Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

From coast to coast.....their beans, grind, espresso machines and coffee making style are very consistent from shop to shop. It tatstes the same in Reno Nevada as it does in Oklahoma City.

And that is one of their strengths.

raygreenwood wrote:

2. I think their "brewed" coffee sucks. This is not because the coffee beans themselves suck....but because....factually....S-bucks uses 3X (they used to use 4-5X) what is normally required per cup. I have no idea why. Its their trademark.

I like strong coffee, so I like that I can always count on a good cup.

Xevin wrote:
I give credit to Starbucks for raising the bar on the American coffee industry.

Also true.

At home I go to all local shops. Ann Arbor has many. Unfortunately one longtime local 3-store chain closed down last year.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

I buy some basic, locally roasted coffee (dark or french roast) and run it through my little machine at home. Then I add one scoop of hot chocolate mix, and a splash of 1/2 and 1/2. Done. I call it a jailhouse mocha, and I do the same thing at gas stations or wherever I wake up and need a cup. Occasionally it gets a splash of Bailey's Irish Creme. Depends on what that day's plans entail.

I like the more expensive coffee, and will treat myself once a month or so to a nice big mocha at one of our local coffee places. But when the price pushes six bucks, I keep it to once a month at best.

Sbux is OK, but I have only had a few cups in my life. McD's is pretty good honestly. I generally avoid large corporate businesses as a matter of course, not just coffee.

Never had a sip of coffee until I turned 42. Always liked the smell, but never drank caffeine. I quit caffeine at 19 (a sixer of Mountain Dew a day habit) and stayed away from it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I buy some basic, locally roasted coffee (dark or french roast) and run it through my little machine at home. Then I add one scoop of hot chocolate mix, and a splash of 1/2 and 1/2. Done. I call it a jailhouse mocha, and I do the same thing at gas stations or wherever I wake up and need a cup. Occasionally it gets a splash of Bailey's Irish Creme. Depends on what that day's plans entail.

I like the more expensive coffee, and will treat myself once a month or so to a nice big mocha at one of our local coffee places. But when the price pushes six bucks, I keep it to once a month at best.

Sbux is OK, but I have only had a few cups in my life. McD's is pretty good honestly. I generally avoid large corporate businesses as a matter of course, not just coffee.

Never had a sip of coffee until I turned 42. Always liked the smell, but never drank caffeine. I quit caffeine at 19 (a sixer of Mountain Dew a day habit) and stayed away from it.

Yes....interestingly......in MANY blind taste tests.....McDonalds coffee actually rates pretty highly among basic "industrial" coffee...or has over the years.

McDonald's went on an active quest .....maybe 13 years ago to improve their coffee. The did analyisis on how much they actually sell and shat they thought they could produce it for. There is a ton of money in it. It was a good gamble.

I got to see some of what they were working on about 10 years after the great 1992 "coffee burn" lawsuit. They were in the process of of improving all of their containers for more and more drive through service......and they started seeing higher demand cor higjer quality coffee in their off continent markets.

In 2006/2007 I was running the process in a container injection on molding and printing plant in Dallas. 300k insulated containers per week. Every major gas station chain, coffee chain and even some Starbucks and 100% of Tim Hortons cups.

McDonalds showed up with about a dozen complex insulated designs.....all being debuted in off-shore markets. We were thinking...."McDonalds coffee?.....meh.....". These aers expensive refillable/reusable insulated cups.

The regional guy showed up for our first pack out with a taste testing of the coffees they were moving into selling. Being one of two primary insulated coffee cup producers in the US serving every basic coffee and gas station chain......we were coffee heads!

We were actually impressed. Yes.....its not boutique roaster coffee....and its not Starbucks.....but certainly beat the ass of Dunkin at that point in time....and virtually any of the industrial plastic jug Folgers or Maxwell house they were pouring in the average Quick Trip or Caseys or other big gas station chains.

7-11 was already way out in front with a huge range of "passable" coffees at that time.

Reasonably good coffee ....called "RTD".....ready to drink.....has become a HUGE business. It was worth $22.4 BILLION in 2019. It was about half of that in the early to mid 2000's....growing fast....and McDonalds saw that back then (others too).

Here are the coffee chain ratings for RTD coffee from last year.

https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2019/09/27/gasbuddy-top-rated-gas-station-coffees/

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2019/09/27/gasbuddy-top-rated-gas-station-coffees/

I'm not a big coffee drinker or any sort of aficionado but I see QuickTrip (QT) is the best in Arizona and a few other states.
Their stuff does seem pretty good.
We get it on road trips.

Of course I like a lot of the Starbucks stuff too so maybe I have no taste Cool
If it's sugary stuff (Mocha) we always get "one pump," otherwise it's crazy sugary
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

I'm not a big coffee drinker or any sort of aficionado but I see QuickTrip (QT) is the best in Arizona and a few other states.
We get it on road trips.

If it's sugary stuff (Mocha) we always get "one pump," otherwise it's crazy sugary

AS I noted...I'm pure coffee flavor with only a little half and half. N sugar or fruity stuff for me!

My barista buddies tell me that the average single flavor pump at S-bucks...is about 45 calories. Their on-line stats say ...20 calories per pump.... Laughing ...make of that what you will!

But I have watched drinks going through the line with 6 pumps of this....plus mocha...plus cream...plus this...plus that....plus whipped cream. One of the baristas calculated one "vente" or large monstrosity ike that ...at about 600 calories.....and it was about $6.

I'm surprised the drive through is single lane....with as fat as we are getting... Laughing
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

Regular coffee sucks. I do like espresso though. I have a cheap-o Mr. Coffee espresso "machine" that I like.

It makes a better espresso than Starbucks by a mile and a lanyard.

Only problem is the bulk market I would grind beans at have removed their grinders due to Covid. Evil or Very Mad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

Quote:
got to see some of what they were working on about 10 years after the great 1992 "coffee burn" lawsuit

Like most, when I heard of this, I rolled my eyes and beat the drum of tort reform ( still needed)

If you read this case, it’s a brilliant piece of advocacy that will change your mind , if it’s open to change.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

We get it on road trips.

I roast my own... I'll send you some so you have a basedline for good coffee.

http://simplepete.com/about/about-simple-pete-coffee/
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

My espresso machine cost more than half the cars I've owned.
That's not a boast — it just illustrates how much I love coffee!
I'm not a snob and I don't refer to myself as a barista but after three years with high quality gear and ingredients, and really paying attention to my technique, I now enjoy the espresso drinks I make at home far more than the premium drinks in the local specialty cafés.
Next step...roast my own!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

I like coffee. I have a nice espresso machine but honestly it's a mess and when I start working I just want an easy cup of coffee. we have a flavia machine in the office and it's ok. Since working from home in march I just use my keurig.

If I'm out and about starbux is convenient, and like ray said it's pretty uniform wherever you are. Iced venti americano 2 pumps classic splash of almond milk
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

A bit off topic.

I find the evolution of food and drink in the USA interesting. In the 80s and earlier, America wasn’t known for great coffee, beer, and restaurants. Boy has that changed. I remember being in France 1990 and having some of the best bread ever. 20 years later in France with Xatie and disappointed with the bread. Going to Germany during the same time. Had some outstanding beers. Later on being disappointed in variety of beers available from town to town. Still delicious beer.

Starbucks- Lead to better coffee.

Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam- Helped Micro brews flourish and became a gateway to more interesting beers being produced. A lot of German brewers visit Portland for new techniques and flavor profile.

Cooking Channel- Made cooking hip. Helped raise the bar of the American culinary scene. Some kids now Idolize chefs like many of us did athletes back in the day.

Side note. I don’t know the answer to this. Take the same chef from a country or
region and have them cook the same dish from their homeland and cook it in the USA. Why is Thai food better in Thailand, New York pizza better in New York and pasta better in Italy? I’m talking about same chef and same recipe but ingredients grown in two different parts of the world.

It has to be the water and soil right?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

I have always felt that Starbux coffee tastes burnt. And yes, I take it black.
Locally we like Pete's if we want a "high end" cup of coffee. Or better yet the 5 local non-chain coffee places. When on the road and/or in a hurry Mickey Ds makes an excellent cup of coffee for not much money.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

Kirkland (Costco brand) is the best!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I have always felt that Starbux coffee tastes burnt. And yes, I take it black.
Locally we like Pete's if we want a "high end" cup of coffee. Or better yet the 5 local non-chain coffee places. When on the road and/or in a hurry Mickey Ds makes an excellent cup of coffee for not much money.

I mentioned this early on and it’s not by accident it’s by design because the roasted beans last longer. I got this directly from a man that traveled the world to study coffee then opened his own shop only to be bought out by a large chain. He signed a none compete clause and got some money.😀
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Coffee Maker Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Great place to go if you want to pay five bucks for a bad cup of coffee.

agreed. it's like that money shit coffee where the monkey eats the beans then shits them out before you brew them, only they forget to wipe the shit off before brewing

i'd rather drink the cloudy piss out of a bums gatorade bottle

It's actually kopi luwak from a civet cat

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Coffee Maker Reply with quote

empi3 wrote:
mukluk wrote:

Great place to go if you want to pay five bucks for a bad cup of coffee.

agreed. it's like that money shit coffee where the monkey eats the beans then shits them out before you brew them, only they forget to wipe the shit off before brewing

i'd rather drink the cloudy piss out of a bums gatorade bottle

It's actually kopi luwak from a civet cat

Steven

And you know this because????????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

I’m a bum who gets my Gatorade from the dumpster in the back of Olive Garden
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

Starbucks tastes as if it is filtered through a dirty diaper as far as I'm concerned. I don't drink much coffee (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 cups) per day maybe 3 or 4 times a week, but it has to be GOOD. I also love tea. For me, I have a KitchenAid burr grinder and a KitchenAid pour over automatic brewer (because I'm too lazy/tired in the am to bother with a manual). I get my whole beans from a little coffee plantation on the Big Island (Koa Coffee). I only use distilled water for my coffee or tea because I want to taste the flavor of the coffee or tea without the minerals and I use non-bleached filters. I store my distilled water in my Birkey. I sweeten with either raw sugar or orange blossom honey (for tea) from a local source if/when I sweeten. If I want cream, it's organic 1/2 n 1/2.

Interestingly, on a per cup basis, I'm still saving over the cost of the Starbucks swill, or at least breaking even. And the difference is beyond comparison!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

To add to my above comment, I once stopped at an In N Out Burger in Novato on my way north and got a cup of coffee. I think it was only $.50 or so. It was around 1998. For some reason that still stands out as a REALLY good cup of coffee!! By contrast, I was staying at the Ritz Carlton in Naples several years ago for a conference and my morning coffee (Illy, which is a really good brand) tasted and smelled like burnt popcorn. Being about $25 for the pot, I sent it back and the second batch was the same. Somehow, In N Out has figured out how to make FAR better coffee than the Ritz Carlton Naples AND sell it for a fraction of the price Laughing

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Starbucks sucks / Coffee snob thread Reply with quote

stardbucks taste like poop to me, smells like it too. it's for sure not fresh. for me it's about like a shiney painted junk 010 dist that dont work. but for some it's the bees knees and they just have to have it. remember there are some things that just cant be fixed Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: