Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

It finally happened! 33 years after selling my first car, a '72 FI automatic Squareback, I've purchased another square to please my inner child.

I'm super stoked to have one again, brings back all kinds of memories. Purchased from the niece of the original owner, just 30 minutes away from home here in SoCal, though it began its life in Tennessee.

It's somewhat unmolested in that it still has the fuel injection intact, as well as things that typically get upgraded or swapped out, like the original AM radio, steering wheel, etc. It's got Empi 8-spokes, and at least a second re-skin of the seat upholstery, and has been resprayed once back in 1999 (found the receipt from Maaco in the stack of paperwork I grabbed from the seller).

The body is in pretty damn good shape, which makes me happy. But the rust underneath and inside, well, that's a different story. I'm planning on making it safe, replacing all the necessary tin, and leaving the exterior alone as much as possible. But we all know where these projects tend to go Laughing

There is evidence of a few crappy floor pan patch jobs, but they didn't hold up well. The rear window seal was installed with a gap at the top of the window, which expanded to nearly 3 inches wide, allowing all of the Tennessee rain inside the rear of the car. Ouch. Typical rust inside the frunk and pillar areas, but the doors are good, heater channels seem to be in decent shape, etc.

I'll post up a few pics and try to dig deeper into this in the upcoming weeks. Hopefully the wife lets me spend some time with it over the Holidays.

Cheers.

Scotty D

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

While I contemplate what I've just gotten myself into, I decided to tackle the stuck windows and hopefully get the regulators working better.

The driver side window was stuck at about 3/4 of the way shut, and the handle was on the drivers seat, still screwed to the internal gear shaft of the regulator.

I figured the only way to remedy this was drop the glass, remove the regulator, and find a donor to replace it. Of course I'll look into new rubber, scrapers, felt, etc. while I have the door apart.

Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

I've spent several hours already reading previous posts about window regulators and them binding, but can't seem to figure out if it's possible to get the regulator lubed and moving again without removing it and the window glass.

I'm guessing that since the seals/scrapers are just garbage at this point, the only way to get the system properly lubed and working is through removal.

Show me the way if there is a better option, LOL.

The passenger door still had the door card on, and after removing it I found the original moisture barrier intact. Mostly surface rust on the door, but nothing major, the bottom of the door is still solid, phew.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like a great project! You can never beat a green Squareback Laughing
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Looks like a great project! You can never beat a green Squareback Laughing

Indeed! 😃 I see Joann in your avatar pic, looking good my friend.
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Getting ready for family to come in for Thanksgiving, so no real updates yet.
But someone is ready for a ride.

Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

It’ll probably be January before I have any real free time to start tackling the major issues on the pickle. So small items will have to do for now.

Found a window regulator pretty much locally from another member here, and it was shipped and delivered within a few days. It’s the lower one in this pic.

Did a slight rust removal/cleanup, lubed and greased all the contact points, and had it ready to install.

It’s from a great year!

Didn’t photograph the install, but I also cleaned and lubed the chanel on the bottom of the window, and transferred the spring/clip from the old regulator.

After fitting the glass into the window channels, I slid it down and placed the regulator clip into the lower channel before mounting the regulator in its place.

Worked a charm, and the glass goes up and down smooth as butter.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Scotty D wrote:
I've spent several hours already reading previous posts about window regulators and them binding, but can't seem to figure out if it's possible to get the regulator lubed and moving again without removing it and the window glass.

You might want to keep an eye on the black tar board on the inside of the doors, as it likes to come unglued and falls into the track that the clip rides in, causing the window to be stiff rolling up. I've had several fall into the track before, so I'm just giving you a heads up on it. The rest of the door looks good though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for that bit of wisdom. I’m thinking at some point in time I’ll likely remove the tar paper and install some sound deadening material.
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Found a spare minute or two during the holiday madness to remove the tank for cleaning (No sealing - fuel injection no-no). Gave me a better look at the master cylinder. A new in the box cylinder was included with the pickle when I bought it.

Found the soft lines just above the master in terrible shape and leaking, almost as if something or someone cut into them. Thinking I MIGHT just reconnect the original master with fresh soft lines, as well as new soft lines at all four corners, and run some brake fluid through the system to see what’s up.

That’ll probably bite me in the ass, but you never know until you try.

Last edited by Scotty D on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

You might want to see about having Jim Adney rebuild either or both of your Master Cylinders. I know I have him do mine on every project I do, and others here have had him do theirs as well. He advertises in the Samba classifieds him at [email protected]. He has a list of services that he does, including some "work arounds" for the FI system, including an improved fuel tank vent hose system kit that you might want to get.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You might want to see about having Jim Adney rebuild either or both of your Master Cylinders. I know I have him do mine on every project I do, and others here have had him do theirs as well. He advertises in the Samba classifieds him at [email protected]. He has a list of services that he does, including some "work arounds" for the FI system, including an improved fuel tank vent hose system kit that you might want to get.

I'm definitely interested in the fuel tank vent hose system kit, as most of the smaller "flexible" lines in the system are crispy.

Since the car came with an extra new in the box master cylinder, I'll likely install it and give it a go, while the original may just be sent out to be rebuilt. I left the new MC along with the new door cards and carpet kit at my brother's house, I'll take pics of all of that once I've got it all in hand.

Thanks again for the info. Cool
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Masters stored for a long time may have stiff or deformed seals inside. Many suggest putting a new seal kit in even NOS MASTERS.

The smallest flex lines around the tank are typically for the vapor recovery system. But the metal lines leading back to the engine bay are probably internally corroded or clogged, so the system won't function even after you replace the hoses. You may end up reverting to an older style "atmospheric vent" form of evap system. When you contact Jim for a kit, explain this need and maybe send pics of what you have now so he can best advise you.
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Masters stored for a long time may have stiff or deformed seals inside. Many suggest putting a new seal kit in even NOS MASTERS.

The smallest flex lines around the tank are typically for the vapor recovery system. But the metal lines leading back to the engine bay are probably internally corroded or clogged, so the system won't function even after you replace the hoses. You may end up reverting to an older style "atmospheric vent" form of evap system. When you contact Jim for a kit, explain this need and maybe send pics of what you have now so he can best advise you.

Interesting. Well, the new in box Master Cylinder is just that, a newer version, not NOS or original unfortunately. I’ll have my hands on it this weekend hopefully to update the brand/part number info. This car was running a few months ago, but had developed issues and just never got worked on (much) before I bought it. PO mentioned the need for a new fuel pump and master during our initial conversation.

Really just wanting to do a bit of mechanical repairs/updates to get an overall feel for what’s in store for me. Maybe a spin around the block before total disassembly for rust repairs.

I’ll reach out to Jim and provide pictures as you mentioned, I know that will help tremendously with his response.😎
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Your 73 should have the one year only 3.88 gears.
Most are 4.12 & 4.25.
Top end gears/speed similar to my 69 automatic transmission.
Bobnoth has a 3.88 in his notch I believe.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Your 73 should have the one year only 3.88 gears.
Most are 4.12 & 4.25.
Top end gears/speed similar to my 69 automatic transmission.
Bobnotch has a 3.88 in his notch I believe.

Yes I do. Mine came out of a 73 Super Beetle. I love it, and it gets pretty decent fuel economy when I'm caravaning with Jim and others to an Invasion.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

That’s awesome.

My ‘72 automatic did fairly well in the fwy, but that was back when the speed limit was 55😂
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Scotty D wrote:
That’s awesome.

My ‘72 automatic did fairly well in the fwy, but that was back when the speed limit was 55😂

Yeah, I think a lot of vehicles do better at 55. My state has a lot of 70 and 75 mph sections on the freeways, and if you're doing the speed limit you might get ran over (or it'll seem like it). When John J and I would hook up and caravan together we'd run 70-75 without thinking twice about it. There's a "sweet spot" in these cars, and once you find it, you'll like it. I built my own car as a cruiser/road trip car, and that's what I do with it. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

That sounds perfect. Hoping to be able to cruise down to the coast, and drive from Huntington Beach to San Diego occasionally.

Magic Erasers are just that, magic. Quickly cleaned up my sun visors with ease.
I’ll be cleaning up the headliner with them as well since it seems to have survived so well.

Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Cleaned up the headliner. I’m amazed that there are no rips to speak of, just a weird narrow stain across the back a few inches wide that feels like glue.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: