Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'82 Vanagon Throttle (Accelerator) Cable Replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm1897
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: '82 Vanagon Throttle (Accelerator) Cable Replacement Reply with quote

Hi there,

I need some help replacing the throttle cable that went kaput on my '82 manual transmission van. This was originally a diesel van that now has a 1.8 CIS engine (from an '86 Fox or Passat according to the previous owner). I purchased a throttle cable for a manual transmission Vanagon from GoWesty, but of course this will not work for me. The cable is not long enough and the setup on the engine end is entirely different.

Will I have to create my own custom throttle cable? I assumed others had faced a similar dilemma, but a search of the forum did not reveal any leads. Appreciate the help.

You can see the connection to the engine...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the cable after I removed it...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 Vanagon Throttle (Accelerator) Cable Replacement Reply with quote

Buy a cable that fits the pedal linkage for a Vanagon and then another one that fits the engine and figure out how to connect them so your combo will work.
dlm1897
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Vanagon Throttle (Accelerator) Cable Replacement Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice - that would definitely work. I would prefer to use 1 cable and not have to worry about the two separating. Has anyone else faced this same dilemma?

Should I just build my own custom cable?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Vanagon Throttle (Accelerator) Cable Replacement Reply with quote

A place like Instrument Sales and Service might be able to build you one. IS&S has shops in many cities.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '82 Vanagon Throttle (Accelerator) Cable Replacement Reply with quote

That's not an OE cable. It looks home made. Generally, your sheath should continue to the intake and a bracket where you make the final adjustment. The exposed cable doesn't look correct. It's interesting that it failed at the front.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: