Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My eyes are old and bent...
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

..just like Matthias's.

Any chance we could have a forum preference option in Control Panel for 'large font'?

I have to resize the font every time I open The Samba. Setting a larger font size as the default in my browser screws up menus and tabs on other websites. I only have to re-size here because the font is itsy-bitsy.

Ta

Andy

Quote:

MATTHIAS: My eyes are dim. I cannot see.

CENTURION: Are you Matthias?

MATTHIAS: Yes.

CENTURION: We have reason to believe you may be hiding one Brian of Nazareth, a member of the terrorist organisation, the 'People's Front of Judea'.

MATTHIAS: Me? No. I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

In the meantime, on a Windows PC the "control-mouse roll" quickly zooms in and out.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
In the meantime, on a Windows PC the "control-mouse roll" quickly zooms in and out.

Yeah, but I have to do that on Every. Single. Page.*

I even had to zoom to read what I was writing in this reply. Rolling Eyes

*Although I use pinch zoom on the touchpad, rather than a mouse.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

On most browsers, "Ctrl +" zooms the whole page quickly and painlessly, maybe give that a try. Of course, "Ctrl -" zooms it out again. Just keep tapping the + key once the Ctrl key depressed.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

I'm not sure I can do that easily but which fonts?

The Forum text or everything or ?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not sure I can do that easily but which fonts?

The Forum text or everything or ?

The tabs at the top of the screen are not so bad because they're bold text. The rest of the fonts are very small.

There seems to be a lot of 'dead space' on the screen as well, as if the page was set up for a potrait-shaped monitor.

Quick screenshot comparison of this thread on The Samba v a random thread on SSVC...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

Ok, it looks like they intentionally made that larger than the default sizing.
I will check that out.

I have thought about using the center of the screen like that for the Forums, etc. as that is a little easier to read on people with wide screens.

Obviously it wouldn't affect mobile devices since they are already narrow.

Opinions on that welcome as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

Ctrl + makes the font larger in your browser.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

Wait... on the SSVC site did you make it larger?

I picked a random thread there and the text is not larger for me.
This thread:
https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118629
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I have thought about using the center of the screen like that for the Forums, etc. as that is a little easier to read on people with wide screens.

Please don't do that. There's nothing more irritating than having all the site content squished into the center of the screen, with big stupid
blank areas on either side. Window sizes are easily adjustable if someone likes that look.

The OP must be using some second-rate browser, if it doesn't have permanent, per-site zoom settings, like Firefox has.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

Thanks Everett. Yes; I must have set a zoom on the SSVC forum in the past and forgotten. Embarassed

From messing about with Firefox this afternoon, it looks like it behaves differently depending on how you apply a zoom.

>You can set a site-specific zoom using the side menu (accessed via the three horizontal bars at top right) or 'Ctrl+'. Firefox applies the default zoom to all other sites unless they have site-specific zooms.

>'Pinch zoom' on a touch pad or screen seems to set a one-time-only zoom on the current page while you're on it. If you navigate away; the default zoom is applied/re-applied.

I've been using pinch zoom rather than Ctrl+ because my laptop has a condensed keyboard so no separate '+' key.

>Changing the 'default zoom' setting applies that zoom setting to all pages on any site that you haven't set a site-specific zoom for. Depending on how sites are formatted though, that can screw up menus.

I've set a site-specific zoom for The Samba at 150%. It's caused the tab text to overlap and the text in post formatting buttons is truncated, but I can deal with that.

At least I don't have to keep switching to my reading glasses.

Getting old sucks. Laughing Embarassed

Cheers

Andy

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

Firefox also has a "zoom text only" mode, you turn in on and off
(for all sites) from "View" menu > Zoom > Zoom Text Only

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Please don't do that. There's nothing more irritating than having all the site content squished into the center of the screen, with big stupid
blank areas on either side. Window sizes are easily adjustable if someone likes that look.

The OP must be using some second-rate browser, if it doesn't have permanent, per-site zoom settings, like Firefox has.

Ok, thanks for the feedback and for the per-site zoom settings.

I see Chrome does that too - I have zoomed before by only by accident and never noticed it was by web site and not all sites everywhere that you are looking at.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

well if you do end up adding different font pre sets for the site please throw Helvetica in there Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

I'll vote for this as well...and my eyes are good! I've always found the font on here hard to see, worse on a phone. Anything you could do would be great!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My eyes are old and bent... Reply with quote

Like I already posted, Ctrl + will make the font larger in both Chrome and Firefox. No need for forum changes.

Glenn wrote:
Ctrl + makes the font larger in your browser.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96810?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Change text, image, and video sizes (zoom)

You can change the size of text, images, and videos for one webpage or for all webpages.

Zoom in or out on your current page

Use the zoom options to make everything on a webpage larger or smaller.

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More.
Next to "Zoom," choose the zoom options you want:
Make everything larger: Click Zoom in Zoom in.
Make everything smaller: Click Zoom out Zoom out.
Use full-screen mode: Click Full screen Full screen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: