Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 exhaust questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camperseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: 1.9 exhaust questions Reply with quote

Hey y’all I just purchased a complete exhaust kit from bus depot with the cat delete pipe. I bought the gasket and hdwr kit and I’m wondering do I still use those “donuts gaskets” that would go to the cat for the cat delete pipe?
Also the tailpipe was missing from the kit. Apparently it won’t be in until late February!!! They should’ve said something!
Also the muffler is all dinged up and the kit didn’t come with any instructions whatsoever.
I did buy some lava rock muffler wrap and wrapped those today. I hit all the nuts and bolts with PB blaster and I’m getting after this exhaust install tomorrow.
Also I’m sort of confused about the muffler brackets. The rod that goes to the j pipe on the drivers side is there and there is another bracket on the passenger side that goes to the muffler and that one is broken. The top portion is there and it’s missing the bottom half, the original owner used a wire coat hanger to fasten it Up. What is that whole situation supposed to look like ??
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 exhaust questions Reply with quote

From a previous poster asking about the Support Rods.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 exhaust questions Reply with quote

My stock Cat system just has flat gaskets to mount anything to the Cat itself.
I did buy the delete pipe in case I ever need it, wasn't aware it took different gaskets or seals... now I have to go look at it when I get home.... Razz Razz
Normal for dings and minor dents on our exhausts as they're shipped to us, most Vendors have a note on the ordering page warning about it.
As long as no internal baffling got really hit from a large dent, it's not an issue usually.

Tail pipe is also available as a Stainless Steel item from Vintage Speed.

takes a bit of time to get it from the Far East, but it's not that expensive at all.
I think I got mine ordered through Air Cooled Net.

It will turn different shades from heat, but it doesn't rust like the one that came with my exhaust kit originally. I even blasted that one to bare metal, painted with BBQ high heat paint and it still slowly rusted.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The Vintage Speed tail pipe just keeps rolling along... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
camperseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 exhaust questions Reply with quote

I got the exhaust out fairly easily. Some tips I wanted to point out for anyone else trying to do it. Definitely spray the bolts down before hand. Everything came off pretty easily for me. If I did it again I would take off the outermost heat shields, I had to take the drivers side one off to remove the rear most header, (I think that’s 2 & 4 ) and taking the other one off would make it easier to get after the bolts with a ratchet instead of regular wrenches. The top bolt on the header next to the oil filter (I think that’s #4) was a pain but I was able to get a 1/4 ratchet with a short socket in there perfectly and get it off.
Tip for anyone wrapping the exhaust. DO NOT! Wrap them all the way tight to the mounting flanges. The clearance on these flanges are so tight that the extra material makes it to where you cannot get the washer and nuts on. I had to trim the wrap back, very frustrating. I reinstalled the forward most header (1 & 3 I think) and that wasn’t too bad. The rear most header (2 & 4) is a different story. Getting that top bolt back in on #4 has proved extremely difficult. I gave up because it was getting dark. I’m getting back after it today... any tips on getting that thing in there ???
As I said before the kit did not come with any instructions whatsoever so I’ve been using common sense for these washers, nuts and bolts for the most part. I’m still unsure if I have to use the donut style gasket for the cat delete or not ?? The go westy exhaust video has been somewhat helpful. It seems a bit ridiculous it didn’t even come with at least diagram or something for the mounting hardware. Anyway, I’m about to get after it, I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Thanks
camperseth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 exhaust questions Reply with quote

Got the exhaust back in fairly painless. I was able to get the top bolt in on #4 and ratchet it down with the same 1/4 ratchet and smaller 13mm. It was actually the lower bolt on #4 that was a painful 1/4 turn by 1/4 turn.
Everything lined up ok. This wasn’t too bad of a job
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 exhaust questions Reply with quote

Good work.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: