Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me decide on a new welder
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which MIG welder?
Lincoln Weld-pak 140
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Hobart Handler 140
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new 110V MIG that can do either Gas or Flux-wire.

I have it down to either a Lincoln 140 Weld-pak or a Hobart Handler 140.

Comments appreciated too, especially if you have experience with both.

Thanks guys
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

I love my Lincoln Weld-pak 140. Mid size bottle on a cart. It's about the height of the welder when its all on the cart. Its just perfect !
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

Both are comparable in ability, but I'd say that the Hobart is a little better built.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

I'd like to know, too, because my store carries the Lincoln, and it would be an easy purchase.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

The Hobart has an additional voltage setting over the Lincoln. There's also the Hobart Handler 125.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
additional voltage setting

Was wondering what you meant buy this ?
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

The only All-Transformer welders that I'm aware of that are available new ,have a Voltage Tap switch and are not infinitely variable . This means that if you have let's say a 125 amp machine;

Setting one is 25 volts.
two is ,40 volts
three is 70 and
4 is 125.

At one time I was interested in a Hobart Ironman and talked to a Hobart sales rep about the welder. He said that the lower settings are bunched up and the higher you go the bigger difference the settings make. I would actually prefer a voltage tap machine but in my opinion they need about twice as many settings as they give you. For a 102 amp welder I would want at least 7 settings.

Before inverters dominated the market, the big selling point with welders was if they had Infinitely Variable Voltage Control or not.

The Lincoln 140C has it but as all Lincoln welders , you don't get a lot for your money at $1000 bucks.
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

Good info guys... its tied at 50/50 right now.

I did learn a couple things I didn't realize.
1) that the Hobart has an extra voltage selection (5 vs 4)
2) the Hobart might be a bit more robust.

It seems Lowes and HD both carry the Lincoln brand...that would make it easier for getting tips and stuff when you need them.

Oh...the Hobart Handler 125 has a gas switch but doesn't come with the full gas set-up. If I really want gas then I might as well get the 140.

Please keep your input and votes coming!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157122

I have found it very helpful, as I am shopping for a welder right now, and have pages of notes to attempt to narrow my choice down.

I, too, want a 140-ish, 110v, gas welder, of which the Lincoln 140 is a finalist.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

I have the Hobart 140. It was a craigslist buy, well worth the $375. I matched it to a Harbor Freight wheeled cart and picked up a gas bottle also from craigslist. About $500 and ready to go. Works best with gas. I only do small stuff, its been perfect for welding in patches in my double cab build. The more you weld the better you get. Im still better with the grinder. When you have a welder, you find more things to do with it, and become more popular with non welder owning friends. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Have you seen this thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157122

I have found it very helpful, as I am shopping for a welder right now, and have pages of notes to attempt to narrow my choice down.

I, too, want a 140-ish, 110v, gas welder, of which the Lincoln 140 is a finalist.

Yes, I did and read the whole thing Smile Good thread. Thanks!
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I have the Hobart 140. It was a craigslist buy, well worth the $375. I matched it to a Harbor Freight wheeled cart and picked up a gas bottle also from craigslist. About $500 and ready to go. Works best with gas. I only do small stuff, its been perfect for welding in patches in my double cab build. The more you weld the better you get. Im still better with the grinder. When you have a welder, you find more things to do with it, and become more popular with non welder owning friends. Smile

Nice work! I guess in reality I probably can't go wrong with either the Lincoln or the Hobart.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

ncpi wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Nice work! I guess in reality I probably can't go wrong with either the Lincoln or the Hobart.

I think you know all you need to know. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems Lowes and HD both carry the Lincoln brand...that would make it easier for getting tips and stuff when you need them.

Farm Centers sell Hobart Welders. Consumables for a MIG welder last a long time. Your gun and liner will probably wear out and or break before a you need more contact tips/ nozzles.
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a new welder Reply with quote

Bit the bullet! Purchased the Hobart from Northern Tool. Amazon's delivery was out in February.

The swingers for me... the extra Voltage setting, the wire feed "seems" better and the warranty is much better (5 yrs on transformer,/3 on the electronics/1 on the gun vs Lincoln is 1 yr/gun is 90 days). Plus its actually made in the good old USA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: