Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Looking good Bud...
How much popcorn did you go through while in amazement of a Master at work???

Out of curiosity do you have a before and after weight comparison?

Paul and Rosemarie

Hey Paul. Long time, no see/talk.

Dr. Zarkov does amazing work without a doubt. It was a great collaboration. He would take my crazy-A ideas and turn them into works of art.

As for before and after weights? I never weighed our buggy before the conversion but since it was a pretty standard VW/Meyers Manx build, I'd estimate the before weight ~1500 lbs + or - 150 lbs. I do know exactly how much our Zarkov weighs when empty - 2060 lbs. There is a LOT more steel hidden under our tub than before the conversion. It is a much safer buggy now.
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Yup, it's a typical Joe build, safety 1st, weigh it later.
I'm sure you and Sue will feel much more secure now.

If the powers that be ever get the border closure issues figured out you should consider a trip in this direction....lots to see and doo, some fun roads, and your money is worth more! We're about 90 minutes from Vincent and France in Montreal, an hour to Ottawa.

And almost never see tornadoes or hurricanes! Snow is another matter but highly unlikely between April and November.

Enjoy that buggy, we're jealous!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Ok I’m back at it, spent some time working in the yard before it got too hot.

I cut the lower front torsion adjuster out, then reassembled the front end. My alignment issues *seem* to be fixed but I need to set the string lines up and double check. The car is currently on the top spring only at minimum preload, WAY to soft, I’m gonn have to get a little preload on it and turn the lower until it’s just taking some load in the “down” setting, then tack it in and test it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also messed around with a smaller battery and mounting, going to try it here just need to weld in a mount. This battery is old and dead but it works for mock up

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

The lower torsion adjuster was definitely off center, enough that it was kicking the drivers side lower trailing arm out Causing the extreme negative camber, and pulling the passenger side arm hard against the bushing making the suspension bind (Seemed like the springs were too stiff). After some trial and error with spring tension I ended up welding the adjuster back in at the exact same position (rotationally) that it was before... so my first plan/setting was right.

After I tacked the adjuster in I was able to get the alignment right, well i am at -0.8 degrees camber with the stock eccentrics maxed out. Both sides are symmetric (eccentrics in the same position give the same caster results side to side) so i feel good about it. A set of the aftermarket eccentrics should let me get the camber to 0, but I’m not sure that i care to make the change. I need to read up on alignments on these things
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Beam welded/painted, back on, alignment done, nut/bolted the whole front end one last time, bent locking tabs, etc. done.

Fuel pickup pre filter:

One last look:

In place/bolted down:

Tacked a grounding bolt on the sender:

Vent line in per standard race rules:

Fuel lines hooked up:

Vent line all the way to the pan, need one more straight -6an fitting

Hood and windshield:

Lights! Used the original bases/stands that fit the body stands, Harley LED lights, and some cheap empi housings. These things are cool they have 5 control wires. My neighbor Owns PlashLights and put them together for me, and converted all of the other lights to LED also.

I’m on the home stretch now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Rolled it outside so I could do a little cleanup in the shop. Here is a teaser pic, I will do a photo shoot and some videos once its finished and all the little things are trimed/aligned and it’s been washed

What are people doing for lower windshield support? Aluminum angle bolted to the dash/hood and to the wind while frame? I realize Mine is floppy now that the frame is bolted to the cage

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I very much approve of your gas tank vent lines. Many offroad racers struggle to understand it, both the why and the how. In fact, there have been many Tech Inspectors who don't understand it.

Look at my signature for why I comment on this.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I very much approve of your gas tank vent lines. Many offroad racers struggle to understand it, both the why and the how. In fact, there have been many Tech Inspectors who don't understand it.

Look at my signature for why I comment on this.

Fuel safety is so important, I think it is the most dangerous part of racing. Building the vent line correctly was actually easy, trying to follow the Other SCORE rules is pretty challenging without making it look goofy. This car of course will not race SCORE, but it’s still a decent guideline.

I would like to run the NORRA Mexican 1000 in this car, with some modifications of course. The biggest unknown for me is the safety fuel cell rule, this is the “stock” fuel tank but I’m not air cooled so it puts me into the evolution Manx class so I’m not sure this tank is acceptable. I built the cage to hold a fuel cell over the package tray if needed. I probably would make the switch even if it’s OK, but that’s a big change to the car that may push me to just finish my class 5 car
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

For NORRA, the fuel tank requirement is based on the body. I ran a stock fuel tank in my Manx in 2018 in the Evolution Meyers Manx Class and met all Tech guidelines.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I wish there were some sort of moisture trap for the vents on stuff like this and bikes too...perhaps somebody needs to make a decadent canister or something to catch the moisture...I put a fuel shut off valve in my 4 wheeler for when Im not using it. last time it sat for a long time all the fuel was gone but almost a cup of h20 was in the tank...( sat for about 3~4 years in unairconditioned 12x12 newley built wooden toy shop for those toys..) after removing tank and cleaning out well(just h20)I used it for 3 hours run time in 6 months..when I went back to use it I drained the carb with the tank switched to reserve and a few oz of h20 came out... I cleaned it all out then added to valve to the vent line sofar no issues.Im thinking about putting a valve on the carb vent over flow.but doubt that would help any thing since it still has the air bleeds& open to the air box. as for your fuel pump & plumbing....I was thinking about juut finding a car module the right depth of the tank Ill be using so the pump& everything else is in the tank to be cooled by the fuel. those suckers can get dam hot.I replaced many under warranty due to over heating when mercrusier went to efi in the 90's with upgraded pumps, they then went to water cooled pumps...I dont know what they have now, probably in tank pumps. or possiably still the water cooled as it was just a heat exchanger that went to the cold h20 line going to the engine, after the oil cooler heat exchanger....not may pump issues when they have a way to shed thier heat.thus the reason for pumps in the tank,and thats the main reason they are there. I would atleast put a heat sync on a external pump setup. even the nascar shit uses pump in the tank. keep up the great work!!!
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I wish there were some sort of moisture trap for the vents on stuff like this and bikes too...perhaps somebody needs to make a decadent canister or something to catch the moisture...I put a fuel shut off valve in my 4 wheeler for when Im not using it. last time it sat for a long time all the fuel was gone but almost a cup of h20 was in the tank...( sat for about 3~4 years in unairconditioned 12x12 newley built wooden toy shop for those toys..) after removing tank and cleaning out well(just h20)I used it for 3 hours run time in 6 months..when I went back to use it I drained the carb with the tank switched to reserve and a few oz of h20 came out... I cleaned it all out then added to valve to the vent line sofar no issues.Im thinking about putting a valve on the carb vent over flow.but doubt that would help any thing since it still has the air bleeds& open to the air box. as for your fuel pump & plumbing....I was thinking about juut finding a car module the right depth of the tank Ill be using so the pump& everything else is in the tank to be cooled by the fuel. those suckers can get dam hot.I replaced many under warranty due to over heating when mercrusier went to efi in the 90's with upgraded pumps, they then went to water cooled pumps...I dont know what they have now, probably in tank pumps. or possiably still the water cooled as it was just a heat exchanger that went to the cold h20 line going to the engine, after the oil cooler heat exchanger....not may pump issues when they have a way to shed thier heat.thus the reason for pumps in the tank,and thats the main reason they are there. I would atleast put a heat sync on a external pump setup. even the nascar shit uses pump in the tank. keep up the great work!!!

It will be interesting to see if my 3D printed fuel pump bracket melts (I used PETG)
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Finished up the panel for the dash switches, starter, ignition/fuel “run”, low beams, high beams, and dash lights. I could back light the letters and change the red to clear but the switch lights are enough for now

These switches are stainless steel and have RGB LED lights, both N.O. And N.C. Terminals. They are first run prototypes from PlashLights.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Still taking care of the little details, steering wheel is lined up straight, crank case breather hooked up, dash switches mounted, etc

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Finally found what I needed for the radiator lines

Also modeled up the ECU mount and fuse box mount, they are printing overnight

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Lined some worm gear hose clamps with silicone and secured the radiator hoses:

Mounted the radiator overflow tank:

Ecu and fuse box mounts finished printing, hoping to get these mounted tomorrow behind the passenger seat.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I know this stuff is boring but the little details are important

Made a battery tray, paint is drying overnight I will weld it to the bumper tube tomorrow.

Safety cutoff switch and the start of the main battery cables

Steering wheel and center cap are installed for the final time

Radiator overflow lines run, all the little things buttoned up ready for coolant

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

eye wood route that valve cover breather up under somewhere protected and be sure to hang it up side down so if it gets wet the h2o dont drain into the engine...also your plumbing looks ok,just be sure there isant any tension on the raidaitor inlets or outlets, you dont want any cracks.the sily cone hoses should do fine.( that marine ex hose is a good idea and it's dam stiff too and cant be punctured) Ive been looking at the lightweight lithium motor sycle batterys, just over $100 for around 250-300 cca
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I Have been mocking up the wiring, sourcing some extra fan relays, drawing wiring diagrams, printing connectors, etc. nothing picture worthy

I did finally weld the battery mount on:

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

I completed the plugs for the switches, took quite a few attempts to get the tolerances right. This should really clean up the dash wiring.

Cut a block off plate for the old battery box, and drew up a cable/wiring pass through that will mount on it. Not shown is how it is two piece so it can be installed over the main harness that has big plugs already installed on each end. Rev 0 is printing overnight.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx II “2-Face” Ecotec IRS Bus 091 Reply with quote

Harness and power/ground pass through is all ready to go, just waiting on some black filament so I can reprint in black, not a fan of the red.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: