Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I just entered this post into the FAQ section.
I know it is a gauge and I debated where to put it. I figured most people would check out the engine cooling system section if they have gauge issues. So that's where I put it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236044#6236044

If you feel it should be with instruments, let me know, I'll move it.
Or..... we don't generally do this, but in both sections?

Dave

Put it in both!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

At the time of the rebuild I only had a pack of new blue led on hand (replaced high beam led) . They are also much brighter than the original red so I also thought might do a better job of catching the drivers eye. Also water is blue so why not have a blue led for coolant!?!

Using my diode test on the MM, new blue led Vf = 2.53, original red led Vf = 1.9

Not a huge difference, my rudimentary electric math indicates a small change in the current, maybe an issue anyway?

Either way, I'll undo the gauge tonight and put the original red back in if it'll be helpful.

I was also able to borrow a gauge from the local VW shop (thanks to Glenn's Small Auto in Courtenay, BC) and installed it in the dash. It operates as expected which confirms that I certainly have a gauge issue.
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

Jim,

The coolant temp needle taps directly into the 10v input post from the gauge and terminates at the ground post which is connected to the 14/6 wire / coolant temperature sensor. There is nothing else in the circuit apart from it running in parallel to the rest of the gauge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

NorthOf50 wrote:
Using my diode test on the MM, new blue led Vf = 2.53, original red led Vf = 1.9

So the red LED is normal/typical after all. I'll assume both illuminated when tested. So much for that idea!

Was just reading crazyvwvanman's informative and detailed description (circa 2013) of how the sensors work with the gauge/LED (halfway down page):
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571522

If you can borrow a good 42 or 43 pseudo relay, it might be worth a shot to swap it in.

Below is a pic from inside a 42, courtesy of lt-forum.de. I can pop open a 43 if that's useful (it's sealed closed, so will be slightly destructive):
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

Quote:

If you can borrow a good 42 or 43 pseudo relay, it might be worth a shot to swap it in.

I tested w/ a known good gauge and that gauge lights up no problem so we can be sure that the flashing is internal to the gauge.

My fault must still be inside there somewhere, I'll have to open it up again and have a go a replacing bits inside again.
kirtfitzpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

A couple of those connections look slightly suspect. Kinda hard to be sure from the photo though. Could you test continuity or resistance between some of the most suspect pins on the backside and its corresponding track on the frontside? It could be something as simple as a bad connection. That would explain everything.
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

Two things:

1 - Solution / workaround found! I had also ordered a GW Audible Coolant Temp alarm kit, before I found this post on how to rebuild the gauge.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/24196/gowesty-audible-coolant-temp-alarm-kit?v=

I installed it tonight so see if, like I assumed, it would work despite or in spite of, the LED not working. It does, and it is very loud. I'd recommend one to everyone as unless glued to the gauges, one may miss a blinking red LED. Anyhow, the audible alarm works and I also tried inserting a LED in line with the speaker. When the speaker sounds, it will make the LED flash too. Therefor if I completely botch all of this and can never get the gauge LED to work I plan on bypassing the gauge LED entirely and wiring a "back door" to it from the GW alarm to allow both to work.

2 - A shortage of time has held me up. I suspect the gauge is not working most likely due to me novice soldering. I'm about to dig in there and try to re-work the board if I have no luck testing the bits as they are currently soldered in place.

Will report back later tonight or this weekend. Jim, you circuit diagram was quite helpful. A minor tweak here or there and it's perfect. I already had that mental picture in my head so am happy I snagged a copy before you removed the photo from the post!

Smile
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

The ground post is the middle one of the three on the gauge.
The temp sensor connects to one of the end posts.
The other end post is 10v power into the gauge.

The ground post isn't used by the gauge needle reading.
The ground post is used by the flashing led.

To see which threaded post is which, you can look at the wiring colors in the GW Alarm photos that have wires going to the posts.
https://www.gowesty.com/images/ec/products/large/large_4aef11a09b6ea36254a4ef8ad8c46848.jpg

Mark

NorthOf50 wrote:
Jim,

The coolant temp needle taps directly into the 10v input post from the gauge and terminates at the ground post which is connected to the 14/6 wire / coolant temperature sensor. ......
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

OK, back in the game...

It's tricky sorting out the circuit without the device in front of me and some measuring tools while also relying on verbal descriptions, but here's the latest attempt!

I still don't like the LED having no current limiting resistor except for the internal 50ohm resistor apparently inside the 741.

I think I can see how it works apart from that. With the engine cold, the + i/p of the 741 is held higher than the - i/p (which is a steady 5.2V). If the engine gets so hot the diode pulls the + i/p below 5.2V then the LED turns on, but the o/p is held at 5.5V by the zener. The capacitor charges enough that the + i/p goes higher than 5.2V again, and the LED goes off.

When the coolant level goes low, the control relay sends short -ve pulses to the + i/p, which is enough to trigger the flashing, but hardly affects the high hysteresis of the bimetallic strip.

^^^^ or something like that, assuming the circuit above is correct.

Last edited by fxr on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

Nearly perfect Jim. The only alteration I can tell required (and it really makes little difference) is that the "control box" and the "ntc sensor" both enter/exit the gauge on the same wire, connection 14/6 on the 14 pin (at least for my '84) so technically there are only 3 connections to the gauge.

Great work, I hope this gets pinned and saved someone important. This will also help me track down my bad connections, which I think is a poor soldering job @ the 750k and 150k resistor.

Kudos for your hard work on getting this done.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

NorthOf50 wrote:
Nearly perfect Jim. The only alteration I can tell required (and it really makes little difference) is that the "control box" and the "ntc sensor" both enter/exit the gauge on the same wire, connection 14/6 on the 14 pin (at least for my '84) so technically there are only 3 connections to the gauge.

Ah, OK. I was concentrating more on function than form it seems. Smile

I'll fix that later today. Fixed, thanks. Smile
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

Please note that you also drew 2 ground paths to the dashed line enclosed area when there is only 1.

I realize that it doesn't change the function but since the physical gauge has only 3 external connections it is less confusing to show only 3.

Mark

fxr wrote:
NorthOf50 wrote:

Ah, OK. I was concentrating more on function than form it seems. Smile

I'll fix that later today.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Please note that you also drew 2 ground paths to the dashed line enclosed area when there is only 1.

I realize that it doesn't change the function but since the physical gauge has only 3 external connections it is less confusing to show only 3.

Mark

Thanks Mark! Done. Smile
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

Ok, finally I have some free time (and energy *children*)...

I suspected that I had a bad solder join on my board so I reheated them all and let the solder set again. Now my led lights up, hurray! It doesn't blink *sigh* but it is blue and very bright, that coupled with the GW audible siren I think might be "good enough" for now.

I'm not sure why it doesn't blink and I do have enough bits to rebuild it entirely a second time but I will put that lower down on the project list now.

Here's a video in case anyone is interested. I'm a fan of the brighter LED.

https://youtu.be/CvUIkT1ndAA

Thanks again to all who collaborated on this.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

I have not verified this myself but someone who seemed in a position to know once told me that the led itself was a flashing led version.

There are such things available today. Here is a link to examples but I don't know if any of these are suitable or not.

https://www.newark.com/c/optoelectronics-displays/led-products/flashing-blinking-leds#

Mark
kirtfitzpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

NorthOf50 wrote:
Now my led lights up, hurray!

Awesome! Glad you didn't give up. Now we're two for two. Wink

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I have not verified this myself but someone who seemed in a position to know once told me that the led itself was a flashing led version.

This seems likely, why build a circuit to flash the LED when the LED can flash all by itself. And this could be great news for NorthOf50. His/your circuit may be 100% functional and all you need to do is order a (color of your choice) flashing LED. You're so close I can taste it!

We may have chased after many red herrings but I feel the post is now the better for it.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

They didn't have flashing LEDs back then. They didn't even have blue ones!

>>>> The flashing initiating pulses come from the relay. <<<< Only partially correct, depending on year and coolant level function.

Last edited by fxr on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
They didn't have flashing LEDs back then. They didn't even have blue ones! The flashing initiating pulses come from the relay.

Except I have an 86 cluster in my 82. So no relay or float
switch and yet, key on the coolant LED flashes 10 times. Hmm?
kirtfitzpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
They didn't have flashing LEDs back then. They didn't even have blue ones! The flashing initiating pulses come from the relay.

This doesn't sound right to me as there is a blue LED for the high beam indicator, at least in my '88 instrument panel.

I have no idea about the flashing LEDs but it would be worth connecting the old red LED to a battery/power supply to see how it behaves.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Temp Gauge Rebuild w/parts list & photos Reply with quote

The flashing absolutely doesn't come from the relay.
The flashing occurs at key on even with the relay removed from the van.

With a bare gauge in my hand I can set the +V and Ground studs on the contacts of a 9 volt battery.
The led will immediately start flashing.

Mark

fxr wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: