Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

This commercial had the daughter of Fay Wray, the actress who played the same heroine role in the famous 1933 King Kong movie.

Apparently the commercial wasn't shown much back in the day, because all that registered with viewers was King Kong, not the 411 Exclamation Very Happy

1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Fabulous! Thank you for posting this!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Thanks for posting! I remember also a 411/412 commercial where one or two were circling a high speed banked track. Anybody have that one?
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Is this it Question

1973 412 TV commercial
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

tlake,
Yep, that’s it! Not quite a banked test track but you know how memories are. Luxury automatic but funny thing is the close up of the gear selector shows the driver apparently jamming it into 1st while driving!!! This is a wonderful 412 ad because it shows the cars in action. Love it!
Bill
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
tlake,
Yep, that’s it! Not quite a banked test track but you know how memories are. Luxury automatic but funny thing is the close up of the gear selector shows the driver apparently jamming it into 1st while driving!!! This is a wonderful 412 ad because it shows the cars in action. Love it!
Bill

Yes, I know about the memory playing tricks. Smile I also noticed the stick shifted way back. 1st was good for 35 mph, so it might have been done on the slow corners.

A fully automatic automatic was something the Citroen DS didn't have, nor the NSU Ro80, or even the Porsche 911 Exclamation BMWs continued to have a trunklid automatic badge until the late '70s. Automatic was certainly something special in Europe. Smile

At around 180 in long, no manual choke, a real automatic and comfy room for 4, the 411/412 were ahead of their time. Really, the midsize car of the '80s.

This appreciative comment on the video says it all:

"I had a amazing 74 412 Coupe in that wonderful silver blue metallic color. man I loved that car. The gas heater was the finest invention ever keeping those Chicago winters cozy. Never skidded on snow once with that car. Loved doing the 5 hour drives from Chicago to SIU back in the mid 70's on the interstate. What a great highway car too."

Running right they weren't slow cars, even with automatic. You would need a Mercedes 300TD to match an automatic 411/412. Cool
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

tlake,

I totally agree! Stick or automatic... these were fun, spirited cars to drive when everything worked right.
Bill
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Hee hee.. indeed "when everything worked right". Had my first one, a ten year old '73 two door, not been such a marvelous car I probably would not have subsequently purchased the other two royal pains in search of the same bliss. And this back in the day when they weren't just a hobby, but needed transportation! Now having just watched several of the you tube type 4 videos that followed tlake's videos really makes me want another one (wife says no). Not sure why the styling was so galvanizing. I loved both the original and Brook Stevens update.

Chris
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Chris,

I have been thinking the same thing concerning the styling. It really doesn't look that unusual next to other imports of the day, like the Saab 99, Peugeot 504, Volvo 1800ES sport wagon or BMW 2002. All I can say is that people were used to Valiants and Novas, and hatchbacks or cars that resembled hatchbacks, hadn't really started yet. I like the color of the sedan in the 1973 commercial. Cool

The flipside to the 412's styling reception, was that at the same time people were going nuts over the Volvo 1800ES, with the West Coast distributor ordering all 1800s in that wagon configuration in 1972 Exclamation Shocked
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 King Kong 411 TV commercial Reply with quote

Yeah, I always likened the styling to the Saab 99's. So, too sophisticated for the traditional V dubber? Not sophisticated enough for everyone else? My memory may be flawed, but wasn't the rumored new VW in the states supposed to have been the K70? What ever the case a lot of people missed out. As I have stated in this forum before the two door (with, as the T4-isti among us knows, 4 spd. and front/rear sway bars) was as rewarding to drive as my previous BMW 2002's. In the end though, and having nothing to do with dismal sales, its real achilles heel was its propensity to rust out before your very eyes.

Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: