Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Couple questions about a DJ tune-up
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

Hello all. Some questions for you Doka owners. I have an '89 Syncro Doka that I purchased a month or so ago. Imported some years ago from Germany. It has always run like crap- missing, no power, general poor performance. Working thru the list of things to do and have new fuel lines, new filter, working on cleaning the grounds.

Like the fool I am at times I ordered a GoWesty tuneup kit that, of course, included few things I can use. I've read about the DJ engines but have more questions than answers. Would like to do the plugs, wires, rotor.

First. how to verify it's a DJ engine? If so I have the plugs needed from another post but the rotor seems different that what is there. Mine is a little loose on the shaft and is a Beru EVL 085 cz which is, oddly enough, not easily obtained in the States. The wires on it KW 216.
So I need to verify the engine type and then see if the ignition parts are correct, or even if there is somewhere in the US that I can order parts? Really don't want to throw parts at it but it seems like it was not maintained well so these things need replaced.

I will still continue working on the list of things to check like fuel pressure, pump, all of it. A little overwhelmed right about now since I haven't been able to get the simple things like a tuneup completed.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

Take a look at the black plastic oil breather tower.
It mounts to the engine block on a square base. At the rear side of the base facing the fanbelts there should be the engine serial number.
The letters "DJ" should be part of the serial number.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Take a look at the black plastic oil breather tower.
It mounts to the engine block on a square base. At the rear side of the base facing the fanbelts there should be the engine serial number.
The letters "DJ" should be part of the serial number.

Okay, will have a look, thanks for the help.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

It will be here.
This one is a rebuilt engine from some shop in Germany so it's not the VW serial number.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
It will be here.
This one is a rebuilt engine from some shop in Germany so it's not the VW serial number.

That helps, thanks.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

How did your tune up go? Do any other work on the engine? I'm importing a doka with a DJ engine too, and am trying to learn all I can about it. Similar yet different to the MV it seems!
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
How did your tune up go? Do any other work on the engine? I'm importing a doka with a DJ engine too, and am trying to learn all I can about it. Similar yet different to the MV it seems!

Well, I did the plugs and set the timing which was set to a NA spec engine. Still not sure on the distributor rotor and what is right. I kept the old one but it seems like it has a little play in it. Runs MUCH better but still not great. I've been addressing other issues like fuel lines and pump, still will revisit and try to find out what is correct. There is a Facebook T3 Doka page with a lot of members. I will try it as here a very limited number of owners it seems.

Good luck on the import. I am not sure I would do it again as it's been difficult to get the right info unless you are a real mechanic- and I am not. I can follow directions but I think that's not enough for this truck. You will do better I think.

Last edited by jAndrew on Wed May 12, 2021 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

What you need to know, assuming it's is fuel injection is whether it is a Digijet or Digifant. Numbers off the distributor body might help as well.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

A "DJ" is easy to ID, it will have a Vac Adv / Ret distributor and an Idle control relay like an MV. It also will not have a 02 sensor.

A DJ is also a Digijet and not a Digfant. I believe the plugs are the same and the cap and wires are the same as a 1.9.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

I can send some photos next week if that is helpful. I can also look for the identifying numbers on the block so we can compare. From other samba threads they sound like good engines ~ we'll get them running right!
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
I can send some photos next week if that is helpful. I can also look for the identifying numbers on the block so we can compare. From other samba threads they sound like good engines ~ we'll get them running right!

Yes, indeed. Mine is running okay. One issue is that you don't really know what the PO did, or did not do, correctly. The timing on mine was set the same as a North American Vanagon and was 5 degrees off. That was an easy fix. Another thread here has some useful ingo on the DJ but not verified. If you ask 3 "experts" about plugs and other items you get 3 different answers. Would be nice to have a service manual for the DJ.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

The engine is supposed to be running fine, so I'll see what the degree setting is and let you know.

Somehow I have a PDF copy of the AFC/DJ/DF systems maintenance manual with troubleshooting info. Printed 3/87, which seems early for the 112? I've never owned one so have no idea where I got it from, but that is the beauty of Samba surfing late at night for the last 12 years! It's big. PM me an email and I'll see if I can get it to you.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
A "DJ" is easy to ID, it will have a Vac Adv / Ret distributor and an Idle control relay like an MV. It also will not have a 02 sensor.

A DJ is also a Digijet and not a Digfant. I believe the plugs are the same and the cap and wires are the same as a 1.9.

Stacy

If its a Digijet it likely tunes the same as any Digijet fueled Vanagon engine and may well use all the same tuneup parts. I would suspect that timing it to 28° BTDC @3800+ rpms, with the hoses off and plugged would work fine for it.

Here is a specification page from VWT3.com

http://vwt3.com/t3-tech/t3-data/engine-data/engine-data-t3-2-1l-dj/
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
16CVs wrote:

Stacy

If its a Digijet it likely tunes the same as any Digijet fueled Vanagon engine and may well use all the same tuneup parts. I would suspect that timing it to 28° BTDC @3800+ rpms, with the hoses off and plugged would work fine for it.

Here is a specification page from VWT3.com

http://vwt3.com/t3-tech/t3-data/engine-data/engine-data-t3-2-1l-dj/

Thanks for that useful link!
Gordo_89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Couple questions about a DJ tune-up Reply with quote

Mines a dj and runs on Digifant
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: