Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any hams out there? Antenna mount question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

I am about to get my technicians license, and will be looking to install a mobile rig in the very near future. I am interested in what others have come up with in terms of antennas. I'd really like to come up with an antenna solution that covers both 2m and 10m. Any input would be much appreciated!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

I had a dual band 2M-70cm Larsen antenna installed in a ⅝ hole drilled through the crossmember above the B pillar. Was permanent, waterproof, solid and gave a great ground plane. The problem is if you want 2M plus 10M, there is no easy solution due to the differences between those wavelengths and a certain attitude among hams towards any mention of the 10 meter band. You are probably going to get better cooperation from ham operators who also operate on the CB 11 meter band.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

I just ordered a gutter antenna mount and using a 3 foot firestick for my CB I am getting also a spring and quick disconnect. I will probably get another gutter mount for my Ham. I have a Yaesu ft60r with a magnet mount antenna that I will probably be selling if you are interested. The gutter mount seemed best for me as I did not want to drill, the mount looks pretty stout.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

Howdy,

My van is a mobile ham shack.

My VHF/UHF antennas are two Diamond NR770HBNMO dual banders, mounted on the top of the engine vent lumens using Laird Tech SBTB3400 mounting plates.

You can see my original ham radio config post with those antennas here (warning--big photos, long load times), and I've included a photo below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For HF and all other operations (6 meters, 10 meters, CB frequencies, and everything up to 40 meters) I am using a 102" whip mounted on a RMW steel bumper. This provides an excellent ground plane.

There is an antenna tuner/transmatch feeding that whip that makes most of the magic happen--a Yaesu FC-40:

The first radio is the Yaesu FT-857--a do-it-all radio that does VHF, UHF, and HF. This radio works in concert with the FC-40 on a pushbutton tuning system from the face of the radio, so it is extremely easy to operate while driving. The radio has dual switchable remote heads, one on the side of the galley for the rear operator (on contest days), and its audio is piped to an external speaker near the rear operator's head:

...and one up front in case the driver or front passenger want to play, with audio coming from a speaker between the visors:

The second radio can also be seen above: a Yaesu FTM-400DR VHF/UHF digital capable radio, which also has APRS capability. With this setup we can work VHF contests in the Limited Rover category and we dominate North America--all the while eating and sleeping very well thanks to the Westfalia accommodations. My Truckfridge generates a ton of RF noise, but cold beer is worth it!

I hope this post helps. Ask questions if you need more detail.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

mtnride1 wrote:
I just ordered a gutter antenna mount and using a 3 foot firestick for my CB I am getting also a spring and quick disconnect. I will probably get another gutter mount for my Ham. I have a Yaesu ft60r with a magnet mount antenna that I will probably be selling if you are interested. The gutter mount seemed best for me as I did not want to drill, the mount looks pretty stout.

The above is pretty much what I've had (CB) for a bit. Very happy with it. Quik-release antenna and also the gutter mount. Antenna can be easily folded down when not in use or super high winds.
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

Super helpful all, thank you. Kourt that is one enviable setup! Gnarly, funny you mention the 'tude surrounding 10m operation. I ran across some of it this very weekend!

Fwiw, I think my first step is going to be a gutter mount VHF/UHF antenna either at the B pillar or back in the air scoop. In the future, probably after getting my general license, I'll think about the bumper mount whip for the lower frequencies.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

Old thread, but I wanted to post that we operated most of Europe, Japan, and South America from Texas while rolling 70 MPH down the road with the 102" whip and the Yaesu FT-857 on 15 meters this weekend. 100 watts only. The system works!

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
The system works!
What system, the solar system? Well yeah when the sun is exploding the way we like it!

dit dit K5ZN
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Old thread, but I wanted to post that we operated most of Europe, Japan, and South America from Texas while rolling 70 MPH down the road with the 102" whip and the Yaesu FT-857 on 15 meters this weekend. 100 watts only. The system works!

kourt

Nice! 15M was rockin' over the weekend!!

73 KI7WKZ.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

I’m a silent key now (just to hams Laughing ) but never got the wonderful feeling of my first CQ with a guy in Sweden in the 60s.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

kourt

CQWW SSB was fun, the 10m opening was fantastic. i had planned to operate from a mountain top in the Westy, but engine issues thwarted that plan.

i'm going to get the Buddipole hexbeam, a pushup mast and a flag pole mount that goes under a tire. i'm too busy listening to the engine to operate HF while driving Wink

Abscate wrote:
I’m a silent key now (just to hams Laughing ) but never got the wonderful feeling of my first CQ with a guy in Sweden in the 60s.

SK = dead. you are QRT, inactive.

BiWerks Design, LLC
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

For years we used a drive-on mast base. The effort of lifting and assembling it became tiresome, but it was a great solution.

Now we just use an old hitch mount bike rack and slide a telescoping antenna into it. Key it with a quick release cotter pin and you're golden. Collapsed down it's about 12' high. Fully extended it's about 25' high. This setup is for VHF contests (we were the 2021 June VHF contest Limited Rover national high points winners).

One time we failed to collapse it fully and the topmost antenna (a 2 meter beam) was ripped off by overhead wires. Now we have everything labeled in red. "If you still see red, your beams will be dead."

kourt

GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
For years we used a drive-on mast base. The effort of lifting and assembling it became tiresome, but it was a great solution.

Now we just use an old hitch mount bike rack and slide a telescoping antenna into it. Key it with a quick release cotter pin and you're golden. Collapsed down it's about 12' high. Fully extended it's about 25' high. This setup is for VHF contests (we were the 2021 June VHF contest Limited Rover national high points winners).

One time we failed to collapse it fully and the topmost antenna (a 2 meter beam) was ripped off by overhead wires. Now we have everything labeled in red. "If you still see red, your beams will be dead."

kourt

I love your extra side connector for antennas. Thats a great way to do it!

I've got a 2M/440 rig in my van, but I've only got a 1/4 wave lip-mount on my rear hatch.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

For the first time in my ham "career", I've been on 17. i.e. band conditions have certainly improved; even my MJF 1622 ($15 CAD, needed repair) at 5' or 8' high allows QSO's.

I'm always amazed that one can have a QSO on HF with an operator in a moving object.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

Looks like you're ready to hit the clock tower in 1955 - hopefully the doc get's that cable together in time...and you can actually get up to 88mph Razz

Link
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:

I love your extra side connector for antennas. Thats a great way to do it!

it's a great idea.

when i switch to a Shur-Flo, i will be adding an SO-239 bulkhead to replace the city water connection. on the inside will go a 1:1 current balun to keep that pesky RF from cycling the fridge... the beer MUST stay cold.

BiWerks Design, LLC
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any hams out there? Antenna mount question Reply with quote

I'm using an older version of this product as a current choke:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-mc20-fc

It works pretty well. I don't have any problems with RF affecting the million other electronic things running in the van.

This van has five flip-up utility ports on the side--pressurized water, compressed air, shore power, water tank filler, and antenna pass-thru. The pass-thru dumps into the forward well just aft of the galley--right where i have my antenna switches. The pass thru has been extremely useful for running many feedlines, and even bringing in supplemental solar feeds to the battery when needed for special occasions.

I also insist on cold beer.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: