Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electric motor rewinding
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

this is one of those rabbit holes i find myself in....

acquired an old Ebersparcher D2L from a Samba member (thank you!!).. one of the old style, underfloor beheamoths that the Airtronic series replaced. not working, electric motor dead. unobtainium of course. one brush resistor, part of a back EMF braking feature nears i can tell, was burned out. but THAT burned because the armature windings have internal shorts after going thru checking the coil resistance at spots 180 degrees apart on the commutator. THAT was likely caused rusted bearings in the fan housing causing high current draw.

so. i could abandon this project, get an eBay china motor for a different heater and hope things line up, buy a $130 complete clone kit of the Airtop, or drill into this and fix it. never rewound a motor before so why not?

28 gauge magnet wire is on order but the UNwinding has begun. the wires are held to the commutator bars by simple copper tabs that are folded over. they lift up with a sharp knife under them. winding pattern must be kept track of exactly. label everything, write it down, take pictures. we'll see!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Now that's a proper repair. Smile Applause
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Sounds like an insane project that I would take on!

Electricity? Not in my wheelhouse.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher motor rewinding Reply with quote

thing is, beyond a certain diagnostic point, it ain't electricity. it's Arts and Crafts that someone that can macrame a plant hanger might have a better run at it than i.

anyway. a fun throw away of time.

what i REALLY want to come across is an article describing how much more wonderful these old versions were to the new Airtop series. alas, time might have marched forth with improvements.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Oh, my. Shocked

That is cool though.

Take video of the last few unwinds at each winding?

(edit: I zoomed in and better see how the windings are laid out)

"Reassembly is the reverse sequence to removal" Wink

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

I love how some of you guys are crazier than me...

Laughing Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Shocked

having see armatures wound in person once, i think you're crazy

Link

you either have the patients of a saint, or will be a raging alcoholic after this Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

I a past life I worked at an electrics shop as a motor winder's helper.
Taking wires out, counting turns, micrometer measuring wire diameter, building formers to wind new coils on, win ding coils while counting turns, etc, etc.

That meant doing just as you are doing. But you won't have to make formers to wind the coils - just measure the diameter of the wire (without lacquer enamel), and measure the length. Then wind it back into the slots - presumably protected by the paper sleeve inserts.

You're certainly going about in a methodical manner. Congrats.
And, there isn't a motor repair shop around (that I could find) that will rewind a small motor as you have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Popcorn Very Happy
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Thats cool. Reminds me of my glass shop days. When an edger or beveler motor would go down I'd take them to a guy who rewound them for us. He did BIG motors compared to our puny little 5 to 10 hp motors as well. Like for elevators and such.Cooked them in a kiln out back to burn off the varnish. Specialty trade for sure anymore. He sells real-estate now.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

What...you never built a ship model as a kid?
You know the ones where they gave you all the pieces of the motor and you had to build the motor.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
What...you never built a ship model as a kid?
You know the ones where they gave you all the pieces of the motor and you had to build the motor.

oh, yeeeeaaaah. forgot about those. never got mine to work <Gulp>!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Impressive that you are willing to take this on versus buying something else. This is what more people in the world need to do to reduce the consumption and "throw away" society.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Oh, my. Shocked

That is cool though.

"Reassembly is the reverse sequence to removal" Wink

i kinda freaked out about that too... but it's very sequential and my chart helps. i'll photo/video the very last few turns because getting it started correctly will be the entire key. what's interesting is that it is one continuous piece of wire but electrically 7 different coils as it makes electrical contact thru the commutator bars. other motors spot weld the copper onto the commutator, fortunately this is just tabbed.

i can't believe the minds that came up with this stuff... brilliant people out there thru the times.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

.... what's interesting is that it is one continuous piece of wire but electrically 7 different coils as it makes electrical contact thru the commutator bars. other motors spot weld the copper onto the commutator, fortunately this is just tabbed.

i can't believe the minds that came up with this stuff... brilliant people out there thru the times.

It is pretty amazing really. But much like something like assembler or machine language at low (lowest?) levels of computer parts, motor windings aren't something younger generations think about, much, I'd guess. (not that I know anything about that computer stuff but a friend, who is really quite brilliant, told me about it back in 1981)

Yeah the "lay of the land" in how each coil sits over the other was what I was seeing as a potential problem spot(s) in re assembly.

Oh I see now. One piece of wire that hooks around each tab. Neat! Very clever.

So the wire is enamel coated?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

well... a success! the motor Chooches! wound it with 28 ga. Polyamideimide-Coated Copper Magnet Wire from Remington Industries. it was slightly thicker than the OEM, which was probably 29ga and a thinner insulation. filled the armature valleys up pretty good, realized i should have been winding a bit tighter after the 3rd winding but i made it. but the motor spins, has low current draw, starts up at low voltage. everything says success so far!

waiting for the winding varnish to dry now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Friggin Awesome! Some things have their own value. I'm currently hand lapping the valves on another vehicle with lapping compound from 1909 in an antique and very cool metal container. Coulda used new stuff but I like tradition and doing things like you clearly do as well - the old fashioned way. A nod in your direction, sir!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Skookum! Let us know how it keeps up!

Edit: friggin autocorrect!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

This is rad!

I considered doing similar for the rear wiper motor but I never had to bc I have spares...
Out of curiosity, how long was all the windings? How long did it take to wind up?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: