Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Story Behind the Picture
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

The story behind the picture. The older we get the more stories we accumulate. With social media what it is today, pictures are thrown out all the time with no content. I for one am guilty of that for sure. As I look back on some of the old photos, I thought it would be neat and maybe take off in a thread to post some personal photos you have of your Type 3 adventures over the years.

Ill take the first shot.

When I first lived in Seattle in late 1997 early 1998, I naturally looked and did all things ACVW that I could find. My work route at the time would take me up Aurora Ave N past South Lake Union up into West Lake before the Aurora Bridge. Back in 1997-98 I would pass a 64 T34 that was for sale. The one pictured below. At the time I knew zero about these cars. This one looked to be in good shape, complete and a fun runner. I got ahold of the seller who was acting on behalf of a friend. We met up at the car, in the lot, on the side of the road. He let me take the car for the day. I was scared I would crash it or something. Very generous to say the least. I have fun, drove it clear down to Kent, took this pic outside the apartments I lived in at the time. After I returned it, we talked price. They wanted 10k for it. I was a little shocked as Type 3's were nowhere near that kind of price at the time. I was told there was a guy that knew about these cars and was a participant writer in the mags - HVW & VWT, named Lee Hedges. I believe I asked HVW for his info and to my surprise was given it. Neat part is that was the first time I spoken to the guy that remains a very good friend to this day. More on that one later. Anyways, the price was to high, the front clip was replaced "ok" but you could tell. But this car, this pic is my first real hands on experience with a T34. I passed of course and often wonder what happened to this car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Great idea Jason!

So where to start, this pic is from 2002 and is on our wedding day. First though I should explain how owning the car came about. Around 1992 I found this notch in a backyard in Calgary and it was a little too much of a project for what I was looking for at the time (daily driver) so I passed on the sellers info to a buddy, who is also the little brother of my wife’s childhood friend. He ended up buying the car and enjoying it until it spun a bearing.

Fast forward ten years and we were at my wife’s, then fiancé’s 10 year HS reunion. Well my buddy shows up as a date for one her classmates and we get to talking about VW’s and he asked if I would be interested in the car. I said yes, and we moved to the bar to distance ourselves and discuss in further detail. He described the rough life the car had had since being parked, mainly some kids jumped on the roof and hood. A date was set for the next day or so to come and see the car and despite the blown motor and dented panels a deal was struck on the condition that I could leave it there for a day or two until I could find a space to work on it.

You see, I bought the car three weeks before my wedding in order to pick my bride up at the church on our day. I manage to convince a friend to let me park it in their back yard and set to work on it...sneaking out for a bike ride. Lucky for me I had a rebuilt long block for a square I had at my Mom’s house and with the help of a buddy in the rain we installed the motor. All went fine, until I tried to access the torque converter bolts and there was no access relief in the case. We borrowed a dremel and set to work on the case in the rain, after midnight. Great times! We eventually got it in and went for a drive around the neighborhood, possibly illegally, most likely illegally.

After it was up and running I would ride my bike over every morning before work and drive the car to the office to get some miles on it to ensure it was ready. The day of the wedding, my mates and I spent the morning detailing and decorating the car, and kind of lost track of time, as the photographer showed up to take some dressing shots and we were still in the garage. After we we were dressed and loaded into the car, we went for a cruise around town and even rolled through a local car show. Once at the church, the car was parked at the back of the lot and the ceremony went off without a hitch. While we were in the church my mate brought the car up, needless to say, she was PISSED 🤣😂🤣 she had an inkling something was up, but thought I was working on the square and not a new car.

She got over it pretty quickly and wasn’t as disappointed when I surprised her with a westy for our 5 year anniversary, but that’s another story...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Have you ever seen a scammer check? The scam behind this image is a twist on an old favorite called "Check Kiting". Back in 2001 I sold my Black lowered 64 Resto custom notch to pay for an all original low mileage 63 notch from Germany. I advertised the sale here on the samba. As today, back then you would get scam emails. The one associated with this check is that the buyer pays full price, no questions asked. But he asks a favor from you. They send a check over to you for more than the cost of the car and ask that you take the extra money and send it to their friend, business partner bookie - whomever.

But here is the catch. While you wait for the check to clear, and if you fell for the bait, you sent $$ - good money from your account over to the person they asked you to send to. The check finally bounces, you are scammed out of the $$ you sent out. Checks to clear can take up to a week at times.

So back in 04 I was curious. I went along the whole time knowing it was a scam. I got this neat little souvenir eventually and still have it.

Be careful and weary of scammers. I couldn't believe some of the low ballers and scammer assholes that came out of the wood work this last time I sold my 74 bus.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justinekins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

This is my 5 year-old daughter in my 64 Variant. She loves to climb around inside, especially between the back seat and the cargo area. I remember playing in it exactly the same way 35 years ago when I was her age and the car belonged to my grandma and grandpa. There were never any seat belts, and there were no laws on kids riding in the back seat, so I rode around in the front passenger seat for years with grandpa, sitting on the edge of the seat and pretending I was driving using the passenger grab handle Smile

After traveling to see family in Germany around '64, my great uncle brought it back to my grandparents here in Reno as a gift and they remained the only owners until grandpa couldn't drive anymore, around the age of 87. After good fortune and maintenance for over forty years, about 5 years before my grandpa stopped driving, a young kid made a left in front of us and tried to beat us through the light though he should have yielded and blammo, his right front fender and ours plowed into each other, resulting in the damage you see in the photo. Grandpa went down to Pick and Pull and was able to find a suitable hood and fender replacement (back then Type 3s were still in Pick and Pull!), though he sadly never was able to get it re-painted before he stopped driving and passed away. It's on my list as the cherry on top when I finish my slow restoration. The cool story about that accident, though, is that, while there were no seat belts and the accident was head-on and very sudden and unexpected, before I even realized what had happened, my grandpa had reached over and shielded me. We were both ok, amazingly, God bless him for his care and attention to protect me.

Grandpa died in 2011 at the age of 94, and I inherited the car. I was living in Hawaii when he died, so the car sat in my mom's garage until a year ago when I had it towed to the local Buggie Barn and got the motor and basics brought back to life after having sat about 18 years. I also put new brakes on it and I've been working on a laundry list of other things since then, one piece at a time as I can afford. This is a great project I can share with my daughter while carrying on my grandpa's legacy. As I have slowly restored things, I have found a number of great mementos: my grandma's lipstick, a newspaper from 2001, a Burger King halloween free French fries coupon from when I went trick or treating in the 80's, and some of my childhood dog's dog biscuits, which grandma kept in the glove box for her.

I really wish I had even just one picture from those days with me playing in the Variant, but this will have to suffice. Although it's inside a Chevy van, it's me with my grandpa. I miss grandpa a lot and I feel so glad I was fortunate enough to get to keep his car and keep his memory alive. I put THKSGPA on the license plate.

Last edited by justinekins on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Great stories from Jason37 & justinekins. Shows very clearly how we take a very personal relationship with these old cars. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

justinekins wrote:

This is my 5 year-old daughter in my 64 Variant. She loves to climb around inside, especially between the back seat and the cargo area. I remember playing in it exactly the same way 35 years ago when I was her age and the car belonged to my grandma and grandpa. There were never any seat belts, and there were no laws on kids riding in the back seat, so I rode around in the front passenger seat for years with grandpa, sitting on the edge of the seat and pretending I was driving using the passenger grab handle Smile

After traveling to see family in Germany around '64, my great uncle brought it back to my grandparents here in Reno as a gift and they remained the only owners until grandpa couldn't drive anymore, around the age of 87. After good fortune and maintenance for over forty years, about 5 years before my grandpa stopped driving, a young kid made a left in front of us and tried to beat us through the light though he should have yielded and blammo, his right front fender and ours plowed into each other, resulting in the damage you see in the photo. Grandpa went down to Pick and Pull and was able to find a suitable hood and fender replacement (back then Type 3s were still in Pick and Pull!), though he sadly never was able to get it re-painted before he stopped driving and passed away. It's on my list as the cherry on top when I finish my slow restoration. The cool story about that accident, though, is that, while there were no seat belts and the accident was head-on and very sudden and unexpected, before I even realized what had happened, my grandpa had reached over and shielded me. We were both ok, amazingly, God bless him for his care and attention to protect me.

Grandpa died in 2011 at the age of 94, and I inherited the car. I was living in Hawaii when he died, so the car sat in my mom's garage until a year ago when I had it towed to the local Buggie Barn and got the motor and basics brought back to life after having sat about 18 years. I also put new brakes on it and I've been working on a laundry list of other things since then, one piece at a time as I can afford. This is a great project I can share with my daughter while carrying on my grandpa's legacy. As I have slowly restored things, I have found a number of great mementos: my grandma's lipstick, a newspaper from 2001, a Burger King halloween free French fries coupon from when I went trick or treating, and some of childhood dog's dog biscuits, which grandma kept in the glove box her.

I really wish I had even just one picture from those days with me playing in the Variant, but this will have to suffice. Although it's inside a Chevy van, it's me with my grandpa. I miss grandpa a lot and I feel so glad I was fortunate enough to get to keep his car and keep his memory alive. I put THKSGPA on the license plate.

im little over 50 miles south of you in Gardnerville, If you ever need a hand just let me know! sometimes it feels like there are none of us left in northern Nevada. vw spottings in general are getting thin, let alone type 3's

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Taken from my 64 notchback thread - this magazine cover has more meaning to me now. Wink Laughing

-As with any refurb and or restoration of an old car, expect the unexpected. In my case it was a rotten gas tank. The large scales of chunky rust I found in it were amazing. Ive never seen a tank anywhere that bad. Not wanting to fix it, I looked out for another better used one. What I found was neat to say the least.

I peppered the regular hitters in the classys and found more than one suitable example at what I thought a fair price - thanks to any of you willing to haggle. But I saw one ugly one not to far from me here in Seattle. The insides looked amazing and the price was super cheap relatively. So I ventured South yesterday and found a nicer than picked tank and a cool VW dude I never met.

The tank is from this featured cover car from the November 1984 VWTrend's Mag. It was coated in plasti coat Sick Not talking Yes an excepted "detail" back int the day along with dual wipers and chrome tin. The guy I met (who can chime in if reads this) has the squareback and big plans for it. Cool Needless to say not needing the tank.

So I stripped the top and primered it. Ill paint today in Satin Black.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8573489#8573489

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
axeman569
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Here is my notchback when my Dad and I picked it up in 1985. It's my first ever car. Did some of the typical 80's work to it. Lowered, switched to disk and IRS etc. Ended up in my dad's garage until a few years ago. I still have it, but sadly my Dad passed away a few years ago. Still remember picking it up like it was yesterday. One of the cool things, I got a Birth Certificate in 1985. Much cooler than the ones today.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Cool to see those old pics, how does it look now?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

This body was without a chassis sice the early 80s

Until this moment in 2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
axeman569
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool to see those old pics, how does it look now?

It's all torn apart now. I got it when I was 15 and did some work to make it a daily driver. I was given another car before I could get this one running. It has been in my Dad's garage all these years. Brought it home a couple years ago to build it. Have been stockpiling parts. Split the body from the pan to do the rust repair. Has rust in the heater channels and a little in the c posts (sunroof car). Hope to get that going and put her back together.
axeman569
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Looks like this now except the body has been lifted off the pan.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Since most of your guys are 10+ years older than me, I enjoy seeing your actual film photos of cool cars and times of days past. Cool thread guys, keep it coming.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

Back in the day - like October of 2002 I had bought two local 64 notchbacks I knew of. I befriended the owner a couple years before. I had a 66 Cal Look Fasty at the time in my youth. It was my trouble maker car for sure. After buying the notchbacks I went through all the parts to see what goodies I had. A surprise under the front hood was all thisinterior stuff from the PO, PO. Education at the time, suplied by physical objects. All original stuff - some super nice, some not so much. I had the corner on lower ribbed 64/65 panels for a hot second Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Back in the day - like October of 2002 I had bought two local 64 notchbacks I knew of. I befriended the owner a couple years before. I had a 66 Cal Look Fasty at the time in my youth. It was my trouble maker car for sure. After buying the notchbacks I went through all the parts to see what goodies I had. A surprise under the front hood was all thisinterior stuff from the PO, PO. Education at the time, suplied by physical objects. All original stuff - some super nice, some not so much. I had the corner on lower ribbed 64/65 panels for a hot second Laughing

How much of that score do you still have left Jason?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

"0"

Nada. It was either used or sold long ago. Had fun having it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

This is not an old photo. In fact it was taken in July 2020, but there is an almost 30 year long story behind it.

Back in 1990 I was 20 years old and into older cars, and for some reason VWs in particular. But I never wanted a Beetle (in fact I was 40 years old when I got my first Beetle). I wanted a Type 3.

I found a 1972 Squareback for sale locally and bought it. It was completely standard and was orange with a black interior. It was my only car and my daily driver for 2 years and during that 2 year period I also bought my first house which I renovated using the Squareback as a van to move materials.

I went to a few shows and met a few people and my love for aircooled VWs really took off.

In 1992 I sold the Square and immediately regretted it, but life at the time meant it had to go. I always looked out for it at shows but never saw it. Then when the internet and forums came around I used to look in the background of everyone's photos taken at shows all over the country but still no luck.

Fast forward to early 2020 and a chance google search of the registration number returned a photo on instagram of a Splitscreen bus with my old Squareback parked beside it! And even better, it had a For Sale sign in the window.
A bit more internet sleuthing and I tracked down the owner and found at that it was still for sale, so a deal was done and I set off with my trailer on the 7 hour journey to go an get it back.

A lot of my life now - the car shows I go to, the drag racing I do, even my love of camping and a great many of my friends can all be tied back to aircooled VWs and this Squareback was where it all started. This car literally changed my life and I spent 28 years trying to find it.

It's now safely in my garage and will be getting all the attention it needs, which isn't much tbh, just as soon as I've finished the body off restoration on one of my other Beetles.
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

So back in 04 I was curious. I went along the whole time knowing it was a scam. I got this neat little souvenir eventually and still have it.

Ha, this happened to me around the same time. I used the name Noscam Forme and they didn't catch the joke. A few days later I received the 'certified' check via FedEx.

When the scammers later inquired about the money, I apologized and said that I blew it on drugs and hookers. They actually seemed to think it was funny and left me alone afterwards.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the Picture Reply with quote

veedweeb great story on the square. Good to see you found it!

No age required on the pic. Im always curious what the 1000 words are behind each shot - old or new photo! Cool Laughing

Back in 93-94?? I saw this funny looking VW for sale on the corner of Pomarado and Poway Rd. I went to look ar it and saw it was a T34 Ghia. Up till then Id only seen them in mags. I barley knew much outside of the standard US Type 3 line, let alone notchbacks and Ghias. Years later I found out it was Lee Hedges car that he was selling when we got to talking memberberry stories.

Move now to 2008. I was seeing the T34 on the rise and wanted one. So I found one for sale and bought it. It turned out to be Lees old car. Shocked Cool Funny to see this car come in from Illinois or Idaho - cant rember exactly, Id have to look at the binder of paperwork. But there it was in San Antoio with me.

I quickly sent it off to Tram that year to have it made into a convertible. It stayed in Springfield Oregon till this year when I had it shipped to me in San Diego. Old George gave it his best but couldnt get the old vert done for me. I ended up with all the T34 stuff he had, mine, his and a Jack Cool This old 64 that lee had was worse for the wear afer being stripped to make it a vert. To me it was so far gone that I would either part it out or sell it off. I did a combo of both. It was when I sold the doors I found this old reminder of it all. It was on the window but slid inside the door cavity at some point. Never to be see till I pulled the panel. The bolt on parts are sold off, the door panels went to Poland, the body remains went to a collector in Mexico, I still have the pan, drivetrain and vin.

Since I got Trams old 66 vert beginings - with no title - Ill make a 64 out of it, change the dash, maybe the whole pan - keep the forsale sign on the wall with other memories.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: