Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail / LP / rear marker / dash lights - bad switch??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Tail / LP / rear marker / dash lights - bad switch?? Reply with quote

Hello folks,

A new water pump AND new fuel pump later, I'm back in business with my 1984 1.9L westy. Thanks again for all of your assistance.

The new project is to get my tail and instrument panel lights working. Replacing the bulbs in the tail lights and cleaning the leads in there didn't help.

I have also now figured out that my license plate light is also not working and that there were no bulbs in the backup light slot. And I realized that the 'side markers' are actually supposed to light up (I figured they were reflectors because they were totally inert. Opening them up I found a puddle of rusty water and deeply corroded old bulbs/connectors).

If I'm reading the wiring diagram at Bentley 97.57 correctly (and I very well might not be), it seems that the license plate lights, tail lights, rear side marker lights, and instrument pane light share a ground. So I cleaned that ground up, and that didn't help.

According to the operating control instructions, the first step on the headlight switch turns on the 'parking, side marker, license plate, tail, and instrument lights.' I can't see that the first step on the switch does anything at all. So I'm wondering if it could be a bad switch. Have these been known to fail in this way? Suggestions on how to test it?

Heads, brakes, and turn signals all work fine. All fuses recently replaced.

Not pretending to be knowledgeable about electrics, but ready to learn.

Thanks, and happy new year!
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: tail / lp / r marker / dash lights - bad switch ?? Reply with quote

Is it both tail lights or just one side?
Have you checked continuity to ground of one or both of the offending tail light housings?
Also, check for how much power is actually making it to the various lights - after confirming that the grounds are/aren't ok

Switch should be an easy test with continuity, then voltage. First check voltage is coming to the switch.
For continuity - put one end of the meter at the power input pin, then the second lead on the output pin that controls that first stage.
For voltage, same test but the lead that was on the input pin will now be in a known good ground.

Let us know what you find!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tail / lp / r marker / dash lights - bad switch ?? Reply with quote

Don't the tail lights ground in the engine area, kind of below the coil?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: tail / lp / r marker / dash lights - bad switch ?? Reply with quote

It's both sides.

The ground I cleaned up is the one under the starter coil.

I'm trying to find a 9v for my multimeter, and I will post an update with new info.
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail / LP / rear marker / dash lights - bad switch?? Reply with quote

I figured out that I didn't have any power coming into pin 30 on the back of the switch, because I had misread the instructions for the GW aux battery kit install and re-routed that wire from the aux battery relay (thinking it was for the fridge?)I re-connected the original red/yellow wire and now the tails etc. all work. Hooray.

Except now all of a sudden my factory house lights (driver side front and rear) don't work at all. I can't seem to find the connection in the Bentley. Thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: