cater?? like the style of house btw.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
It takes 2 days to build this, no not the crank and rods you see that’s obligatory VW content. “This” is a huge pot of red beans and rice. Hardly anyone in the Midwest knows how to do this it’s more of a southern thang 😀 but the way I’m doing it is fusion between Creole and Tex Mex.

I am using 2 ham hocks better known as pigs feet that are smoked just for flavor. It’s mostly fat which I’ll discard. The actual meat will be genuine Andouille sausage and I’ve got to make a trip to see my Cajun connection for that Mr. Herbert.

Most Cajun cooking begins with the trinity, onions,green bell peppers and celery. The fusion comes from using cilantro, diced tomatoes, jalapeños cumin, chili powder and about a six pack of cheap Budweiser beer. A few more spices you see on the counter, a splash of BBQ sauce. Absent from this recipe is salt, I use none although there is probably enough contained with the individual ingredients.

This starts by culling anything foreign and soaking the beans in cold water overnight a minimum of eight to ten hours. After the beans are rinsed the next day they go back in the pot and are covered using no salt added chicken stock that’s right do not use any water. I also begin adding the beer at least two and bring it to a boil. Turn it down to simmer add in the other stuff and boil it again then reduce, maybe add another beer, you could drink one while you are doing this even if it’s early AM nobody cares😀

Now comes the waiting. I’ll simmer this for at least 8 to 10 hours. Near the end of cook time you add a small amount of the andouille sausage to each serving. I’ll pack these up and put them in the freezer and have meals for at least 2 months. You can serve this over white rice but to be a little more healthy I use a brown rice and quinoa mix for the fiber.

The whole thing makes a meal you can enjoy with a piece of corn bread.
This is a traditional Monday meal in New Orleans but you could enjoy this no matter where you are. Yummy and it’s fairly cheap to make.

Wife didn’t see the nasty crankshaft, she was taking a shower😀

Yummy! I’d really like to make this this weekend, any chance you could post some more info? As far as how much seasoning? I always overseason stuff and ruin it.

I’ve been working on this loader/backhoe using a design from pfengineering plans https://www.loaderplans.com/
I’ve about got it all sorted with Paul from pf engineering’s help. Hopefully I can do some digging in the spring
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

I've been building a battery backup to run a few critical loads at home during power outages. 24 volt, 200 amp hours of storage should give me 1.5 to 2 days before needing to drag out the generator to charge. I did some calculations and should be able to run a few lights, phone and internet equipment, TV, and refrigerator.

Battery cells and battery management have come in, inverter/charger, meters, bus bars and fuses are ordered. Need to lay out the components and figure out the cabling, circuit breakers and connection to the loads.

The plan is to add a few solar panels after the system is running and capacity is known, but I came across a deal that may make that happen sooner than later.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Im still working on the car port. well when I get my ass off this couch Im holding down this am.( cold&rainy not to interested in going out there.)
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Seems close enough https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creole-black-beans-n-sausage/
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Im still working on the car port. well when I get my ass off this couch Im holding down this am.( cold&rainy not to interested in going out there.)

Tough being retired ain't it! I get up once in a while and stick my head out just to see all the snow and cold I don't have to deal with anymore. See the work truck? Ya, I gave it back to the Boss man!

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Seems close enough https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creole-black-beans-n-sausage/

Leave out the tomato and thyme and use red beans instead of black beans. And probably need to add more red pepper. And a little chili powder won't hurt either. Other than that, it is exactly like how I would make red beans. Rolling Eyes

Anyway. Traditionally, red beans are made with leftover sunday ham, but I make mine with smoked sausage a lot.

Also, I keep a couple of cans of Bluerunner New Orleans Creole Cream Style red beans in the pantry for when I just want a quick meal. Add some chopped up smoked sausage or ham, heat it through and serve over hot rice.
https://bluerunnerfoods.com/

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you build today? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Leave out the tomato and thyme and use red beans instead of black beans. And probably need to add more red pepper. And a little chili powder won't hurt either. Other than that, it is exactly like how I would make red beans. Rolling Eyes

Anyway. Traditionally, red beans are made with leftover sunday ham, but I make mine with smoked sausage a lot.

Also, I keep a couple of cans of Bluerunner New Orleans Creole Cream Style red beans in the pantry for when I just want a quick meal. Add some chopped up smoked sausage or ham, heat it through and serve over hot rice.
https://bluerunnerfoods.com/

Nice thing about it is you can dial it in just the way you like it. Through trial and error I’ve come up with something my own. As for amounts or measurements the best cooks I’ve ever known seasoned to taste. They pour into their hand without using a measure. Using standard recipes is ok but why not experiment?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: