Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

Got a question on 6v vs. 12v choke element on carb. I have 61 beetle 6v with 40hp motor. I took off my 28 Pict carb and put a 30Pict 1 carb on the car. Seems to run a little better, at least sitting in the garage. The 30Pict 1 has 12v choke element. It is too big for the 28Pict carb. Any suggestions? I think I can leave it on there, but it will just take longer to open up.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

If the 6 volt choke heater is the same physical size, swap it in.

If not, either just get a 6V choke heater that fits that carburetor - if one is available, or just realize that it will take a few more minutes to open the choke butterfly with a 12 volt choke, so "may" run a little rougher for first few minutes.

But why not just try that?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

It is smaller in diameter than the 12v one, so I can't swap them out. Not sure if I can get a 6v for the 30pict1. If anyone knows, please let me know.

But just to confirm, if I leave it alone it will simply take longer to open, correct?

Cusser wrote:
If the 6 volt choke heater is the same physical size, swap it in.

If not, either just get a 6V choke heater that fits that carburetor - if one is available, or just realize that it will take a few more minutes to open the choke butterfly with a 12 volt choke, so "may" run a little rougher for first few minutes.

But why not just try that?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
It is smaller in diameter than the 12v one, so I can't swap them out. Not sure if I can get a 6v for the 30pict1. If anyone knows, please let me know.

You want part number 113129191H.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

One thing, that many people, including myself, have done to get around the problem to the tiny 6-V-only early choke heating element over the years is to use the top half of a different carb. The 28PICT-1 top fits and works fine on there.

Hell, even the top half of the 30PICT-1 is similar enough to bolt onto the bottom half a 28PICT. The main difference with that, other than the choke assembly, is the high speed enrichment "power fuel" system, or lack thereof if you have a 1966 1300 carburetor.

For those carbs that do have the high speed enrichment tube, the jet size was slightly smaller on the 1500 30PICT-1 than on the 1200 28PICT, (the 28 series has a check ball in the carb body to regulate flow, the 30 doesn't, so does it with a smaller orifice)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

Interesting. Never thought about that. Thanks for the info.

glutamodo wrote:
One thing, that many people, including myself, have done to get around the problem to the tiny 6-V-only early choke heating element over the years is to use the top half of a different carb. The 28PICT-1 top fits and works fine on there.

Hell, even the top half of the 30PICT-1 is similar enough to bolt onto the bottom half a 28PICT. The main difference with that, other than the choke assembly, is the high speed enrichment "power fuel" system, or lack thereof if you have a 1966 1300 carburetor.

For those carbs that do have the high speed enrichment tube, the jet size was slightly smaller on the 1500 30PICT-1 than on the 1200 28PICT, (the 28 series has a check ball in the carb body to regulate flow, the 30 doesn't, so does it with a smaller orifice)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
txasylum wrote:

The larger diameter choke element is available in 6v and 12v versions. You just have to look at a few 28PICT-1 and 30PICT-1 carbs to find the voltage you want. The older 28PICT carb used a smaller diameter choke element. In that style I've only seen the 6v version.

You could likely adjust the 12v version to open a little quicker on 6v. The right answer is to get a 6v version. The 12v one may never turn off completely if it is really cold.

Echoing what Glutamodo said, I wonder if the 28PICT top would fit and work correctly on a 30PICT-1 carb. I've never heard of anyone tying that swap.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

I ended up ordering a 6v element. It is Chinese made so hope it works, or simply lasts a while.

EVfun wrote:
mukluk wrote:
txasylum wrote:

The larger diameter choke element is available in 6v and 12v versions. You just have to look at a few 28PICT-1 and 30PICT-1 carbs to find the voltage you want. The older 28PICT carb used a smaller diameter choke element. In that style I've only seen the 6v version.

You could likely adjust the 12v version to open a little quicker on 6v. The right answer is to get a 6v version. The 12v one may never turn off completely if it is really cold.

Echoing what Glutamodo said, I wonder if the 28PICT top would fit and work correctly on a 30PICT-1 carb. I've never heard of anyone tying that swap.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
txasylum wrote:

In case there's any confusion, this is the part number for a 6V choke element for a 30PICT carburetor.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

That is the part I ordered.

mukluk wrote:
mukluk wrote:
txasylum wrote:

In case there's any confusion, this is the part number for a 6V choke element for a 30PICT carburetor.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 30Pict1 12V choke coil on 6V system Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

You meant, the other way around I think. But really, they should work either way. I have put a 30 top on a 28 carb before, it does work - the gasket is the same! You just need to deal with the Power Fuel System. The 28 series does require it, (VW issued a Service Note about a handful of carbs that had issues with the Power Fuel System and the symptom it describes is real), and I'd probably remove the check ball in the carb body if I was putting a 1967 30 top on a 28 carb. Likewise I would NOT put a 1300 30PICT-1 top on a 28 series carb.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: