Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

I just dropped an original Solex 34-3 off at the machine shop to have the bore opened up to 37mm this morning! It sounds like I have to look for another way to get vacuum for light throttle cruising from somewhere else? Or, if it is not proprietory information, what mods would be done?

For the compression ratio, I don't mind raising it a bit, in fact it makes my head work easier, but I will probably be stuck with 87 octane in some places in North America. What is a reasonable compression to use?

I can probably tweak the thermostat for the air cleaner a bit. I had planned to use a meat thermometer in one of the holes in the air cleaner housing to check it's temperature. I am thinking that the more heat, within reason, that the pre-heat adds here the less of a load there is on the manifold heat crossover.

Thanks!

Chris

PS: It just occured to me that if I hooked it up to manifold vacuum and left it at the full 23-25 degrees mechanical advance, it might work. If I timed it to 5 BTDC and then had the vacuum advance limited to around 6 degrees, it would idle at 11 BTDC or so, wouldn't it? It would also advance at a steady cruise but fall away during hard acceleration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Too much hot air will decrease mileage and power, most factory systems maintain it ~85-90f, any hotter than that and you might boil the carb on a warm day. The later 72-73 Ghia and Euro bus aircleaner uses a vacuum operated hot air valve with a bimetal thermostat valve, it has the bonus feature of leaning the idle slightly on a hot day as well as shutting off the hot air under heavy loads (vacuum drops).

Since this is more brainstorming than must do stuff I wonder if you could solder a lump on the edge of the throttle butterfly to block the advance drilling at idle on the modified throttle bore? Or does the hole just get so big from the bore enlargement it's nowhere near the edge of the plate now?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
I just dropped an original Solex 34-3 off at the machine shop to have the bore opened up to 37mm this morning! It sounds like I have to look for another way to get vacuum for light throttle cruising from somewhere else? Or, if it is not proprietory information, what mods would be done? O
OK. Then you should go 123 usb or bluetooth for simplicity. - And yes, I know what I have said about those, but in such cases they work ok
For the compression ratio, I don't mind raising it a bit, in fact it makes my head work easier, but I will probably be stuck with 87 octane in some places in North America. What is a reasonable compression to use?
Ahh, well, for 87 octane you probably want to aim for 8,7.
I can probably tweak the thermostat for the air cleaner a bit. I had planned to use a meat thermometer in one of the holes in the air cleaner housing to check it's temperature. I am thinking that the more heat, within reason, that the pre-heat adds here the less of a load there is on the manifold heat crossover.
Yes, good idea. I have actually never tried that. When I have finetuned the intake temps I simply took an IR reading of the carb body until it was where I wanted it.

Thanks!

Chris

PS: It just occured to me that if I hooked it up to manifold vacuum and left it at the full 23-25 degrees mechanical advance, it might work. If I timed it to 5 BTDC and then had the vacuum advance limited to around 6 degrees, it would idle at 11 BTDC or so, wouldn't it? It would also advance at a steady cruise but fall away during hard acceleration.
Yes, that would work, but then you will have to go 32 degrees max mechanical to get enough advance on cruise. If you want to try that route there is no problem in going 14 degrees at idle. The downside is that if you have that low mechanical timing you may very well, and most likely experience the dreaded off idle stumble. Also, it can be a challenge to get the advance right up though the rpm. But nothing is impossible with some effort and a lot of time Smile

ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Maybe I should quickly call my machine shop and stop them from boring out my 34-3! I could get one of the aftermarket 37mm carbs and then use the venturi that they are boring out for me in that.

The manifold vacuum idea might work, I could always limit the vac advance to 8 or 10 or whatever. That would give 5 + 10= 15 BTDC at idle, 28 at WOT and 38 at cruise. I could put lighter springs in the advance so it would come in at 2800-3000 instead of 3500 or so.

As for the off idle flat spot, I thought that went away to some extent as the engine displacement goes up?

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
One thought I had recently was that for extreme cold start ups. . .

It's a bit out of the box, but something I have found that really helps fuel atomization in cold (or any other type of) weather is golf-ball dimples on the insides of the intake runners. The little cyclones of turbulent air in the dimples whip any large drops of fuel that fall out of suspension back into tiny drops, preventing liquid fuel from puddling up on the surface of the cold metal. The only downside I have noticed, if you can call it a downside, is that it makes tuning the carburetor(s) a bit more difficult, since the engine seems to run well regardless of how far from ideal the air/fuel ratio is.

If you have a Dremel and a small cutter-ball bit, it's a simple (and very time consuming) procedure, and once it's done, you never have to worry about it again.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

A rough texture does the same. Dimpling becomes interesing if you have a fully polished racing intake side and realize that you have condensation issues. Then carefull dimpling can improve flow everso slightly along with a little improved atomization. The dimpling thing comes up once every 15 years or so. BMW has worked with it since the 2002 Ti back in the 70´s. (I believe they were some of the first, but I may be wrong on that) Lately some Honda tuners have picked it up again with crazy flow claims. They are full of it, because every single test I have seen are not back to back tests. Something else have always also been changed and then the test is not worth the paper it is written on. The advantage is that when you have a high rpm engine N/A or boosted that requires A LOT of fuel, you get a better atomization as Floating have noticed. The flow improvement is minor.

Crox, if you are not affraid of the 123 dizzy I would continue with what you are doing.
You can always begin with the SVDA. Then if you can´t make it work right you can upgrade to a programmable.

Last edited by Alstrup on Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

I am not sure what a 123 Dissy is, but for the moment I would prefer to avoid a complete electronic or crank triggered system. I am game to tackle the Bosch unit, it is not my first time modifying a distributor and I even have access to a machine to test it if need be.

Thanks!

Chris
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

I do not think any electronic ignition system could match good old points for extreme cold weather starts. The down fall of the electronics are that they have a magnetic sensor to trigger a spark and that takes a minimum velocity to make a signal to trigger a spark. Good old points are not speed dependant and will make a spark even when you are rotating the engine by hand to set the valve lash. Ask me how I know!

At -30 and lower the challenge is to get the starter to rotate the engine AT ALL never mind fast enough to trigger a magnetic pickup coil. Nope! Stay away from any ignition system that does not use points for this cold weather application.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

You may have a point there. On the other hand, if it is that much of a problem to turn the engine (I have never started an engine at lower than -32 degrees C.) why not install a more powerfull starter then (?) I mean, if I have to replace a starter today, especially on an engine larger than say 1900 cc. I go "modern" and use slightly modified starters from VW/Skoda diesel engines. They are typical 1,6 KW and turn the engines approx 600 rpm/m. They´ll start any ACVW gasoline engine, also at -45F. Just make sure that you have at least a gauge 00 from the battery to the starter.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I do not think any electronic ignition system could match good old points for extreme cold weather starts.

no Razz

points/hall/or optical + electronic ignition OR CDI, and it starts WAY better hot or cold.
VR sensors may not trigger right at very LOW rpm,
but not all electronic systems use a VR trigger.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Points can work quite well, BUT they MUST be maintained in top condition. They do have the advantage of being able to fire at any voltage and rpms. Yes, you can run more power through an electronic set up, which does help starting. The problem that I ran into was that the quality of the commercially available electronic sets has nose dived in recent times and I have that 110% reliability requirement. Add in the fact that many don't trigger at low rpms or low voltage and you can see the problems in my circumstances. The only thing that filled the billl, and probably quite well, is the Winterburn CDI set up that I will be using.

Chris

PS: Interesting on the starter, Alstrup, I may look into that.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Yes I think the materials and textures and maybe different shapes could improve the performance, tho.... I've given up being interested in changing the relative sizes .... to the point that I think I will take the advice of those who came before me and.... just LEAVE it be.
It is an evolutionary dead end and leave it alone.

But what IS it?
Some people have the idea that the single port is the dead end, only suitable for basic utility....... and the dual port as being the MORE powerful engine with greater potential.......
actually it may be the Opposite IF restricted to a single carb.

The development of the SP intake manifold NOT dead ended, and IMo a lot of people who for whatever reason NEED to use a one barrel carburetor on a flat four vw.... would be BETTER off to put that on the single port engine.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Points can work quite well, BUT they MUST be maintained in top condition.

Nope, just greased them once and filed them once, in 10 years service.
points and TFI module is head to head with winterburn IMO.
BOTH very good systems.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

But far as the distributor vac port.....if it need to be re-located then you can re-locate it. There is no reason it would work different.
If you make all the parts of the system some % bigger, it will work virtually the same except bigger.

The venturi size should be 75-86% of the carb bore, to work best.
So with 34mm carb bore then a 29mm venturi would be on the upper limit. That is the "short answer" to your actual question.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
EVfun wrote:
Perhaps this would help with starting. I doubt it would provide enough heat to really help when driving, but if it was on for a little bit before starting it might add enough heat to help out until the heat riser and warm air for the carb kick in. Once running I don't think you will have any problems if you can keep the intake air at 60F and have a working heat riser.

I'd trust that over a glow plug in the manifold. The plug works on diesels because there's no fuel in the manifold, it's just warming air. Later BN-2 gas heaters don't have spark ignition, the glow plug alone is enough to light the fire, it might turn the manifold into a combustion chamber.

I wonder how much heat those wraps can stand?, if you do the preheat pipe relocation mod on the header the manifold gets hot enough it may melt the wrap on a summer day.
.................................................................................................................i thought the same thing about the glow plug in the intake manifold . waiting to go off like a fire bomb in the intake manifold lol lol lol
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Glow plugs are made to glow...... that's hot, probably too hot.
Maybe run two or three in series maybe they could work as a heater and not glow.

Glow plugs are not really the right thing for the job, but they ARE potentially cheap and easy to fit, it might be better than trying to make the correct part.
When I was rebuilding detroits I threw them away by the hundreds, shame about that. Most of them probably still worked.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Glow plugs are made to glow...... that's hot, probably too hot.
Maybe run two or three in series maybe they could work as a heater and not glow.

Preliminary results of glow plug testing.

14 volts from my battery charger on the TDI glow plug - draws 5.6 amps and is orange hot in about 4 seconds! Wow! Yup , spray gas on that puppy and we got serious action I'm thinking.

Switch to the 6 volt setting and we have 9.5 volts, 3.8 amps and after about 12 seconds it starts to glow a dull red and doesn't get much brighter. Quenches quickly in a -14* snow bank and is slow to come back to dull red.

Looks like Modoc is right on the money, 2 or 3 in series is the ticket. If the color is kept below a dull red I don't think intake fires will be an issue. The auto ignition temperature of gasoline is 495*F so we need to stay below that.

The next experiment to satisfy my curiosity is to put it in a cup of water and see what the temperature does and how fast. Maybe two in the manifold and one in the float bowl all wired in series?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
You may have a point there. On the other hand, if it is that much of a problem to turn the engine (I have never started an engine at lower than -32 degrees C.) why not install a more powerfull starter then (?) I mean, if I have to replace a starter today, especially on an engine larger than say 1900 cc. I go "modern" and use slightly modified starters from VW/Skoda diesel engines. They are typical 1,6 KW and turn the engines approx 600 rpm/m. They´ll start any ACVW gasoline engine, also at -45F. Just make sure that you have at least a gauge 00 from the battery to the starter.

One of the big disappointments after driving air cooled VWs and buying a NEW Rabbit was that as soon as the temperature got below freezing the stupid thing just would not turn over and start. I put up with that for 1 winter then swapped in a diesel starter. End of problem! I started it without the block heater plugged in right down to -40* after that.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

Some are just better than others.
My starter came OUT of a rabbit, probably a 90's rabbit tho, it was a red convertible I don't remember the year. And it's quite a bit better than what came on a 1970vw for sure. Survives being kicked backward, while from what I've heard some of the gear reduction starters don't like that.
one of the DOWNsides of a powerful ignition system that works down to 0 rpm..... is it will try to start backwards now and then, if the timing is advanced much beyond 10 degrees. Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Benefits of a PICT 34-3 with 37mm throttle body? Reply with quote

My comments on electronic ignition not starting as well is purely from personal experiance. My '66 Beetle with it's 6 volt system was very temperature sensitive as far as the starter being able to turn the engine over. BUT! If it would make it over one or two compressions it would start every time! Stock ignition in good shape is the key! '69 Bus with the typical wiring/ignition switch deterioration would not always make contact to spin the starter so - I get out, wife puts it in gear and I lean on it, 3 feet travelled, one or two compressions and it was running every time! Stock ignition in good condition.

I now have a type 4 engine in a Buggy with crank trigger. If the battery is low - still cranking fine but noticeably slower than normal it WILL NOT START!! Period!
I have cranked it for several minutes at a time and several times but if it does not see a minimum cranking speed it will not fire! I am not used to that with air cooled VWs.

On to another hobby of mine, model airplanes, for a number of years the gasoline 2 strokes we used were magneto ignition with points and these engines hand started like a dream. In fact when working around and on them you must remove the plug wire from the spark plug because they could and did at times fire with an accidental prop bump. Enter the weight saving electronic ignition. These engines no longer can be dependably hand started. I have tried on numerous occasions and watch others try sometimes for 1/2 an hour at a time to get them to prop start and they very seldom will but a touch of a starter and they are off every time. It takes speed to get a hall effects system to work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: