Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Different key fob question...
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Different key fob question... Reply with quote

So, my daughter has a 98 cabrio, we've never had a key fob for it, so thinking i was being a good dad, ordered her one for Christmas. My problem is i can't figure out the deal with her car. I've been all over the web for days, been thru every forum on vwvortex, but i can't figure out what i need to do. Every set of directions are the same, but that's not my problem, for some reason her car won't respond to the directions, they say key in ignition, key in door, i get all that, they say turn door key to the left and hold for 10 seconds, and horn should beep, but this car won't beep. I've tried all different steps, different combinations, and can't get it to beep. Last thing i want to do is pay someone to deal with this, and the reason I'm posting here is i prefer to check here first. I'll hit vwvortex if i don't get my answers here, i just dont really like that site much. Thanks for your time and sorry if this is rambling.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Different key fob question... Reply with quote

The key you put into ignition needs to be an already programmed key fob. Sounds like you are using the valet key. Take it to vw, think its $50 to program the new key.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Different key fob question... Reply with quote

Thats good info, i have 2 keys, but neither are a fob, guess i gotta call the dealer. Thank you.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Different key fob question... Reply with quote

when they program a new key they change the code ...so you need to bring both your existing keys with you to the dealer or the one you leave home will no longer work when they reprogram the new one...i believe there are some locksmiths that can do this (i have one who claims he can but i've never tried to use him) that may be cheaper than the dealer
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Different key fob question... Reply with quote

We don't have any special keys, they look like normal keys, do these have chips in them?
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Different key fob question... Reply with quote

sorry...you said 98 cabrio and my mind said new beetle covertible...if yours is the mk 3 body it may not have a chip...but i believe you still have to get the dealer involved otherwise anyone could order a key online , disable your alarm and take the car....i love vortex...people who have absolutely no clue give answers, none of them fix the problem, the guy gives up and takes it to the dealer, and then never posts what the dealer did to fix it...or bitches that the dealer couldnt fix it either
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: