Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

I'm doing some mechanical work away hours from my normal shop.

I don't want to strip my shop of its parts washer so I brought up an older small NAPA washer box I've had for decades but I set it aside when I got the bigger box.

I brought this out and it is now the late 2020’s, I wonder about the options for "magic" brews for effective cleaning.

In the big box I have a mix of mineral spirits and some commercial additive I purchased somewhere 15-20 years ago.

I know like everything else, water based mixtures are available.
But, being in an unheated garage with morning temperatures in the teens, I see freezing problems?

I stumbled across a guy on a Ford forum that makes is own bio-diesel and claims it works wonderfully!

Here is his post.......
"
weasel1
New User
weasel1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Parts washer degreaser recipes
For brand new oil it is: 3.5 grams of lye per liter of oil used and 20% methanol. So for me If I used 4L of oil ( Canola, others can be used, but this is preferred ), I would need 1L of methanol and 14 grams of lye. Mix the methanol and the lye together in a plastic bucket with a paint mixer ( new or clean one. I didn't have one so I made a propeller out of wood ) Mix until dissolved. Put all of your oil in another larger container and then slowly add the methanol mix to the oil ( use our propeller stirrer here too ) Mix for about an hour ( yes you do have to do this !! ) Let it sit for a day or so with the lid off ( to let excess methanol evaporate ) Then transfer to your parts washer. Congradulations, you have made biodiesel !! If you need better instructions than this ( or just can't understand mine ... ) Go to www.journeytoforever.org There is some great info there."

What do you use?
Do you like it?
How does the mixture affect your skin or respiratory system?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

just be sure of a few things.. be sure you can stand the smell, be sure it's not extreamly flamable.be sure it's not gonna eat somethen up, be sure it isant going to get stickey or gell up. personaly I would make a concoction I would buy something made for it....well...yup thats what I wood doo. I have a new parts cleaner at home...for almost 2 years now.never did put any liquids in it. Shocked I dont like stink and I dont like a mess.as well as I dont like my hands in that nasty shit Shocked . my old dishwasher does a awesome job at cleaning. so thats usualy my cleaning method.my old clothes washer does a awesome job at cleaning dirty shop rags& towels....although I have enough new rags&towels to last a long time, I havent been using the washing machine much. If I happen to get my clothes nasty...they get washed out in the shop first..then again then into the house for a final wash.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

I just use whatever they put in it at work. I’m not the one who puts the stuff in it. So not sure if that blend is good or not. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

the stuff from tractor supply isn't too bad:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-ps...nnEALw_wcB

it's a shade weaker than SafteyKleen but works pretty well.

for dissolving carbon, i like super clean... not purple power or anything else claiming to be super clean....real super clean. that shit will ruin your day if you're not careful. hopefully the asshats in CA don't make that go away too

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m paying near the same for 5 gallon cans. This doesn’t evaporate as quick as others. I’ve also used used straight mineral spirits from a paint supply store in 5 gallon can about 45.00

Funny if you go to Lowe’s they rape you for 20 bucks a gallon. Chemical supply is another possibility but they usually deal in 55 gallon drums.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

I get Safety Klean from my friends shop.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

What about just regular diesel fuel from the gas station?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

for dissolving carbon, i like super clean... not purple power or anything else claiming to be super clean....real super clean. that shit will ruin your day if you're not careful. hopefully the asshats in CA don't make that go away too

I have been using Super Clean for a few years. Does just fine, and not near as nasty or stinky as the solvent based stuff I used to buy from my local bulk dealer. Cheaper, too. And it doesn't evaporate. Also, pretty sure it doesn't freeze. It has not so far, and it gets well below freezing in my shop sometimes.
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I’ll second the Tractor Supply solvent. About the cheapest we can get and still be effective.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

The chemist here says:

Wear safety goggles

Wear GOOD solvent-proof gloves

Avoid breathing fumes as much as possible, have good ventilation
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

We have a local petroleum company which sells diesel, gas, kerosene and solvent right out of the pump, by the gallon. The place is generally used for local fleet vehicles but sells to the public. You may have something similar in your area if you look.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

I'm was wondering about that too.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Thats what I use... Kerosene works fine as well.

When its time to change... I either use it to start fires, take it to work and dispose with the used oil, or pump it from the reservoir top, strain and filter it to use as tractor fuel,
All depends on how dirty it is.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:
Onceler wrote:

When its time to change... I either use it to start fires, take it to work and dispose with the used oil, or pump it from the reservoir top, strain and filter it to use as tractor fuel,

I think I would rather have a hint of solvent smell in my shop (and on my clothes) than diesel. Diesel just plain stinks!
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

I also work in a unheated garage. I find that non flammable cleaning solutions like Purple Power / Simple Green work 10x better when they are hot. I use an old crockpot for small parts and a big enesco for large items the size of a turkey. they are $5-20 used from the thrift store. Put in hot water to start, and crank that puppy up to 11. soak your parts as long as you want, but they will only clean easily when the parts are hot as you will find. I looked into getting little fryer as well.

Purple power is cheap per Gallon (Dollar Store dishsoap would also work well), non flammable, doesn't stink at all, and is somewhat reusable. The Crockpot inserts are super easy to clean out, especially when they are still hot.

If you can rig up some type of pressure spray gun for hot soapy water, you can get 5 Gallon bucket heaters for cheap and have a high pressure heated parts washer sprayer.

i havent done that yet, but its on the list.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:
Onceler wrote:

I think I would rather have a hint of solvent smell in my shop (and on my clothes) than diesel. Diesel just plain stinks!

I agree, Diesel is a horrible smell!

But, that being said I had about three gallons on aging Minerals spirits, I poured it in and submerged my head.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

hmm I wonder how pine sol works for this? Confused just beware of what ever you use it may attack something if left in too long.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

Beware mineral spirits, I've developed a sensitivity to them after years of cleaning parts and spraying enamels thinned with it, one whiff now and I get the jitters, elevated heart rate and the sweats, no other solvent does it to me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Beware mineral spirits, I've developed a sensitivity to them after years of cleaning parts and spraying enamels thinned with it, one whiff now and I get the jitters, elevated heart rate and the sweats, no other solvent does it to me.

Crazy, I get the same thing when I see that one particular Farrah Fawcett poster. Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Washer Cleaning Fluids Reply with quote

To the point about super clean/simple green/purple power working better when warm or hot. I have a basic cleaning tank. No pump, no tight sealing lid. I made a basic plywood lid when I first got it, but it did allow solvent to evaporate. It is an antique tank with a nice big GUNK logo on the front.

I don't use it often. Sometimes not for weeks or months. When I do, I add a gallon or two of HOT water. Works much better. Over time, that extra water will evaporate out of the tank but not the cleaning solution, so the next time I need it, there is room for more water. Not ideal, and it would have to change if I needed to use the tank more regularly, but that is how it works for now.

On a side note, many years ago when I did my first remodel of my house, I had the plumbers install an outside hot and cold water spigot. It is directly outside of the 50 gallon water heater, which is steps from my shop door. There is nothing like being able to get 130 degree water in the dead of winter, without going into the house. I highly recommend it to anyone considering it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: