Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electric motor rewinding
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how long was all the windings? How long did it take to wind up?

i would guess about 175-200' based on the length of one winding i stretched out. i bought a 0.5lb spool which is 994'. the winding process took less than 2 hours. i set up the spool on a tight fitting deep socket with a bit of tape on the socket for extra tension, put it on the ratchet and put a chunk of iron on the ratchet handle to hold it firm. then wrap/count/wrap, saying the number of turns out loud. i'm probably +-1. i rotated the motor radially while pulling wire off the spool face so as to not introduce any twists.

if i did another exact same motor, i'd use 29ga instead of 28ga wire, with the Polyamideimide coating.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
Impressive that you are willing to take this on versus buying something else. This is what more people in the world need to do to reduce the consumption and "throw away" society.
nate

+1000

We need to pay more for these skills and less to tossers who will “ manage your portfolio” to underperform the SP500
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

Dan, Pour yourself a beer! Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: electric motor rewinding Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Dan, Pour yourself a beer! Applause

alcohol might've been involved! i often have the scanner on while in the garage but i needed it dead silent while doing this. keeping track of the turns messed with my head, sometimes wondering if i went "28.. 29.. 40".

gave me an appreciation for people that can spend hundreds of hours doing needlepoint or something. i don't think i would have been very good at threading the rope memory used to build the computers for the Saturn rocket flights.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: