Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Bumper mount
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raymondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

Hi

I'm about to start on my 67 bug on the rear inner arch. I am going to have to replace the engine bay side plate behind this as well as there is rust starting to show.

Is it best to take out the engine to tackle this whole job? Or should i leave it in?

I assume i need to put the rear valance and decklid back on when i go to fit the bumper bracket?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

Yeah, you’re getting deep into it... yank the engine.... does it even have an apron? Looks to be missing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raymondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
Yeah, you’re getting deep into it... yank the engine.... does it even have an apron? Looks to be missing.

Yes it has an apron it was cut off in the past so has the inner wing bits attached to it. The wings were the only thing holding it on.

I put everything back together and noticed the bumper bracket on the drivers side sits way higher than the passenger side. Both mounts will need to be done.

What's the best thing to do so that they line up when fully welded in? Am I best yo strip the car tack the new mounts in and then use a level to make sure there the same height?
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

You’ll have to do several test fits of fenders, bumper and rear apron before you do final welding. Are you using German parts or reproductions. The repros will require a lot more test fits. Don’t get discouraged, but you’ll have the fenders and bumper off/on quite a few times before you do final welding. Take your time because you want it to look good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raymondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

I was thinking cut off the current mounts then with both new mount panels I was tempted to tack weld the new panels to the valance and then offer it up with the wings attached and then line up the wings with the body then mark up where I need to cut. Tack everything in and then see if the mounts are level and go from there.

Obviously I will make sure the deck lid lines up aswell but does this seem like the right way to go?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

I did something similar with my 74 that had shock mounts, but I replaced both bumper mounts with with earlier 73 solid mounts. Once I cut off the old mounts, I attached the rear fenders, then bolted the new mounts to the fenders using the associated correct holes, replacement apron, and closed the engine lid. Then I was able to transfer the cut lines from the body to the replacement panels. I cut the new panels to fit, reattached everything again to make sure it lined up, it didn't, and I had to do several rounds of trimming and fitting until it did. Then once everything fit while bolted up, I tack welded the replacement panels in.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

I think you’re approaching it fine. Remember, if you use the aftermarket panels... you don’t have to use the whole piece... just clean up the originals and see how much you have to cut away to get to the good stuff.

If you’re just doing bumper brackets, you can drill all the spot welds and just remove the brackets.

Cut off the bad, cut nice and use for-thought to set yourself up with some good seams to weld together.

Take your replacement panel and cut just a bit larger then you need, this way you can test fit and sneak up on the proper dimensions while checking bumper and fender alignment.

Do this until you’re happy with your bumper/fender/seal seam. Also the apron/ decklid fitment should be checked. You can use screws, magnets or tack welds to begin the rough assembly of the parts.

Take your time, test fit, weld nice joints and they’ll finish out smoothly and remain clean after minimal body work and sealing/painting.
Raymondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

Cheers all

Managed to get a look at the passenger side it looks fine as in it doesnt need much work. Just need to weld a strip for the last two bolt holes for the wing.

Only thing that worrys me is that if it's not original has it been done correctly. I spose I wont know until I offer up the drivers side mount and then see if the brackets are level.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

If you'd wire wheel all the crud off them you might find they could be welded/repaired in situ instead of pasting on new ones? Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

1966-67 rear bumper mounts are unique And they are no reproduction pattern parts available. The aftermarket only has universal 1968-later that might fit. If you’re car is worth the effort, you might want to find and purchase donor panels from a 1966/67 beetle.
I had to do the the same repair. My mounts were so far gone that a previous owner welded the bumper brackets directly to the mount.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

I will do 66/67 rear bumper mounts in the next weeks. These will be as close as possible to the originals.

I do not do this for the first time. I need them for 3 project cars the next year and will run about 10-12 sets.

A pic from my own 67, made about 15 years ago:

VeeDee
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper mount Reply with quote

VeeDee wrote:
I will do 66/67 rear bumper mounts in the next weeks. These will be as close as possible to the originals.

I do not do this for the first time. I need them for 3 project cars the next year and will run about 10-12 sets.

A pic from my own 67, made about 15 years ago:

Hi,

I was wondering if you were able to reproduce these? And if you're selling them?

Thanks,
Dave
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: