Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Injector pulse is too fast
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bri4msn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

Hi,

1986 Vanagon manual.

My mechanic recently changed the Coolant Temperature Sensor because of reduced power at low RPM.

The spark plugs also are very dark, running very rich on fuel.

Now the engine is no longer turning on and using a light bulb to measure the activity of the injectors, it indicates that the injectors are firing too fast.

We are planning to swap the ECU for another one that is known to be good, in order to see if this is the origin of the problem.

Are there any other factors that could be causing the injectors to be firing so fast?

Thank-you to all and Happy Holidays!

Barry
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

What do you mean by 'firing too fast'? Do you mean they fire too often, or that they stay on for too long in each cycle? How are you diagnosing this with a filament light bulb?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

You should be using an LED to test. A light bulb may draw too much load. Not good for the ECU.
bri4msn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, it's an LED.

I'm trying to upload a video of the LED as I try to start her up. The LED is blinking very fast, and the engine is not turning on.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

Before you go too far down that rabbit hole, you should try spraying some starting fluid in the intake and see if you can get it to run for a second or two. That’s the easiest was to confirm a fuel delivery problem. It also verifies all the other conditions for running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

Each injector should pulse 2 times for every crank pulley revolution.

Each injector should pulse 4 times for every distributor revolution.

Mark

bri4msn wrote:
Yes, sorry, it's an LED.

I'm trying to upload a video of the LED as I try to start her up. The LED is blinking very fast, and the engine is not turning on.
bri4msn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

Thank-you, I will relay this to my mechanic.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

If the problem started when the TSII sensor was changed, I would be going back over that work to see what was done wrong. There are two dimensionally similar sensor installed into the thermostat housing and its possible to switch the wires. Doesn't know what effect this might have though.

I would certainly check the resistance of the new sensor to see it it matches the book value.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pulse is too fast Reply with quote

Too fast?
How does he measure this "too fast" ? I imagine he has noids he plugged in?

Does he realize that all four injectors pulse at once? There is no sequential firing going on.

And they pulse pretty darn quick! The resulting spray when you pull an injector appears as a continuous mist of gasoline.

Bentley has procedures and specs for volume testing and measuring the injector delivery.
I'd run the Bentley tests, ignore the "they pulse too fast" opinion.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: