Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inner fender repair
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

Im looking for the replacement panel for the top of the inner fender of a super beetle, it looks like its goes towards the front cowl. I have the strut cover and bottom inner fender
Thanks
Warren [/list]
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/volkswagen/super-beetle/

and https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=super+beetle+front+quarter+panel

The correct term is Front Wheel Housing but I can only find it with a search of Front Quarter Panel.
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

Thank you for the helpful response. I have the lower portion but need the piece from the shock tower to the firewall area. I dont see that piece unless its a full quarter which is no where to be found. Looks like I'll have to make a panel.
Warren
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

Supposedly it's not that hard to get body pieces from vw specialty salvage yards.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/cat.php?id=12

If you want to try making the piece, I use document bags sold at Homedepot and fill them with sand/shot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-Document-O...lsrc=aw.ds

They are cheap and very durable. Harbor Freight sells a Nylon Mallet for $9. This way you can create some crown.

Last edited by infiniteLoop on Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I will give these places a shot as well as pick up the stuff you mentioned.
Warren
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

If the car is so badly corroded it needs upwards of 3 large repair panels on that front quarter, you might be better off replacing the whole quarter. It will certainly look better, last longer and be stronger
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

This is a picture of a super with a front wheel housing removed. Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1270100.jpg
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

Haven't had any luck on a full quarter for a 73 super. Was the quarter edge to the lower a pillar pinch weld or spot?
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

I believe it's a pinch weld. There is a special tool for this. The cowl is brazed on to the wheel housing. 71-77 is the same except for the bumper mounts I think.
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

wardyl36 wrote:
Haven't had any luck on a full quarter for a 73 super. Was the quarter edge to the lower a pillar pinch weld or spot?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21%2D0879%2D9
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

thanks for the website, I should have added all the places have been out of stock on them. I will try to remove the quarter complete to see what's going on behind. Is the spare tire holder also spot welded to the quarter?
thanks
Warren
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

Yes the tire well is welded to the wheel housing.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

I would not try removing the wheel housing to evaluate what is behind. If it's got filler ,use a heat gun to soften it up and scrape it off.

The picture of the super with the housing removed shows every thing except where it connects to the firewall. There are 4 bolts that go through the Napoleons Hat (through the floor pan),and connect to a brace that's inside the firewall. The housing has a weld connected to it where as there is a slit there ,and they weld the housing to the brace. It seems to me that it's just to keep it from oil canning over bumps or something because the housing is 22 gauge and hence has no strength there.
If you look inside the wheel housing from the outside , you will see a weld that is about 2" long horizontally inline with the firewall.
The little subframe along the side of the housing has a thicker L bracket that mounts to the firewall.

Edit: add link;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423999&postorder=desc
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Inner fender repair Reply with quote

I have body and chassis removed and have already have worked on the chassis, have the firewall removed and ready to put replacement in. I'll see how it looks tomorrow when I get into it more.
Thanks for the help
Warren
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: