Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

oh and my P/C are forged are 90.5 cima/mahle and a set of AAs
rocker shafts are restored stock with swivel adjusters.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
If you still need to buy heads look at Performance Workshop- Steve and Greg Tims Superstock heads- 37x32 valves, finished in house by them. They also offer a ported version.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069091/

https://www.performanceworkshop.net/cylinder-heads

I have a set on my 1776, very nice work. Great value.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WOW 245.00 each that is great value I have been reading about the 37.5 heads I can do the machining for deck and bore for 90.5 (Iam the only guy in Alaska doing it) but I would just have them do it.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Here is my combination that I am putting together over the winter for a 1970 Westy:

-74mm by 92mm thick wall
-Eagle 2232 cam
-37x32 heads
-1.1 exhaust rockers, 1.25 intake
-Ported end castings and modified center section
-34-3 carb with 37mm throttle body and 30mm venturi
-8.3 compression
-1-3/8" header with functional pre-heat
-Gutted air cleaner with shortened snorkel
-Solex SVDA with Winterburn CDI ignition

I am hopeful of achieving around 100 hp and 140 pounds of torque. Wherever the numbers fall, it should make for a nice bus engine.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Hello all,

For those working on getting ported vacuum back after boring the carb body to 37, short of changing to programmable ignition, could one place an EGR solenoid inline between manifold vacuum and the vacuum canister, then control the EGR solenoid with a well-adjusted closed throttle microswitch?

Set it to apply vacuum just as the throttle leaves the closed position and close off vacuum as the throttle returns to fully closed and you should get a similar effect to having ported vacuum at the carb. Make sure you get the solenoid hoses routed correctly and it will vent the canister to atmosphere when not applying vacuum, allowing the timing plate to return to its nominal position.

I'm planning out something similar with my dual carb setup and I think I have ~ $25 total in a bag of 10 microswitches, a bag of 100 tiny screws to mount the switch, and a generic EGR solenoid. The only things you 'd need to create are a bracket to hold the CTP switch, perhaps another to mount the solenoid, and a wiring harness to control the solenoid.

Rob
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Here is my combination that I am putting together over the winter for a 1970 Westy:

-74mm by 92mm thick wall
-Eagle 2232 cam
-37x32 heads
-1.1 exhaust rockers, 1.25 intake
-Ported end castings and modified center section
-34-3 carb with 37mm throttle body and 30mm venturi
-8.3 compression
-1-3/8" header with functional pre-heat
-Gutted air cleaner with shortened snorkel
-Solex SVDA with Winterburn CDI ignition

I am hopeful of achieving around 100 hp and 140 pounds of torque. Wherever the numbers fall, it should make for a nice bus engine.

Chris

You wohnt get 140 pounds of torque, but something like 125 pounds, 130 on a good day.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Alstrup,

I think my mis-translation from European specs to North American is to blame!

Chris

As for the ported vacuum on a bored out throttle bore on a 34-3, I believe that you can plug the existing port and if you are careful, re-drill it in a slightly different spot. The issue is that when you widen the bore it moves the location of the hole slightly so it no longer sits in the right spot in relation to the throttle plate. If you pull out the plug in the back of the carb and are careful, it could be re-drilled.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: