Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

Tell us more about what it takes Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Allot of dedication and the will to be the best is what sets records in Pro Stock.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
HotStreetVw wrote:
Allot of dedication and the will to be the best is what sets records in Pro Stock.

Oh I bet. I’ve worked my ass of and I’m half as fast.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Guys, were talking about a 1700lb car with 200-220 ft-lbs of torque. It doesn’t need a 10” ring and pinion.

When you consider the cost, the weight, the work involved in sticking it between the frame horns it’s all pretty foolish.

If he was building a 500hp turbo engine, well ok, but he’s not.

Exactly....

Even Pat isn't running a Mendeola in his Pro-Stock. A Type 1 S/A with a spool is going to have the least mass to turn, and a Mendeola with 930/934 joints the most.

While I would like to hear how to build a fast Pro-Stock from Pat, I thought this thread was about a NHRA Super Stock racer? IRS drivelines are way simpler to get joints/axles that will live to 300hp. I would be building a Type 2 with an IRS suspension.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
HotStreetVw wrote:

I'm not interested in setting the world on fire, or more accurately, I'm not interested in paying what it costs to set the world on fire.

NHRA Super Stock racing is handicap racing with breakout rules. As long as I can reliably run under the 11.60 index, I'm good to go.

The only time I'd face a heads-up race with no breakout rule in effect, would be if the ladder handed me another SS/VX car, which would be astronomically unlikely. And if that happens, it happens- I've won and lost races for plenty of strange reasons...
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

RLR REV-6 single disc clutch and no clutch management system?
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
I'm not interested in setting the world on fire, or more accurately, I'm not interested in paying what it costs to set the world on fire.

NHRA Super Stock racing is handicap racing with breakout rules. As long as I can reliably run under the 11.60 index, I'm good to go.

You seem to be the only one on this thread that understands that fact, LOL

edited, as to not waste bandwidth, LOL

Last edited by TomSimon on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

While I do enjoy hearing from actual SS/VX racers, Gurn hasn’t been on the site since March, so it looks like your info may be falling on deaf ears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carl nolen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

If I where building a VW drag car today, I would start with a prepped bus box and build the car around it. Yes, a type 1 box will work but you have to find the sweet spot in the clutch as not to blast the r&p. You will spend a lot of money on a bus or type 1 box. However, the bus box has a lot better r&p and will last longer. Build your car or buy one first, put a drag motor in it and weight it. That way, you will know what size of motor to build. Most drag cars are between 1550 and 1700 lbs. Mine weighs 1640 lbs (type 1 box) with me in it. With me having a 2180, I'm a little heavy as 1600 w/driver is the target weight for that engine size for VX.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
While I do enjoy hearing from actual SS/VX racers, Gurn hasn’t been on the site since March, so it looks like your info may be falling on deaf ears.

I'm regretting coming on here again...
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Let's remember that, unlike Facebook, this forum remains an easily-searchable repository for technical information.

Your contributions may be useful to somebody, if not many, even if the OP doesn't come back to see it.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

Good day Tom,

I am looking at this comment you made below, when you say bus box are you talking the 091 from 1983 - 1991 with the wider gears or the 002 with the car gears internal.

Ohio Tom wrote:
Most run bus or Mediola boxes.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseline NHRA SS/VX type engine combo? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
TomSimon wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Let's remember that, unlike Facebook, this forum remains an easily-searchable repository for technical information.

Your contributions may be useful to somebody, if not many, even if the OP doesn't come back to see it.

Tom, I apologize if my comment came off disrespectful, or offensive.

Stripped66 is correct that everything here gets archived for everyone, so even though the person you are quoting/replying to has moved on, your info will be helpful to someone else. There are a lot of knowledgeable members with correct solutions to someone’s issues that have left the site from disagreements with those less knowledgeable with incorrect solutions. I have been posting less, and less from certain family commitments that allow me a fraction of the time on the site I once had. Nothing is more frustrating to me than to take my limited time to help someone I don’t even know with a solution to their problem, because it is an exact one I have solved many times, only to have them never come back to the site giving up. I’m sure your time is valuable, and there are many on this site that would like to hear your experiences. Myself included. I simply would like you to get the most out of your time on the site helping someone “more receptive”.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: