Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lightened Sandrail parts?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c-rad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

I just picked up a set of drilled drums, am looking for ideas of other parts I can lighten for the old school look. Or if anybody has any lightened parts, backing plates, shift shaft, front upper trailing arms etc...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

i had a mazzone railbuggy that had rear drums drilled like that, i always wondered how the held up. i mean obviously that rail had been around for a while and still had the drums.. but how much action it saw? i dunno?
same buggy also had some of the tubes drilled too
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

Looks like a great way to have drum brakes fade really fast. No meat left on the friction surface. They would heat soak very quickly. Also looks like a great way to crack a drum. Those wide five drums were prone to cracking starting at the oil weep hole. Drilling it like that only increases the number of points a fatal crack could start from.

And all to save what? A few pounds per drum?

My opinion... avoid.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

Sand Drags only

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

regardless, im impressed at the symmetry they were able to achieve in drilling the holes...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

Show queen. You wouldn't actually put your life on the line driving with those!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

how do you know that? I probably would and not question it. ive driven alot of deathtraps and wrecked shit that shouldn't be on the road. pretty sure ive driven without any brakes at all and just had to down shift and then e- brake to completely stop
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

In life, there are many who believe that "cool" is spelled with an 'f'! Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

Someone did a beautiful job of machining those drums. Then polished and chrome plated them. The chrome plating weakens the iron. Makes it more brittle.

All those lightening holes are great for letting sand out of the brakes. And just as good for letting sand IN, which is not good. The holes dramatically reduce braking contact area Some holes are OK. So many big holes not good.

All-in all...I agree with oprn. Show queen stuff.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

Setting stuff like that up for drilling isn't hard. Use a lathe with an indexer to mark the circles and a set of flat calipers to find the exact measurement. Then center punch the holes.

That chroming almost looks like Hard Chrome. Either way, I'd cook it for several hours in the oven to bake the nitrogen out to keep it from being brittle.

Yeah, they're pretty but I'd never actually put them on to use. I think they'd blow up if they were hit hard.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
oprn wrote:

how do you know that? I probably would and not question it. ive driven alot of deathtraps and wrecked shit that shouldn't be on the road. pretty sure ive driven without any brakes at all and just had to down shift and then e- brake to completely stop

Absolutely! So have I but I knew I had no brakes and drove accordingly and only until repairs could be made.

These drums on the other hand would give the driver the impression that they HAD brakes and then fail at a very critical moment! Ya! That's something you would put on your Ex's car to avoid alimony payments, then send her out into 5 o'clock rush hour traffic!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightened Sandrail parts? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
richardcraineum wrote:
oprn wrote:

Absolutely! So have I but I knew I had no brakes and drove accordingly and only until repairs could be made.

These drums on the other hand would give the driver the impression that they HAD brakes and then fail at a very critical moment! Ya! That's something you would put on your Ex's car to avoid alimony payments, then send her out into 5 o'clock rush hour traffic!

i cant disagree with that logic ! id say especially the last part but im afraid Murphy's law would kick in, ol lady die in a car crash, johny law somehow find this post, and off to prison i go... heheh
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: